TSN: The value of a forward with net-front presence

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not that bad? The bulk of our offensive game rely on shooting from all angle and get the rebound to score goals, we use that freaking strat on the PP as well ffs. We are awful at it btw.

"shoot da puck, go for rebound"

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Isn't this good coaching ? Trying to exploit you players best qualities? Maybe they should try Gallagher on the point during PP , it would definitely be a better strategy...

No michelle likes DD or pleks there when he uses a forward. lol

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Isn't this good coaching ? Trying to exploit you players best qualities? Maybe they should try Gallagher on the point during PP , it would definitely be a better strategy...

There is no good coaching in Montreal.

Have watched Gallagher since he was a kid. Played this way before Therrien ever heard of him. MT deserves as much credit for Gallaghers game as he does for Carey Prices. None. Zero. Zilch.

Funny how the best two players on the habs (now) are the two that Therrien has absolutely nothing to do with their game. 11 and 31

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There is no good coaching in Montreal.

Have watched Gallagher since he was a kid. Played this way before Therrien ever heard of him. MT deserves as much credit for Gallaghers game as he does for Carey Prices. None. Zero. Zilch.

Funny how the best two players on the habs (now) are the two that Therrien has absolutely nothing to do with their game. 11 and 31

Funny that Quenville has nothing to do with Toews and Kane's game....funny how any coach in Pittsbrgh has nothing to do with Malkin and Crosby's game........funny how any coach in LA has nothing to do with Kopitar and Doughty's game..........I can keep going!

We all dislike Therrien for various reasons, but you can't deny the fact that he and the crew developed some of our players into GOOD NHL PLAYERS!! To deny this is to expose your biased hatred towards him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's because management, coaching, the system, and the way the team is built are all ****ing horrible.

Are we supposed to be sheep and smile and pretend that Bergevin and Therrien are competent, good hockey executives?

I am positive about the things that there are to be positive about. Montreal has the best goalie in the world.

No, you certainly don't have to be sheep and smile....but does it always have to be so morbid around here?

I understand that the coaching/management has a lot of people sour on the team, I really do get it, but other than Carey Price....

There are a lot of reasons to be excited and optimistic about this team.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
One bad year where we were plagued by injuries and everyone is freaking out. This is still a good team. Its not like everyone has regressed.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Another thread that's gone off topic.

I'm not sure if anyone has the stats, but I feel Weber will get pucks to the net more often than PK. PK kind of irritated me on the PP, there's always a fake shot that he holds as a fake far too long, or he one-times it wide. He was good at entering the zone though. I suspect Radulov will really help in this regard. The second unit having a presence like Shaw will help too.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Funny that Quenville has nothing to do with Toews and Kane's game....funny how any coach in Pittsbrgh has nothing to do with Malkin and Crosby's game........funny how any coach in LA has nothing to do with Kopitar and Doughty's game..........I can keep going!

We all dislike Therrien for various reasons, but you can't deny the fact that he and the crew developed some of our players into GOOD NHL PLAYERS!! To deny this is to expose your biased hatred towards him.

Exposed ?? lol Ya think. I have loather him and his lack of coaching skills since the first time he was in Montreal.

I Agree with Pens management....fire his ass and watch the team improve immediately.

He stinks. I Also agree with every gm in the league that would not hire him after Pens canned him. MB hires the unemployed bum. Not a speck of doubt that if he did not speak french he would not be coaching anywhere.

I fail to see the connection in the stanley cup winning super stars, and stanley cup winning coaches you mention...............they have something in common with Therrien???? Who are these players he has developed? Price, Subban, Gallagher......yes Im sure they all credit Therrien for their success. LOL

Guy cant even get along with PK Subban???? . Norris trophy winning superstar.

Therrien is the worst coach in the league and coached the habs to their worst collapse in history.

Take a pole and 80 percent of fans would say he should already be canned and out of the league. 19 per cent could not care less.

Am i "exposing my bias" ?? Darn tootin I am. Me and thousands of others. :laugh:

Last edited:

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Exposed ?? lol Ya think. I have loather him and his lack of coaching skills since the first time he was in Montreal.

I Agree with Pens management....fire his ass and watch the team improve immediately.

He stinks. I Also agree with every gm in the league that would not hire him after Pens canned him. MB hires the unemployed bum. Not a speck of doubt that if he did not speak french he would not be coaching anywhere.

I fail to see the connection in the stanley cup winning super stars, and coaches you mention...............they have something in common with Therrien???? Who are these players he has developed? lmao

Guy cant even get along with PK Subban???? . Norris trophy winning superstar.

Therrien is the worst coach in the league and coached the habs to their worst collapse in history.

Take a pole and 80 percent of fans would say he should already be canned and out of the league.

Am i "exposing my bias" ?? Darn tootin I am. Me and thousands of others. :laugh:

He sucks.

What examples of super stars and coaches on stanley cup winning

Come on man - don't hold back - what do you really think of him?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

I'm not sure if anyone has the stats, but I feel Weber will get pucks to the net more often than PK. PK kind of irritated me on the PP, there's always a fake shot that he holds as a fake far too long, or he one-times it wide. He was good at entering the zone though. I suspect Radulov will really help in this regard. The second unit having a presence like Shaw will help too.

Well Wber scored 20 last year. PK 6. So its not a secret that PK does not bring more offence to the table. More flash. But not a harder shot, not more goals. So yes Weber will bring his great skills. As did PK bring his.

If Washington and Chicago were to make a trade 0V for Kane. Nobody would lose or win that trade. Both equally as valuable with different high skill set.

Same with PK and Weber.

Everyone know that the habs cant score. Everyone knows ths habe need a center man and have for years. If mb had the balls to trade PK it should have been for a center.

One star D for another star D??? come on.

Hope they lose every game so MT and MB are gone ASAP.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Well Wber scored 20 last year. PK 6. So its not a secret that PK does not bring more offence to the table. More flash. But not a harder shot, not more goals. So yes Weber will bring his great skills. As did PK bring his.

If Washington and Chicago were to make a trade 0V for Kane. Nobody would lose or win that trade. Both equally as valuable with different high skill set.

Same with PK and Weber.

Everyone know that the habs cant score. Everyone knows ths habe need a center man and have for years. If mb had the balls to trade PK it should have been for a center.

One star D for another star D??? come on.

Hope they lose every game so MT and MB are gone ASAP.

Man our defense sans pk or weber would be hilarious.

This topic has gone off the rails though lol. I think the value of that net front presence will be felt much more this season. We have guys that drive the puck to the net more this year and we'll likely see guys like Gallagher, Shaw and patches have bigger influences than they did last year when we played perimeter hockey.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No, you certainly don't have to be sheep and smile....but does it always have to be so morbid around here?

I understand that the coaching/management has a lot of people sour on the team, I really do get it, but other than Carey Price....

There are a lot of reasons to be excited and optimistic about this team.

I'm excited about next season. Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, McCarron, Lehkonen, Reway, Carr, Ghetto and other notable younger players who could all have improved. It will be interesting to see where they are all at. And of course there's the Sergachev matter !

Also, the new faces Montoya, Radulov, Weber and Shaw will also be of high interest.

I'll be looking forward to see the changes to our PP, with Muller and Weber.

How will we look with a healthy Price?

Certainly, lots to be excited about for next season. And some guys will have a lot of pressure to step up their game to make us forget about their awful season last year. Next season should be a lot more fun.

But will it be enough to be a contender ?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm excited about next season. Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, McCarron, Lehkonen, Reway, Carr, Ghetto and other notable younger players who could all have improved. It will be interesting to see where they are all at. And of course there's the Sergachev matter !

Also, the new faces Montoya, Radulov, Weber and Shaw will also be of high interest.

Certainly, lots to be excited about for next season. And some guys will have a lot of pressure to step up their game to make us forget about their awful season last year. Next season should be a lot more fun.

If our key players can avoid serious injuries - I don't see why Habs can't contend

Yes, even with Therrien

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Honestly, Weber's job is not to put pucks on net. It's to put them IN the net. I hope our guys are going to get out of the way.

Don't really need them to deflect, it will just go in on its own. What we need is shooting threats all over the ice so that they can't just put 100% of their attention on Weber. Guys who can move the puck well. A lot of talent on the ice.

I could be wrong though.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
someone literally post proof with stats that we are a good team at forwards in front of the net and habs haters still posting about how awful our team is :laugh:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
someone literally post proof with stats that we are a good team at forwards in front of the net and habs haters still posting about how awful our team is :laugh:

Here's the thing, rebounds account for around 8-10% of goals scored according to the below link. It says 8% but that only accounts for 76% of all goals. If we keep the same proportion, maybe 10% of all goals are rebounds ?

http://www.msgnetworks.com/shows/hockey-night-live/chris-boyle/green--red-and-yellow-shots.html

Being amazing at 10% of all goals scored, and not being good at all the rest, including other areas that are more efficient... is not good.

It's not really being negative to point that out. It's the truth.

Not to mention that the TSN link shows REBOUNDS by 60. Not even goals off of rebounds by 60. Just rebounds. So if someone is in a scrum in front of the net and gets 2-3 shots with zero real chance of scoring off of the pads of a goalie who was in position all along... is that really efficient ?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Here's the thing, rebounds account for around 8-10% of goals scored according to the below link. It says 8% but that only accounts for 76% of all goals. If we keep the same proportion, maybe 10% of all goals are rebounds ?

http://www.msgnetworks.com/shows/hockey-night-live/chris-boyle/green--red-and-yellow-shots.html

Being amazing at 10% of all goals scored, and not being good at all the rest, including other areas that are more efficient... is not good.

It's not really being negative to point that out. It's the truth.

Not to mention that the TSN link shows REBOUNDS by 60. Not even goals off of rebounds by 60. Just rebounds. So if someone is in a scrum in front of the net and gets 2-3 shots with zero real chance of scoring off of the pads of a goalie who was in position all along... is that really efficient ?

It's just pure logic that if you're able to be first on the puck for rebounds a lot more then the D's , you have more chances to score no?

And this Habs can't score goals myth is pure BS.

Last year we finished 16th in scoring with a bunch of AHLers on the team .

We're in the middle of the pack in scoring, we're not awful as it's been painted.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's just pure logic that if you're able to be first on the puck for rebounds a lot more then the D's , you have more chances to score no?

And this Habs can't score goals myth is pure BS.

Last year we finished 16th in scoring with a bunch of AHLers on the team .

We're in the middle of the pack in scoring, we're not awful as it's been painted.

Yeah, and the year before where did we finish again ? 20th...

Year before that ? 21st...

And we had zero significant injuries in 13-14 and 14-15.

We're really amazing at scoring goals.

Rebounds are one way to score goals. Not even the most efficient way.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Man our defense sans pk or weber would be hilarious.

This topic has gone off the rails though lol. I think the value of that net front presence will be felt much more this season. We have guys that drive the puck to the net more this year and we'll likely see guys like Gallagher, Shaw and patches have bigger influences than they did last year when we played perimeter hockey.

That would be nice to see. At times maybe....sustainable. I doubt it.

Chucky in a dominating role at center is needed.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Under Therrien? Contender? Nope.

"More fun this season compared to last"

yes but so would picking up dog doo in the back yard.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

definitely excited.

it depends if Weber gets a mobile partner or at least someone who works well with him whether it's Beaulieu or Sergachev or Fowler or Markov. NB won't be gifted that spot, he'll have to wrestle it away from Markov (if there's not trade).

That's the first factor the 2nd factor is Radulov panning out. If there's no problems and he plays like he can then we'd be in good shape.

If both these things happen then I think we'd be damn close. A Radulov playing like he can is a huge boost to our top 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad