"The Winchester Rifle" Conor Sheary

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
I recently read an article about the Penguins future Top 6 prospects, and the two players mentioned were Kapanen and Sheary. Sheary is tied for 2nd in AHL playoff scoring while playing 2 less games. Does anyone have any info on him? How old is he? Can he actually turn into a Top 6 winger?

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
He is a 22 year old lightning in a bottle type. He will be a good AHL player, not enough to be a top 6 talent IMO.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Undersized.. game doesn't translate to NHL, etc.. Chris Conner, Chris Bourque, Brett Sterling, Gibbons, etc..

If you're getting excited about the prospect of him tearing things up in the NHL, curb your enthusiasm.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sheary is not even Pittsburgh Penguins property. He's technically a UFA that is free to sign with any NHL team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Always figured he would be like the MacDonalds and Pesonen. AHL glory, NHL stumbler.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know most want to say the usual things for someone in his position - He's small, undrafted, didn't really put up insane numbers in the AHL...but it's all up to him to continue to develop, for a guy his size, he needs to look at MSL and be a lot stronger and all it takes is an opportunity and to make the most of it. A lot squander it, if he can manage to make his mark, he could be a decent prospect.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sheary is more skilled and has better vision than Gibbons and he's a better skater than Pesonen, Haydar, Krog etc.

He's small, but he's also quick and elusive. I'm not saying pencil him into the top six next year or anything, but there's an outside chance that they may have found themselves a gem.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Undersized.. game doesn't translate to NHL, etc.. Chris Conner, Chris Bourque, Brett Sterling, Gibbons, etc..

If you're getting excited about the prospect of him tearing things up in the NHL, curb your enthusiasm.

Tell that to Theo Fleury and Martin St. Louis. Not saying this kid is the next one but who are you to say he isn't? I didn't realize this board had so many pro scouts posting here. :sarcasm:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Tell that to Theo Fleury and Martin St. Louis. Not saying this kid is the next one but who are you to say he isn't? I didn't realize this board had so many pro scouts posting here. :sarcasm:

Small guys that make it tend to have a combination of insane speed + incredible strength to go along with their high skill. That's what separates the Fleurys & St. Louis from the Chris Bourques, Bret Sterlings and Zach Boychuks. Sheary appears to be more of the latter than the former, though I'm rooting for him.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
A winger from WBS? He must be a bust :sarcasm:
Except Bennett that played there half a season, we don't have a single forward developed from the AHL stably on the roster (maybe one day Megna, Wilson, Rust ...).
Or maybe he will be our Tylor Johnson, who knows.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Sheary is more skilled and has better vision than Gibbons and he's a better skater than Pesonen, Haydar, Krog etc.

He's small, but he's also quick and elusive. I'm not saying pencil him into the top six next year or anything, but there's an outside chance that they may have found themselves a gem.

He's done enough to earn himself a 2 way contract this offseason and a cup of coffee during the season to see what he might be able to do with the big club. There are plenty of small players who have success in this league but his size means hes top 6 or bust, and thats a tough egg to crack given his pedigree.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I doubt he's an NHL player, but WE should be the ones to find out one way or the other for ourselves. Sign him up.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Martin St Louis has a set of legs so thick they wouldn't look out of place on Jagr. He's always been under-height, but he's also always had NHL strength (not to mention he's crazy elusive). Plus, there's the whole Hall of Fame level vision and hockey IQ thing. St Louis was roughly a 2 ppg player in college, where Sheary is a little under 1 ppg.

It's not a given that Sheary's nothing (though the odds aren't exactly in his favor), but there's little with him that bears invoking a St Louis comparison at this point--who's an historical exception in more ways than one.

For Fleury's part, he had this impossible Kamikaze drive in him. You'd have to give Sheary everything positive Bobby Farnham's got going for him to get a player that could succeed on the same terms that TF did. Even then, I don't know if Sheary shoots slapshots or wrist shots as well as Theo did.

jboyd919

Oct 30, 2011
Tyler Johnson is 5'8" and is possibly competing for the Conn Smythe right now... size has nothing to do with hockey, if you're a good hockey player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Small guys that make it tend to have a combination of insane speed + incredible strength to go along with their high skill. That's what separates the Fleurys & St. Louis from the Chris Bourques, Bret Sterlings and Zach Boychuks. Sheary appears to be more of the latter than the former, though I'm rooting for him.

Gaudreau is fast and skilled but not strong and yet...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tyler Johnson is 5'8" and is possibly competing for the Conn Smythe right now... size has nothing to do with hockey, if you're a good hockey player.

Exactly.

The difference is there is opportunity. For an example let's use Johnston & Red Wings since Babcock was vocal about how the Wings elected not to sign him as a FA...had the Wings signed him and gave him that chance, they would have him in their top 6 and be sitting pretty for their future down the middle. Instead, the Bolts gave him a shot and have given more smaller guys a shot in general than most teams and they keep rolling with it because they understand that skill can sometimes over come things, at worst it can either be wasted on a big guy that never pans out or a small guy that does or vice versa for both...but the point is that you have to give out equal opportunities for both cases.

Pens don't.

Which is why I see this team struggling with prospects wanting to come here, let alone the team actually reaching out in the first place. Sheary was probably someone Botterill saw and thought, hey this kid has some serious skill...his employer is probably like yeah no, for your AHL team, not our NHL team...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Good call. Now compare Sheary and Gaudreau's numbers in the NCAA.

Not saying they are comparable skill wise, but if Connor Sheary can get stronger, why not?

I'm not saying he's the answer to any of our problems, but hell, if the kid can get stronger and handle himself better in traffic, the Pens have promoted much much worse.

Better yet, the Pens have awarded contracts to much worse.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not saying they are comparable skill wise, but if Connor Sheary can get stronger, why not?

I'm not saying he's the answer to any of our problems, but hell, if the kid can get stronger and handle himself better in traffic, the Pens have promoted much much worse.

Better yet, the Pens have awarded contracts to much worse.

Are you saying Sheary could be better than Craig Adams?

Blasphemy.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I doubt he's an NHL player, but WE should be the ones to find out one way or the other for ourselves. Sign him up.

Absolutely. They took a chance on Dea after his ridiculous QMJHL numbers, so why not take a chance on Sheary based even solely on his AHL postseason numbers?

I hope they realize this.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2