Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
To be fair, the article is not nearly as negative or inflammatory as the tweet.

Yeah, in fairness to Kurz, it's not by any means an article criticizing Karlsson. It's really just a write-up of the game that begins with a note on Karlsson's struggles.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If SJ peddled Karlsson at the deadline, what would he get?

He is obviously playing his worst hockey since 2010 + being a UFA, so his value can't be staggering at this point.

Mid 1st + B+ prospect, for the cup run?

Nash got a 1st, a B prospect, Spooner, and a 7th with the Rangers taking on about 1M in dead cap via Beleskey.

Even if Karlsson is unremarkable for the entire season, which would be surprising, San Jose could get back a big chunk of the perceived Sept 2018 value of what they gave up for Karlsson.

By that, I mean if Dylan Demelo moves to C and is the next Gretzky, obviously they aren't getting back that kind of value, but nobody would have perceived that to be likely at the time of the trade.

A GM will take a chance on Karlsson based on his previous play in the playoffs and the hope that playing for a big payday will further motivate him. That's the beauty of the trade for San Jose, short of a season ending injury they easily get back a 1st, 2nd, player, and a prospect (if not more) for Karl at the deadline. That's a huge chunk of what they gave up.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Nash got a 1st, a B prospect, Spooner, and a 7th with the Rangers taking on about 1M in dead cap via Beleskey.

Even if Karlsson is unremarkable for the entire season, which would be surprising, San Jose could get back a big chunk of the perceived Sept 2018 value of what they gave up for Karlsson.

By that, I mean if Dylan Demelo moves to C and is the next Gretzky, obviously they aren't getting back that kind of value, but nobody would have perceived that to be likely at the time of the trade.

A GM will take a chance on Karlsson based on his previous play in the playoffs and the hope that playing for a big payday will further motivate him. That's the beauty of the trade for San Jose, short of a season ending injury they easily get back a 1st, 2nd, player, and a prospect (if not more) for Karl at the deadline. That's a huge chunk of what they gave up.

The good news is this isn’t something we’re going to have to worry about.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
by the end of the season we will be looking back like "Hey, remember when everyone thought Karlsson had lost it and wanted to trade him? hahaha"

Seriously, people need to relax. If we traded for Ovechkin and he went 10 games without a goal, we would all pretty confident it was just a fluke. Karlsson will be fine. If anything, the struggly with changing teams may make him not want to do that again anytime soon once he gets it figured out again in San Jose.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
by the end of the season we will be looking back like "Hey, remember when everyone thought Karlsson had lost it and wanted to trade him? hahaha"

Seriously, people need to relax. If we traded for Ovechkin and he went 10 games without a goal, we would all pretty confident it was just a fluke. Karlsson will be fine. If anything, the struggly with changing teams may make him not want to do that again anytime soon once he gets it figured out again in San Jose.

Nobody wants to trade him. Senators fans are in here talking about us trading him because it makes them feel better.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nobody wants to trade him. Senators fans are in here talking about us trading him because it makes them feel better.
I don't know if its Sens fans speculating on that or not but its pointless trading him. This is going to be our all-in year and even if Karlsson was not clicking during the regular season we would still keep him around hoping for a playoff run. Not that this matters. Karlsson has not been his best for us yet but last game showed what he can do. If he continues to play that way, we are going to be a very very dangerous team in the playoffs.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
No kidding. We're either paying an extra 1st round pick to Ottawa to do that or trading him to a competitor in the West. Neither option is as appealing as even just having a struggling and uncomfortable Erik Karlsson on our team. lol

Only way it could happen is if the injury bug takes many players from us for the season and we are on the outside looking in at the TDL. Barring all four wheels falling off this car at the same time, EK65 will end the season in teal.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I don't know if its Sens fans speculating on that or not but its pointless trading him. This is going to be our all-in year and even if Karlsson was not clicking during the regular season we would still keep him around hoping for a playoff run. Not that this matters. Karlsson has not been his best for us yet but last game showed what he can do. If he continues to play that way, we are going to be a very very dangerous team in the playoffs.

My Limited viewing read on Karlsson is that he is a generational talent for the transitional game (stretch passes, dangles, open-ice vision). When it comes to Sharks possession and cycling game, he is still excellent but his skills only give a small advantage (whereas in an open-ice situation, his skills gives his team a huge advantage).

I don't see this start as only him struggling. I see it as our team and system need to meet him in the middle if we are going to get the most out of this all in-year.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My Limited viewing read on Karlsson is that he is a generational talent for the transitional game (stretch passes, dangles, open-ice vision). When it comes to Sharks possession and cycling game, he is still excellent but his skills only give a small advantage (whereas in an open-ice situation, his skills gives his team a huge advantage).

I don't see this start as only him struggling. I see it as our team and system need to meet him in the middle if we are going to get the most out of this all in-year.

I see what you are saying but not sure if I agree with you. The way I look at it is that if a D-man like Burns can still be superstar with our system, there is no reason EK65 cannot continue to do the same.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Karlsson even strictly in our possession game offers the team a ginormous advantage. A player with his sort of breakout skills is opening up the neutral zone a tremendous amount. I think people underestimate just how big of a deal it is to have two d-men that breakout the puck like Burns and Karlsson do and what it means for the possession game. We're spending a lot less time in our own zone even if Karlsson's offensive side doesn't show with how our cycle game plays out. And no matter who our 3rd pairing is, they're spending less time in the defensive zone as well between it having Braun on it or if Vlasic, Karlsson, and Burns are all on different pairings. This is even more so true given how dominant the Suomela-Donskoi pairing is playing right now. Like they're playing at a level that if it keeps up, would be the best 3rd line this team has ever had.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
it's not like it's right up there in my posts or anything :rolleyes:
No, I don't see a single link posted from you revealing any information what you have drawn your conclusions from. In other words, from what did you draw your conclusions that Karlsson is a somewhat insignicant player when he faces strong teams? Again, you mentioned you wanted to look at Karlsson objectively. So share your information. We have already heard your conclusions. If you have already posted links to the source you've retrieved your information from, I apologize, but I'm a buffoon who cannot find it. Also, what is the sample of your conclusion? What time scale? Can you at least answer that?

Why do I ask? Because both from the eye test and the corsi statistics I've seen, Karlsson has been dominant in Ottawa. He has had much better corsi than any of their players, especially compared to the quality of the opposition he has faced. He steals pucks, he pressures players into bad decisions, he blocks a ton of shots, turning them into turnovers, he's no slouch at what he does in the defensive game. He turns pucks into possession like no other and often turns them into counterattacks. That you claim he can't do it "because you haven't seen it" is ridiculous. Compare his corsi vs strong teams with his teammates. What does your statistics find? What does the eye test find?

I think Karlsson is still emotionally turbulent about the trade. A guy stating it was heartbreaking to leave Ottawa means it, when his other press conference is him revealing his own injury in the playoffs. It's not for show. This guy doesn't hide from questions, at all. San Jose won't see the real Karlsson until they've made it feel like a new home. And, he yet again missed a large part of the off-season, having minimal time to mesh with his new team - all that is not easy. It will take some time for him to mesh in.

Last edited:

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I see what you are saying but not sure if I agree with you. The way I look at it is that if a D-man like Burns can still be superstar with our system, there is no reason EK65 cannot continue to do the same.

What I am trying and apparently failing to convey, is that in order to best use Karlsson's skill set we may need to adapt our strategies and tactics. Right now, the team is centered around Thornton and his amazing skill set. I am hoping as the season progresses, we make a few adjustments to accentuate Karlsson's amazing skill sets.

Yes, Karlsson could adjust to our system and still do wonders for us. I am just hoping we find a way to maximize our chances this season.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Exactly. Until proven otherwise, I firmly believe that the extension is already worked out and they are simply waiting until after the deadline to sign. It's a done deal.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
What I am trying and apparently failing to convey, is that in order to best use Karlsson's skill set we may need to adapt our strategies and tactics. Right now, the team is centered around Thornton and his amazing skill set. I am hoping as the season progresses, we make a few adjustments to accentuate Karlsson's amazing skill sets.

Yes, Karlsson could adjust to our system and still do wonders for us. I am just hoping we find a way to maximize our chances this season.

I don't seen how this teams current play style is even remotely centered around a guy who hasn't played more than a few games in a calendar year. Karlsson last game proves he's getting comfortable, not necessarily adapting to the Sharks "system" and starting to do the things that make him unique. No where in the Sharks system is there a play where a D-man dangles end to end or makes a 120ft tape to tape pass.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As much as Ottawa fans want to believe that we are going to trade Karlsson, or that he is “sulking” here becauses he misses playing for Ottawa, it is simply not true and they should probably stick to the Senators forum if they want to try to convince themselves that their silly fantasies are plausible.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
As much as Ottawa fans want to believe that we are going to trade Karlsson, or that he is “sulking” here becauses he misses playing for Ottawa, it is simply not true and they should probably stick to the Senators forum if they want to try to convince themselves that their silly fantasies are plausible.

He actually looks happy out there. So he is either happy or faking it for the cameras. I’m betting on the former.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I don’t think out current style is centered around Jumbo. Burns is the player who our offense is going through. Has been for atleast a couple of years.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Side note: did anyone before the trade expect Karlsson to score goals at a high rate? I thought he was always a pass first player.

I was gonna bring this up too. He's hit 20 goals a couple of times but it's not like he's flirted with 30 goals like Burns. He's known for his amazing passing and vision. He can shoot and score goals too but I don't see the big deal over him not having a goal yet. I expect 15-20 goals from him which isn't out of the ordinary for a top d-man. It's the playmaking and assists that make him who he is.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Let's be fair. A lot of Sens fans came in here thinking to Join us because they were mad at Karlsson being traded.

Within a week, they were like "Jeez, I thought the sens board was bad for doom and gloom, take it easy on blaming Karlsson guys". Not surprisingly since we do historically have a lot of "Glass is half empty" posters here who hate on everyone except their personal favorites. The amount of "OMG WE LOST THE TRADE" talk has been staggering before the 10 game mark. Give the man time.

Christ we had one poster screaming at the top of their lungs not to extend Evander Kane because of his history of abusing women(Which courts have basically proven were lies). That poster despite him being cleared still drove conversations about his "Ego" to the point where it is basically an inside joke on the Sharks section now to make comments on Kane's ego and Selfishness on goals and assists.

Last edited by a moderator:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
What I love about watching Karlsson that none of our other Dmen have the ability to do is even when he makes a dangerous pinch and gets beat he is able to turn on the jets and track the puck carrier down with ease. It’s so awesome to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad