The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
4:07 left and 5 seconds left on the kill.

back to 5 on 5 with 3:49 to go. This is the point where the Comets have blown 3 games very recently and 2 of those were with 2 goal leads.

Needless to say, I'm not very optimistic about them holding this lead.

Guess you'd be right to call me negative on this issue.

The shots are coming from everywhere and the Comets barely get it out before it comes back in.

2:10 to go.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Domingue will be leaving any second now.

Comets get it into the Crunch zone, but they come right back. Face off to come in the Utica end with the net empty.

A huge STOP by DEMKO off the draw. this is how it happens. they lose the draws and the shots come on onetimers off the draw.

Comets hit the post on the empty net.

Cassels in on the empty net and got it stripped, but it's a hooking call.

PP for the Comets with :54 left.

Syracuse will pull the keeper and go 5 on 5 the second they gain possession. The key here is once again the draw. Comets need to win the draw and play keep away. They did WIN the DRAW and the play went back and forth., but Syracuse was never allowed to get anything going.

Time runs out. Comets celebrate!

Wait-------The refs call everyone back and .08 seconds are put back. Chaput wins ANOTHER draw and that's it.

C-O-M-E-T-S W-I-I-I-I-I-I-IN! !! ! ! !

2-1

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets paid attention to keeping the score down. The Crunch don't win when they don't score at least 3.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In Summation

Utica Comets 2 Syracuse Crunch 1

SOG:
Comets 9 9 7 - 25
Crunch 1 8 15 - 24

PP:
Comets 0/6
Crunch 0/4

1/Chaput (9) from Molino (3) and Blujus? (3) This assist was officially credited to Wiercioch. That's impossible. Wiercioch was penalized at 18:54 of the First period. Chaput scored at :54 of the Second Period. that's exactly the time Wiercioch's penalty expired. There is no way he touched that puck anywhere along the way into the net!

2/Molino (2) from Cassels (5)

Demko 23/24

3 Stars:
1 - Michael Chaput (Utica Comets) 1G
2 - Louis Domingue (Syracuse Crunch) 23/25
3 - Zack MacEwen (Utica Comets) 0G/0A
This is bogus as well. I have not been a big booster of Griffen Molino, but credit is due when deserved. The only 2 point guy on the night with a goal and an assist and his goal was the game winner! Should have been a star somewhere in the 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tonight was a perfect example of why you don't screw around with short numbers on your roster when it's not necessary.

They released Lowry yesterday because they acquired Arseneau and Moynihan was called up. Logic is one can play and one can sit as the extra forward. They lost Darcy and logic goes out the window. Suddenly, they don't have any extra forwards for the next night. Thus, they go with the 12 in house for the game tonight with Syracuse. You should always be carrying 2-3 EXTRA forwards and at least 2 extra D. They only have Watson now as an extra D after Chatfield went down last night. They play again in 4 days. Over the Christmas break, work needs to be done to get more bodies on this roster, temporary or not.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The Comets paid attention to keeping the score down. The Crunch don't win when they don't score at least 3.
Nice to see an undermanned lineup competing and winning. Your top two scores are in Vancouver but different guys picking up the slack. Demko with another win. If Backman steps up Utica should be competitive I wonder if it is impossible for Backman to lose his job? Our Ehl goalie would likely out perform him this year. Probably do not want to rock the boat and Backman has a two year contract I think, but really at some point a change needs to be made if this continues.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Nice to see an undermanned lineup competing and winning. Your top two scores are in Vancouver but different guys picking up the slack. Demko with another win. If Backman steps up Utica should be competitive I wonder if it is impossible for Backman to lose his job? Our Ehl goalie would likely out perform him this year. Probably do not want to rock the boat and Backman has a two year contract I think, but really at some point a change needs to be made if this continues.

The problem is that Garteig is hardly playing in the ECHL. He has 6 starts and a GAA of 3.79. starter has played 20 games and a GAA of 3.07.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The problem is that Garteig is hardly playing in the ECHL. He has 6 starts and a GAA of 3.79. starter has played 20 games and a GAA of 3.07.

Yeah, even on his best day Garteig is not the better keeper between himself and BACHMAN (note the spelling).

I'm not going to make any excuses for Bachie. He has given up some stinkers, but he has also been abandoned on many occasions and can't be faulted at all for many of his goals against.

Garteig started 6 games last season and surrendered 21 goals (4,3,4,3,2,5). He lost every start.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Figured it was only a matter of time until Molino started to figure it out in the AHL.....you could see from his brief stint in VanCity last season that he had top-end wheels. And in today's game, 'speed still kills'. Nice to see Cassels coming on as well.....probably one of the most maligned Canuck prospects, but as a third-round draft pick all you're really looking for is continuous improvement as a pro....still a long-shot to play in the NHL, but rapidly becoming an 'all-situation' center in Utica.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Figured it was only a matter of time until Molino started to figure it out in the AHL.....you could see from his brief stint in VanCity last season that he had top-end wheels. And in today's game, 'speed still kills'. Nice to see Cassels coming on as well.....probably one of the most maligned Canuck prospects, but as a third-round draft pick all you're really looking for is continuous improvement as a pro...

Molino's speed has not figured into any of his very limited offense (2G/3A in 25GP). He speeds ahead looking for a long stretch pass that would have to come through a myriad of players. He hasn't figured out that can only work if the space between himself and the passer is open. When he does get a pass he can't handle it or falls down trying to corral the pass and maintain the speed. I can't recall a single breakaway which would be something you would expect a la Grabner. To put it bluntly he is weak on his skates, pushed over with a one hand shove let alone a hit. Has difficulty maintaining puck control when he has position. Opponents strip him at will. This kid has a long ways to go before we can say, "He gets it."

Cassels "..still a long-shot to play in the NHL, but rapidly becoming an 'all-situation' center in Utica."

That is a huge stretch. He has put together the 4 or 5 best efforts of his life in Utica the most recent games played. he is on ther PK because they have nobody else. I mean that literally! He has had some good shifts, but so has every other guy Cull has rolled out there. He has also made some major blunders and is weak attempting to clear the puck out on many occasions. He is not a PP member at all. His line, the C.C.M. line, is still a 4th line on any Comets team, but likely aside from himself, since the Comets never have centers, his mates would be extras, if not in the ECHL. Valk is a good comparison. He was just like them his first season and was dispatched to the ZOO where he could get a regular shift every game. The second season he filled in well when called up and became the second leading scorer on a weak offensive team in his 3rd season. He is AHL All-Star material this season with Springfield, but Benning in his infinite wisdom decided the Comets didn't need him while knowing he had not acquired centers for the team for the 3rd straight season. This is Cassel's third season and he is no where near the player Valk was last season.

If that makes him maligned, so be it. I'm telling it as it has played out.

We don't even know if these 2 new guys are going to show up every night. Molino also disappears for shifts on end.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Got around to watching the replay and would say the following

Good

Molino - two goals were basically his work. On the first he raced to a puck behind the Crunch net at the end of the penalty and made a neat pass to Chaput who alone in front of the net. On the second he broke out 2 on 1 with Cassels and got the pass across and buried his shot up high. Had numerous opportunities and had 5 or 6 shots on net. Was the fastest player on the ice again and used his speed to break up plays, lead rushes and kill penalties. If he gets a step he's gone and just missed or messed a number of breakaway opportunities. Getting the puck out of his zone and decent in his end. Seemed to get kneed late and was down for bit but did play after that

Cassels - nice two way game. Getting used in a lot in critical situations. Logging heavy moments

MacEwen - used his size and speed to put on good pressure in the offensive zone. Getting his chances but not completing much but you do think it will start to go in for him
Playing more hard nosed and got into a fight in this one.

Zack MacEwen vs Erik Cernak Dec 23, 2017

Demko - not much in the first two periods but was outstanding in the third to preserve the win.

Weircoich - team rarely in trouble and mostly on offense with him on the ice. Like to see him get some sort shot with the Canucks.

Holm - very effective in making the first pass out of the zone and better in his end. Playing with more smoothness and confidence

Chaput - thought he was very good both ways and is showing needed leadership.

Bad

Cederholm - team had the most problems in their end with him out. Too slow in reacting to situations and can't do much else than bang the puck off the boards.

Other Points

Carcone got felled by an nasty stick to the face by Gallant. Missed time but did return mid way thru the third.

New guy Arseneau played ok and made some good defensive plays in front of his net. Best of the PTOs.

Moynihan didn't do much of anything and is not really taking advantage of the shot he is getting at this level.

Cameranesci and Brassart are also providing very little and like Moynihan they get played little. Team mostly going with three lines.

Bluzus is really cementing his position on the team.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Got around to watching the replay and would say the following

Good

Molino - two goals were basically his work. On the first he raced to a puck behind the Crunch net at the end of the penalty and made a neat pass to Chaput who alone in front of the net. On the second he broke out 2 on 1 with Cassels and got the pass across and buried his shot up high. Had numerous opportunities and had 5 or 6 shots on net. Was the fastest player on the ice again and used his speed to break up plays, lead rushes and kill penalties. If he gets a step he's gone and just missed or messed a number of breakaway opportunities. Getting the puck out of his zone and decent in his end. Seemed to get kneed late and was down for bit but did play after that

Cassels - nice two way game. Getting used in a lot in critical situations. Logging heavy moments

MacEwen - used his size and speed to put on good pressure in the offensive zone. Getting his chances but not completing much but you do think it will start to go in for him
Playing more hard nosed and got into a fight in this one.

Zack MacEwen vs Erik Cernak Dec 23, 2017

Demko - not much in the first two periods but was outstanding in the third to preserve the win.

Weircoich - team rarely in trouble and mostly on offense with him on the ice. Like to see him get some sort shot with the Canucks.

Holm - very effective in making the first pass out of the zone and better in his end. Playing with more smoothness and confidence

Chaput - thought he was very good both ways and is showing needed leadership.

Bad

Cederholm - team had the most problems in their end with him out. Too slow in reacting to situations and can't do much else than bang the puck off the boards.

Other Points

Carcone got felled by an nasty stick to the face by Gallant. Missed time but did return mid way thru the third.

New guy Arseneau played ok and made some good defensive plays in front of his net. Best of the PTOs.

Moynihan didn't do much of anything and is not really taking advantage of the shot he is getting at this level.

Cameranesci and Brassart are also providing very little and like Moynihan they get played little. Team mostly going with three lines.

Bluzus is really cementing his position on the team.

Just nitpicking, but it's Blujus and Cameranesi.

Yes, Molino is having his moments and it's nice to see, but there is lots more that has to become a daily thing for him to be what he needs to be in order to be a reliable AHL forward. Too much missing from shift to shift.

Cassels is getting all this 2-way ice time because, well, look at the roster! He is one of the few players on it that has any experience and a knowledge of how to play 200 feet. '15-16 was a similar situation where tons of injuries and call-ups put him on the ice for 67 games and he used that valuable time to put up 7 points. Last year he played on a team with one viable center, logged 66 games and put up a whopping 11 points with only 2 of them being assists. So much for a play maker. Now in another season with only 1 center and at times none, he is being handed a steady load of ice time and in the last few games we have seen a much better Cole Cassels. He is rounding into what may be a good 3rd line AHL workhorse center. Time will have the answer. He has disappeared before after a few good starts. This time may be "the 3rd time is the charm" for him. Can only hold out hope that it is so.

I have seen Arseneau as a plus as well. The other PTOs are giving you what most PTOs normally do. They give you their best and it usually is far short of what you need. They aren't toiling in the ECHL for nothing. If they had the AHL skill set, they would be there. Once in a while you get one who can play, but usually they have AHL work behind them and a new environment recharges their batteries. Shields was a great example the past 2 seasons. Darcy has been this year's rebirth and Blujus is looking like the next one.

Have nothing further to add to the other capsules. Always nice to work with you.

Last edited:

IGUG41

May 5, 2017
Blujus was on his way to be Tampa Bay 1st righty call up. He is more NHL ready than given credit on here. Groulx wasn't to keen on Blujus having surgery when Groulx needed him, punished him for that decision. He isn't an ECHL player, and Utica is fortunate to have him. Just sayin'

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Blujus was on his way to be Tampa Bay 1st righty call up. He is more NHL ready than given credit on here. Groulx wasn't to keen on Blujus having surgery when Groulx needed him, punished him for that decision. He isn't an ECHL player, and Utica is fortunate to have him. Just sayin'

I have stated previously that Cull had a past with him and that was the likely reason the Comets went after him. It took 2 games to see that he was the new #6 at least. Cederholm and Watson get a bus ticket out of town when/if the Comets get Chatfield back from injury. Though it makes sense to keep one of them as a just in case. As I have been saying for weeks now, Cull needs to build and maintain an in house depth supply instead of emergency grasping at straws every time another guy goes down.

The fact that Blujus is not under contract to anyone should once again be a message to Johnson that he needs to get his *** in gear. If Cull likes him and feels secure with him in the lineup it's time to make a commitment. As a PTO, he is available to any franchise that is willing to extend him a contract. So Tampa/Syracuse can do such at any moment if Groulx has calmed down and wants him back. Don't suppose Benning nor Johnson feels any sense of urgency. That's how the Comets acquired Robak last year. Stole him from Stockton while he was a PTO. The guy is NOT Utica's until they want to give him up. He is essentially a free agent.

Will be interesting to watch and wait to see how this plays out.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
2 more new Comets have signed PTOs. A little more experienced but they both qualify as vets. Maybe that's telling us something about the rest of the Comets who are also vets.

Adam Comrie - 6'4", 220 lbs , LH D-man. Former 2008 3rd round selection of the Florida Panthers.
Signed a 3-yr ELC.
2010- 2011 -Played one yr with their AHL team, Rochester at the time
2011-13 - with 2 different ECHL teams before being released.
13-14- AHL Worcester Sharks
14-16 - split both seasons between ECHL Reading and AHL Lehigh Valley

16-17 - AHL Syracuse Crunch-----A_H_H_H tghe connection. Another D-man that played under Cull like Blujus who has become a regular D-man for the Comets recently. This might be an indication of Chatfield's injury status or just some solid backup and Cederholm and Watson will be sent back to their ECHL teams.

He has logged exactly 261 games making him a VE (WRONG!!! SEE EDIT BELOW.)
He compiled a .36 PPG avg in his AHL career.

EDIT:
My error. The 10 games this season do not count against the vet rule. Thus, he has played 251 games and is therefore not a VE. He can gointo the lineup regardless of how many vets the Comets have in the lineup on game day.

David Dziurzynski - 28, 6'3", 225 lbs LW, undrafted but spent 6 yrs from 2010- 2016 in the Ottawa system with 2 short stints in Ottawa and the rest in the AHL with Binghamton.

377 total GP makes him a vet.

He spent last season in the DEL (Germany).

He opened this season with the ECHL Florida Everblades and has already served as a PTO for 10 games with Lehigh Valley. He also compiled a .36 PPG avg in the AHL.

Maybe we see one or both as early as tonight.
Dziurzynski has to be an upgrade on Moynihan who was the 12th man on Saturday with no reserve forwards. Moynihan goes back to being the lone reserve.
I have to believe that Comrie is an upgrade over Cederholm as well. That would leave Watson and Cederholm as the extras on D.

All the information about players available is based on the roster as of last Saturday night. No updates have been published to say anyone is coming off the injured list. I don't have any further info, but I will discover the facts for myself tonight when the Comets warm up unless someone posts an update before then.

Any of you Utica followers got any injury updates or further PTO signings?

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
2 more new Comets have signed PTOs. A little more experienced but they both qualify as vets. Maybe that's telling us something about the rest of the Comets who are also vets.

Adam Comrie - 6'4", 220 lbs , LH D-man. Former 2008 3rd round selection of the Florida Panthers.
Signed a 3-yr ELC.
2010- 2011 -Played one yr with their AHL team, Rochester at the time
2011-13 - with 2 different ECHL teams before being released.
13-14- AHL Worcester Sharks
14-16 - split both seasons between ECHL Reading and AHL Lehigh Valley

16-17 - AHL Syracuse Crunch-----A_H_H_H tghe connection. Another D-man that played under Cull like Blujus who has become a regular D-man for the Comets recently. This might be an indication of Chatfield's injury status or just some solid backup and Cederholm and Watson will be sent back to their ECHL teams.

He has logged exactly 261 games making him a VE so 5 more vets can play if he's in the lineup. He compiled a .36 PPG avg in his AHL career

David Dziurzynski - 28, 6'3", 225 lbs LW, undrafted but spent 6 yrs from 2010- 2016 in the Ottawa system with 2 short stints in Ottawa and the rest in the AHL with Binghamton.

377 total GP makes him a vet.

He spent last season in the DEL (Germany).

He opened this season with the ECHL Florida Everblades and has already served as a PTO for 10 games with Lehigh Valley. He also compiled a .36 PPG avg in the AHL.

Maybe we see one or both as early as tonight.
Dziurzynski has to be an upgrade on Moynihan who was the 12th man on Saturday with no reserve forwards. Moynihan goes back to being the lone reserve.
I have to believe that Comrie is an upgrade over Cederholm as well. That would leave Watson and Cederholm as the extras on D.

All the information about players available is based on the roster as of last Saturday night. No updates have been published to say anyone is coming off the injured list. I don't have any further info, but I will discover the facts for myself tonight when the Comets warm up unless someone posts an update before then.

Any of you Utica followers got any injury updates or further PTO signings?
I am also concerned that adding another defenseman on a PTO could mean that the injury Chatfield suffered last weekend will keep him out of the lineup for a while.

It was reported on Twitter last week that Archibald was back practicing with the team so hopefully the Comets will get one regular back soon.

Now if the Comets and Canucks could only go a couple weeks without any new injuries. Tanev looks to be back tomorrow and Horvat should have just a couple more weeks before he is back.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets currently have 8 vets on the roster. Currently 4 of them are injured with Archi due back any day. So, 4 are available to play and Archi would make 5.

Chaput
Bancks
Wiercioch
Dziurzynski

Archibald
That is the max that can go into the lineup.

Megna
Hamilton
Sifers
are still out.

With Tanev due back any day the Canucks will have 8 d-men and only 12 forwards since Burmistrov retired. Horvat isn't due back for a couple more weeks. Could be another Comet headed back to Vancouver. Would guess Chaput unless the Canucks plan to use Biega as the extra swing man like the last game.

Horavat would give them 13 forwards and with 8 D they would be at the NHL max of 21 players. Sutter and Baertschi would mean cut down time. I doubt that happens. They drop like flies up there lately so the idea that they would have too many healthy players escapes me.

It does cause me wonder as to who they would decide to send down. Goldobin is waiver free. Boucher has to come back within his 30 day limit or enter the waiver lottery again. I believe Jake is all they would still be able to demote without exposure to waivers. I'd guess Boucher has to come back and Goldobin would be next. Or would they give Jake another run in the AHL? Healthy bodies (unlikely) would make things interesting to say the least.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I am also concerned that adding another defenseman on a PTO could mean that the injury Chatfield suffered last weekend will keep him out of the lineup for a while.

It was reported on Twitter last week that Archibald was back practicing with the team so hopefully the Comets will get one regular back soon.

Now if the Comets and Canucks could only go a couple weeks without any new injuries. Tanev looks to be back tomorrow and Horvat should have just a couple more weeks before he is back.

Isn't Sutter supposed to be close as well?

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
watched Dzuirzynski play in Junior A for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs for most of the season, after that never saw him play, was a big boy who wasn't afraid to mix it up and put up some points, good to see him still kicking around.

74 points in 57gp with the Bulldogs in 09-10, so long ago

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Shouldn't the GM be at almost every game?

Shouldn't he live in the same city?
Shouldn't he be seen in the press and on TV?
Shouldn't he do interviews?
Shouldn't he be informing the public about the acquisitions the team makes?
Shouldn't he be doing his job?
How come he hasn't acquired an AHL competent #2 center since before training camp broke?
How come he allowed his team to be overloaded with Veterans right out of camp?
Shouldn't his face be known by the 3,500 season ticket holders who attend each and every game?
I bet you he could greet every ticket holder at the door and unless he introduced himself they would have no idea who he was. Think that could happen with Benning in Vancouver? That couldn't happen with Benning or Linden in Utica!!!!!!! We all know them and recognize them immediately whenever they are in house. No one has to tell the crowd they are there.

Hell, Darryl Sutter was sitting in the crowd with a table top chart setup before the Calder Cup Final games preparing to scout his own farm guys and was besought by autograph hungry fans before both games. Nobody had to tell anybody who he was. Johnson could take the seat next to most any fan and they would have no idea who he was.

His position is a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad