The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

somewhere BG's blood is boiling...

That elite skating and first pass didn't help him on 12/1 when he was on the ice for 6 goals against with 3 different D-partners. Vancouver fans were very unkind to Pouliot over his 5 GA last night.

He is a AHL middling D-man, who has needed cover the previous 2 seasons and would be pretty good here paired once again with a strong vet. He is being asked to be the cover guy for rookies now and he's not really ready for that task.

First off, who is Johnson and where does he hide? I haven't talked to a soul who knows who he is. I've seen his picture, but don't recall ever having seen that face around the Aud. Christ we notice Linden and Jimbo any time they are in the building, seldom as that might be. However, no one has ever said, "Hey, look! There's GM Johnson."

As to Johnson's rosy accolades, I think elite skating is way over the top. Elite skating D-men don't last in the AHL very long particularly with a great first pass. You would also automatically expect an elite skater t0 be a puck rushing offensive D-man. Ashton is not. It explains to me why we have some of the bottom 6 guys we do.

No wonder the talent here is weak. This guy has no idea what an elite skater is. Even if he was, what about the rest of his defensive game. How does he handle a hard forecheck? Then what happens to his 1st pass? What happens when he tries to skate the puck out? What are his puck handling skills? The guy who had those puck skills plays for the Ontario Reign, even though he was weak defensively.

If Johnson, is the rising star in the Vancouver management team it might be because Benning wants less astute talent judges around so he doesn't have to argue with them. That was a major issue between Jim and Henning and Henning is gone.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sautner has improved this year, but he did have that bad concussion last season which made him very shy in games........

I'm happy for him......

Any more callups and the comets will be pulling people out of the stands....

The old Comets sit in the shoe end near the Comets ice entrance. They are old, but they can still skate. LOL I know a lot of other guys who were very good players at all levels between Jrs, college, and pros that are around the building in various locations. Hell, put Esche between the pipes. Again LOL LOL.

All too old to try that kind of stuff now. Ages range from @ 40 to 80. Have to know there are guys much younger, but we all know it wouldn't be a good move.

Laughing very hard at the thought and then cringing at the same time.

As for Ashton like every other Comet to get the call. Congratulations and good luck. That's why you are here. Every last fan in the building wants to see every Comet become a Canuck. Make the best of your opportunity. Maybe you can pull a Biega. He played so well that he forced his way onto their roster and is now working on his 3rd NHL season.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
At least he's a center.... But at 5-9 I'm not expecting big things from him.... Should slot in ahead of Cassels.....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I mostly just follow the good ones ;)

Well, now you can watch him and decide for yourself. That's of course if he actually plays. Over the past 5 years the Comets D-men who have been called up have rarely played a minute. More than likely, he is an insurance policy eating popcorn in the press box.

The 26 yr-0ld Benning stashed here for just such an emergency, Philip Holm, can't make it. He has a concussion. Neither would have to worry about waivers so Ashton could be yours until Tanev is back. You couldn't have Wiercioch because he has already been there for 29 of his 30 days before he has to clear waivers again. He has been a perfect example of what I previously stated about Comets D-men. He was there for 29 days and never played once.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets squeak out a 2-1 win over the last place devils. pretty unimpressive effort by both teams..... Holm returned with a nice goal on a 5-3 pp. Woods scored the winner in the 3rd. both goalies were solid. Amerks tonight, will be a tough task for the undermanned comets.....

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Another blown game. Game was very loosely played with numerous chances at both ends.

Carcone - Cassels - Molino line had a good game. Carcone especially was excellent and scored a beautiful goal. Cassels finally scored and played an all round good game including being effective on the PK. Molino has improved and used speed to forcheck well and made a good pass on the Cassels goal. Good effort a little marred by line getting a late penalty leading to a goal and then not adequately covering the front of the net on the tying goal.

Both Chatfield and Brisebois are improving. Chatfield is playing with a lot energy and is reading the play well Stepping in to create offensive chances and jumping in to break up plays. Brisebois is playing with a lot more composure. You can project Brisebois moving to a higher level. Skating is fine and he shows good range in his play. If he can gain some strength and weight and a step or two he could be an NHL player. Big issue is being able to separate people from the puck in his own. Only 20 and maybe has the best long term potential of any of the younger players presently in Utica.

One good thing about the injury situation is that these young guys are getting experience.

Holm continues to have trouble taking people off the rush. Sometimes just turns the wrong way. Maybe can do that back in Sweden but not here. Was totally beaten on the rush leading to the OT goal.

Weircoich play has slipped a bit. Other new defensemen OK. Watson stay at home type and Blujus bit more aggressive.

MacEwen remains inconsistent. Makes the occasional good play but in the run of play not very effective. Looks too off balance at times and skating needs to improve.

New guy Cameranesi played little. Showed some speed but not much in the play.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Another blown game. Game was very loosely played with numerous chances at both ends.

Carcone - Cassels - Molino line had a good game. Carcone especially was excellent and scored a beautiful goal. Cassels finally scored and played an all round good game including being effective on the PK. Molino has improved and used speed to forcheck well and made a good pass on the Cassels goal. Good effort a little marred by line getting a late penalty leading to a goal and then not adequately covering the front of the net on the tying goal.

Both Chatfield and Brisebois are improving. Chatfield is playing with a lot energy and is reading the play well Stepping in to create offensive chances and jumping in to break up plays. Brisebois is playing with a lot more composure. You can project Brisebois moving to a higher level. Skating is fine and he shows good range in his play. If he can gain some strength and weight and a step or two he could be an NHL player. Big issue is being able to separate people from the puck in his own. Only 20 and maybe has the best long term potential of any of the younger players presently in Utica.

One good thing about the injury situation is that these young guys are getting experience.

Holm continues to have trouble taking people off the rush. Sometimes just turns the wrong way. Maybe can do that back in Sweden but not here. Was totally beaten on the rush leading to the OT goal.

Weircoich play has slipped a bit. Other new defensemen OK. Watson stay at home type and Blujus bit more aggressive.

MacEwen remains inconsistent. Makes the occasional good play but in the run of play not very effective. Looks too off balance at times and skating needs to improve.

New guy Cameranesi played little. Showed some speed but not much in the play.

"Weircoich play has slipped a bit."

He's been on the ice for 6 of the last 7 Comets goals in the past 3 games. The goals came with a mixed cast of characters up front, but his common denominator was Chatfield along for the ride on every one of them.

ES forwards were:
Bancks/Cassels/Carcone
Bancks/Brassart/MacEwen
Megna/Darcy/Boucher
Megna/Darcy/Boucher

PK GA:
Bancks/Boucher
Bancks/Megna

If we go back a little further you'll find the names Molino, Cassels, Carcone, D'Aoust joining Darcy, Boucher, Megna, Bancks, and LaBate in various combinations.

In short it's not a normally strong package no matter who is on the ice. It's difficult to point a finger at any certain individual or group. They are all in on this. (Except Stewart who did it all by himself) The Comets' defensive game is a combination of defense by the seat of your pants, great goaltending, mistakes by the opponent , sheer luck, and the grace of God. You would have to bring in hockey's most astute experts to specifically identify the defensive and offensive scheme the Comets' coaching staff has them playing. I can see some vague familiar concepts through the murky haze, but they all blend together and just become helter skelter/hodge podge lodge.The wierdest part of this is that many of these guys were strong defensive players under Green and Baumgatrner. You wouldn't know it to watch them now. Have to wonder if there isn't another common thread in this.

This team does not have a strong, shut the door, lights out defensive line.Which means what the other lines have to offer is sharply on the decline.This fact makes it even more difficult to understand why they would go into a shutdown style in the last 10 minutes of a game when they have all kinds of trouble in their own end in the first place. Losing 3 of the last 4 weekend games in OT after surrendering leads in the last few minutes, twice 2-goal leads, makes me scratch my head at that.

They have played 3 games against 2 of the better teams in the league and had them both on the ropes and lost all 3 games. How did they get them on the ropes? By playing the most energetic and aggressive style they could to get the puck out of their own zone any way they could and then keep it in the other end of the ice. When they dump it in and then regroup at the attacking blue line in a 5-man neutral zone cluster, setting up to defend, it's a well scripted recipe for disaster. You just watch and wait until the roof caves in.

Then the deployment of trios sent out to begin the OT is mind boggling. I would think you would consider speed, shot, puck skills, and offensive D-men with a hint of the ability to play a little man to man coverage.

I won't even drive myself crazy with the Comets OT deployments. Losing within seconds, 26 and 17 in the last 2, rather than even minutes says it all about that.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Chaput might be on his way back down, basically changing places with Boucher......so much promise to start the year....now as things turn ugly up top, the spillover is washing Utica away as well.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I think Chaput might be on his way back down, basically changing places with Boucher......so much promise to start the year....now as things turn ugly up top, the spillover is washing Utica away as well.

Megna has 1 day left of his 30 before he has to go through waivers again.
Boucher is on a fresh start.
Chaput has already eaten up 12 of his 30.

Like I said a post earlier, JB needs to use IR and start claiming waivers. When guys come back put the claimed guys back on waivers and if they pass send them down. Just have to keep playing around within the cap rules.

If you get a shocker and he's real good send Jake down. He is not reaching the potential of scoring he was expected to. Send him down and make him start driving the net and learning to score dirty like power forwards have always done. Maybe he isn't just a 4th liner if you give him a chance to become something different. He is still young enough to benefit from more development that he won't get like things currently are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Boucher up to the Cancucks.

Sautner returned from the Canucks.

Stewart reassigned to the Zoo.

Unless the Polar Express brings another PTO or 2 into town tomorrow, the Comets will have exactly 12 forwards to ice for the game on Wednesday vs. the Toronto Marlies, the #2 team in the AHL .

With Boucher and Chaput in Vancouver and Archibald, Hamilton, and Laplante still injured the Comets will line up with (based ontheir last lineup):

LaBate/Woods/D'Aoust
Megna/Darcy
Molino/Cassels/Carcone
Bancks/Cameranesi/MacEwen
Brassart
The 2 in Italics are PTOs with Brassart having played 2 games and Cameranesi 1. Both are centers and have centered the same line. Some rearranging will get done.

With Sautner returned the D will be better.

Wiercioch/Chatfield
Sautner/Brisebois
Holm/ one of Cederholm, Blujus, or Watson. based on Cull having some history with Blujus, I chose him.

This D corps still needs one more good D-man added to this unit. They still wouldn't be among the AHL's best defensive 6, but they would be stable.

The forwards are very weak from a scoring perspective and they are equally as weak from a defensive standpoint. They need to be strong one way or the other in order to remain viable in the North Division. Toronto (42) and Rochester (38) are running away and will soon hide if nobody else catches some spark. The Syracuse Crunch (31)on the strength of a current 10 game win streak are racing to make this a 3 team race. Then it's the bottom feeders led by Utica with 27 and Laval (26) and Belleville (25) right on their heels.
Utica gets Toronto 2 in a row at in Utica on Wednesday and Friday.

Belleville gets Rochester Syracuse and Toronto before Christmas. So, they've got a heavy load before the Holidays as well.

Laval gets Syracuse and then Rochester for 2 back to back in Laval.

The top 3 can put the rest of the division way back in their rear view mirrors if they take care of business before Christmas. Any of the 3 chasing who even hope to stay on the road have their fate in their own hands. If the big 3 win out the rest are in for a very tough road ahead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad