The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm coming to a Habs game supporting a different team. I know the bell center can be a bit wild, but should I expect backlash for wearing the jersey of another team?

I appreciate any responses.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm coming to a Habs game supporting a different team. I know the bell center can be a bit wild, but should I expect backlash for wearing the jersey of another team?

No worries mate! Montreal is in a pathetic state and they might only want to jump ship to the team you're supporting,all for the cause. lol

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021

Nothing physical if that's what you're concerned about - There may be some characters who say something dumb but that's likely wherever you go. As long as you aren't obnoxious it'll be completely fine.

If anything maybe some casual trolling if Montreal ends up winning but again, nothing malicious. Hope you have a great experience

Reactions: Gravity

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

There's idiots everywhere but you should have no issues. I've gone to games against the Bruins and Rangers with a Bruins and Rangers fan each time and they had no issues.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Not sure if this allowed, let me know if not. Got a spare ticket for Sugar Sammy on 4th Feb that I can't make anymore. Venue is Salle Pierre-Mercure on Maisonneuve E - Cost $75

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
My brother wants to visit Montreal but is scared he can’t speak French. Advice?

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Thanks for the answer. He wants to visit Montreal and go to a game at the bell center.

NHLStatsMan67

Feb 15, 2024
Cole Harbour
I was in Montreal between January 11-14 and watched my first Montreal Canadiens game live where they lost 2-1 in overtime to the Oilers. I also saw Mount Royal and the Olympic Stadium and the Expo Ball and ate at a restaurant on the 46th floor with a great view of the city and I took the train from Brassard to Montreal and walked around Brasssard.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
My brother wants to visit Montreal but is scared he can’t speak French. Advice?
No worries mate! we visited last summer with a group of friends from Australia and had no significant issues. Some of us speak some French and the only real issues was a couple of times we requested English menus. Seemed to upset the staff and wondered why we don't know French. Most of our group had very obvious Australian accents, but some people are incredible dim and clueless.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hey guys, the wife and I are looking to visit in late April. Just looking for some recommendations for restaurants and the sights. What's something that's uniquely Montreal we could do? Museums, sights etc?

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Hey guys, the wife and I are looking to visit in late April. Just looking for some recommendations for restaurants and the sights. What's something that's uniquely Montreal we could do? Museums, sights etc?
Don't know what you like eating or would like to try, so I'll hold off on restaurant recommendations. I would recommend visiting Old Montreal, Notre-Dame, Marie Reine du Monde, St. Joseph's Oratory, Mont-Royal, the Botanical Garden, Museum of Fine Arts, and the area around Olympic Park.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anything happening in the city or close by that's worth doing or checking out?

Driving around it's nice to know somethings haven't changed, the streets and roads are as immaculate as ever. No wonder Habs fans are behind tanking as it's the most suitable vehicle for those roads.:nod:

• Haha
Reactions: rik schau

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Been passing through and unique to Montreal is something I refer to as slalom driving. It's like slalom skiing except as you drive, you try to avoid all the potholes.:nod:

• Haha
Reactions: rik schau

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Anything happening in the city or close by that's worth doing or checking out?

Driving around it's nice to know somethings haven't changed, the streets and roads are as immaculate as ever. No wonder Habs fans are behind tanking as it's the most suitable vehicle for those roads.:nod:
I'd recommend parking the car and using the Metro or taking a walk, though you may have some difficulty finding a parking space.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
User comments very supportive of this ranking. Had no idea Montreal was so highly regarded by visitors.

New York is probably my favourite out of that list - excluding Montreal. San Fran is great, Chicago is cool… was in Boston but too young to comment. Cool list of cities.

I’d add

Prague
Rome
Paris
Hong Kong - circa 20 years ago

Montreal is right there with any of these. Great nightlife, food… just fun.

Reactions: windycity

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If you're considering Moe's up north, might be wiser to consider Gibbys, can't go wrong there where as the other place, used to be much better.

Used to be a time not that long ago that you could drop in at any random eatery in the GMA and you'd leave being satisfied if not impressed, time changes I guess. It seems one has to be more selective and informed so as to not get burned. Small sample size but feel like Indian cuisine is the most consistent, never has it been a disappointment and at times left feeling impressed.

User comments very supportive of this ranking. Had no idea Montreal was so highly regarded by visitors.

No Laval? I'm shocked.
What a list, tells you everything you need to know about North America doesn't it. Atlanta? come on, can't take that list seriously if it doesn't have Quebec city on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad