The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 5.0

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
My wife and I will be in Montreal in November for a few days. The necessary questions:

St. Viateur or Fairmount?
Where to get poutine?
Schwartz's or somewhere else for smoked meat?
Any must visit places?
For bagels, my favorite one is on Fairmount.
For an espresso coffee, any italian café would do or any café in Plateau Mont-Royal. This is the Manhattan or Soho of Montreal. And the Mile-End too, it's close. Duluth between St-Laurent and Carré St-Louis have very good little restaurants not too expensive. They have nice terraces on the back. Greek restaurants are great. There is a very good portugese restaurant on Duluth near Coloniale. The best hamburger is corner St-Hubert and Rachel. Frites Alors is very good for fries, belgium style. Mont-Royal between St-Denis and Papineau have nice cafés. Mont-Royal and St-Hubert is good for buying used cds and books. The best ice cream is Gastronomia Roberto on Bélanger street. This is real ice cream italian made.

Enjoy Montréal, bonjour chez vous! :)

Reactions: PaulD and Riggins

All Star John Scott

Jan 17, 2016
Hey fellas, going to Montreal in October for the GFs birthday and looking for some ideas of things to do. Unfortunately no pre-season games lol.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Visiting Montreal again, for the first time in 3 years. What is the best option for smoked meat these days? If I recall, Schwartz makes you share a table with strangers, which is probably a non-starter for my wife and son. What about Szechuan: Cuisine Szechuan on Guy St?

Edit: I've been an expat for 21 years now.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Visiting Montreal again, for the first time in 3 years. What is the best option for smoked meat these days? If I recall, Schwartz makes you share a table with strangers, which is probably a non-starter for my wife and son. What about Szechuan: Cuisine Szechuan on Guy St?

Seems there's a good smoked meat joint right across the street from Schwartz. It's been mentioned here before, but I have no clue what it's called. Anybody?

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Seems there's a good smoked meat joint right across the street from Schwartz. It's been mentioned here before, but I have no clue what it's called. Anybody?
Based on Google Maps. This is what is across from Schwartz.
1659401512772.png

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Jarry Smoked meat, but Schwartz is still good. It's been called overrated so much it's actually becoming underrated imo.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL

It's Le Main Deli. From what I remember it's good as well, and should be less crowded than Schwartz's.

With Schwartz's you can do take out as well and eat somewhere else. Parc Jeanne-Mance and the mountain are pretty close.

Reactions: peate

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Btw, I managed to score some tickets for the Canadian Open (National Bank Open) tennis. That's something to do in Montreal next week. I am a lifelong player and my 12-year-old son also loves the game. He is giddy about these tickets.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Any Habs fans live in Toronto? My daughter and her friends are planning a trip and I have some questions. Thanks everyone!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Okay everyone.....I need some ideas. Just booked tickets in March with my two teenagers. Arriving Sunday around 2 pm and leaving Tuesday at 11 am. Have tickets to a Monday night game against the Avs (woot woot!!!). Staying at the Novotel close to Centre Bell and hoping to park the car and walk everywhere.

Looking for a place to bring teens for dinner in Old Montreal Sunday night. I want them to see Old Montreal. Thinking Gibby's but am open to anything. Will Uber if we have too.

Thinking Monday morning, grabbing bagels somewhere near us....any recommendations.

Gonna hike Mont Royal in the morning and then Smoked meat for lunch (Dunn's or Reuben's?) or anything else in walking distance?

Game time dinner? Le Cage? Any other roadhouses in the vicinity we have to try?

Appreciate any thoughts!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The wife and I are going to the Habs Pens game on Sat. Nov 12th. ( Bergevin gone, so I'm back) Getting in to Montreal on Friday and staying the week end at the Marriot right near the Bell Center. Its been a while since we've been to "Canada's Best City".
So any downtown restaurant recommendations would be much appreciated !

Cheers

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Okay everyone.....I need some ideas. Just booked tickets in March with my two teenagers. Arriving Sunday around 2 pm and leaving Tuesday at 11 am. Have tickets to a Monday night game against the Avs (woot woot!!!). Staying at the Novotel close to Centre Bell and hoping to park the car and walk everywhere.

Looking for a place to bring teens for dinner in Old Montreal Sunday night. I want them to see Old Montreal. Thinking Gibby's but am open to anything. Will Uber if we have too.

Thinking Monday morning, grabbing bagels somewhere near us....any recommendations.

Gonna hike Mont Royal in the morning and then Smoked meat for lunch (Dunn's or Reuben's?) or anything else in walking distance?

Game time dinner? Le Cage? Any other roadhouses in the vicinity we have to try?

Appreciate any thoughts!
What's your budget for the restaurants?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Making my long awaited return to Montreal to take in a Bruins game for my birthday. Did it once in 2008, and again in 2009, haven't been back since. You guys steered me to Cafe Presto in 2008 and it was a solid rec back then. Not sure if it's the same today. Staying at the Sandman in Longueuil as I have before, familiar enough with the subway to get to the game.

Just need a dinner spot for the lady and I. Not looking for pub grub, something on the nicer side preferred.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
200 with no booze
There are so many good restaurants in Montreal. I say this as a guy who worked in the industry and know people who work as sommeliers or certified chefs. 200$ for the whole family... I'd say, look for specialized ethnic cuisine. Cage aux sports is fine but it's over-priced. Sometimes the sketchy but authentic chinese place is better. I'll ask my friend and I'll be back with an answer on underrated joints.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
There are so many good restaurants in Montreal. I say this as a guy who worked in the industry and know people who work as sommeliers or certified chefs. 200$ for the whole family... I'd say, look for specialized ethnic cuisine. Cage aux sports is fine but it's over-priced. Sometimes the sketchy but authentic chinese place is better. I'll ask my friend and I'll be back with an answer on underrated joints.
Thank you!

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Hi all - trying to buy 1 ticket to a game in November. Does anyone on TM where it says the "right behind ya offer" and what does that mean? Can't find anything on it anywhere?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hello friends, I will start by saying its pure irony that a MN fan is here on one of the two days we play each other, but my question is related to mid-January when I will be in town on business.

Myself and a few colleagues would love to catch the game on January 19th against Florida. Is there anywhere else aside from Ticketmaster and the NHL Exchange to find tickets? FB group, Exchange on this forumn, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
If youre looking for great poutine I recommend going to a hockey arena instead of a restaurant.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jarry Smoked meat, but Schwartz is still good. It's been called overrated so much it's actually becoming underrated imo.
I’ll beg to differ. I had a horrendous experience with a takeout order. Worst smoked meat I’ve had in my life. There were loads of unchewable, stringy, hard fat pieces that I couldn’t imagine would ever appear in an order for medium fat 2 lbs. smoked meat dish.

I lived too far away to go back and return it so I chose instead not to go back. And threw it out. It was disgusting. If I want smoked meat now, I’ll go to Schwartz’s or Dunn’s.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Thank you!
Copty-pasting what he sent me :

"Elena
knuckles
pumpui
mickercren
muimui
Des Korean BBQ
india Rosa
Impasto
ichigo ichi ou yokato yokabai
bistro la franquette
satay brothers
beba restaurant
ca c’est genre pour une famille de 4 avec pas trop d’accool et plus de bouffe (that's like for a family of four without too much alcohol but legit food quantity)"

I've been to Satay Brothers it was really good, it's Singapurian food.

Reactions: waitin425

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad