Pre-Game Talk: The Wild come to Ottawa, Tues. 7:30 on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2 points separate these teams, but they have a Wild Card spot at the moment! :popcorn:

:wild vs :sens

If only we played in the weak western conference, we might just have been able to sneak in...

In all seriousness though, I always thought that if they were going to have unbalanced conferences, they should have made the wild cards crossoverable (is that a word?)

Top 3 from each division make it, then the next best 4 teams league wide (or at least the last 2 wild card spots)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If only we played in the weak western conference, we might just have been able to sneak in...

In all seriousness though, I always thought that if they were going to have unbalanced conferences, they should have made the wild cards crossoverable (is that a word?)

Top 3 from each division make it, then the next best 4 teams league wide (or at least the last 2 wild card spots)

travel.

can't have a western team in a east playoff or vice versa.

imagine a round 1 matchup of the nucks and panthers.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
travel.

can't have a western team in a east playoff or vice versa.

imagine a round 1 matchup of the nucks and panthers.

Detroit dealt with it for a long time.

Seriously though, what's 5 hours first class on a plane? It's really no biggie. 3 hours time difference for elite athletes, oh no!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it is horse **** that the conferences is unbalanced.

Ditto.

Stupid damned Rocky Mountains. If it wasn't for them, we'd have a much better population spread across the continent. :rant:

Oh, and just win. We need to finish the season on a reasonably good note.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Detroit dealt with it for a long time.

Seriously though, what's 5 hours first class on a plane? It's really no biggie. 3 hours time difference for elite athletes, oh no!

It still messes with you more than saying a short flight from Ottawa to Montreal. Think about the top seeds having to play those out of conference wild cards it wouldn't be fair for them, they played well to gain an advantage in the playoffs and the travel eliminates that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We beat the Marlies and everyone thinks we are turning it around, but we'll go back to our old ways and lose this game in ugly fashion. Im thinking 40 shots against tonight.

The fanbase has been fed that this is a good team for so long everyone is looking for that turning point, they think it was the Saturday win against the Marlies. It wasn't. Back to our old ways tonight.

Minny is playing for something. Ottawa is playing to score.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It still messes with you more than saying a short flight from Ottawa to Montreal. Think about the top seeds having to play those out of conference wild cards it wouldn't be fair for them, they played well to gain an advantage in the playoffs and the travel eliminates that.

True, but there will always be unfavourable matchups. For example, NYR vs NJ, compared to Detroit vs Florida.

I completely understand your argument, but there is a certain level of "luck of the draw" involved in playoff matchups, and travel time affects both teams. The team going to the next round may have the short end of the stick though, I won't deny that, but that's how it goes. They are pros and should suck it up.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
We beat the Marlies and everyone thinks we are turning it around, but we'll go back to our old ways and lose this game in ugly fashion. Im thinking 40 shots against tonight.

The fanbase has been fed that this is a good team for so long everyone is looking for that turning point, they think it was the Saturday win against the Marlies. It wasn't. Back to our old ways tonight.

Minny is playing for something. Ottawa is playing to score.

Who thinks this?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Those top seeds get to play the worst teams in the playoffs. That's advantage enough.

Besides, it's not like the wild card team doesn't have the same disadvantage. The only issue is the additional fatigue that may carry over to the next round, but like DUD (sorry didn't realize what turning your name into an acronym would do until it was too late, and I ain't changing it now) said, Detroit dealt with it for years and won plenty of cups. Columbus dealt with it too, though not with as many cup runs...

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Could be a good game tonight. Think we win 4-2. As to the playoffs, if you ask me the format should be top 16 teams regardless of conference with the 4 division winners getting the first 4 seeds regardless of their point #.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Could be a good game tonight. Think we win 4-2. As to the playoffs, if you ask me the format should be top 16 teams regardless of conference with the 4 division winners getting the first 4 seeds regardless of their point #.

I'd like NFL/MLB style divisions. Each conference has a West division.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I'm from out of town and am taking my daughter to the game tonite. We have tickets behind the Wild bench. Too bad the Sens are on the outside looking in... was hoping that they would have been sitting pretty by now. A solid effort and a win would make it worthwhile attending.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Strange that it has dragged on for a couple years now, any other pro sport give a competitive advantage to half the teams over the other half?

Travel and time zones don't matter, anyone that plays sports witha a somewhat regular daily routine knows it's easier to play a 4pm game vs a 10pm game on the old body clock which only adds to the advantage.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Strange that it has dragged on for a couple years now, any other pro sport give a competitive advantage to half the teams over the other half?

Travel and time zones don't matter, anyone that plays sports witha a somewhat regular daily routine knows it's easier to play a 4pm game vs a 10pm game on the old body clock which only adds to the advantage.

The MLB used to have more teams in the NL than the AL. That only changed a coupke of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad