The Utah Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Apologies if this is too soon (and I'm still holding out hope), but all the Utah stuff was getting mixed in with the Arizona stuff.

But, this seems like a done deal. So what do we name this thing?

One assumption is that they will be Utah, not Salt Lake City, to represent the whole state. It also matches the Utah Jazz name, the other team owned by Ryan Smith.

Some most common names seen online:

Utah Yeti
Utah Swarm (though, seems unlikely as there is already a minor baseball team named the Bees)
Utah Eagles (former IHL team was named SLC Eagles, also already used in NFL)
Utah Vipers (or something else Snake related)
Utah Stags (or something else Moose related)
Utah Grizzlies (current ECHL team, can they get the rights?, also already used in NBA)
Utah Saints (also already used in NFL)

Add your favourites to the list.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think my preference right now is Utah Yeti. Nice, quick two syllables each. Be the only team in the league whose primary jersey is powder blue. I just don't love many of the Yeti concept logos I've seen floating around.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
WORST THREAD EVER. :nod:

But I'll play along.

Utah Cutthroats Named after the official state fish - the Bonneville Cutthroat Trout.

Mascot

1712933155222.png

Team Store

1712933250745.png

Games 3 stars can throw one over the glass to fans. :naughty:

1712933352076.png

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
No offense because I love you all, but I'm muting this thread on my end both because it's too soon and also because I'm perma-muting anything Utah related once everything shakes out... :laugh:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I feel like Cutthroats is an issue. Even though it's not fish related, it's memories of that Sabres goalie and other past occurences.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Utah Yotes does roll off the tongue nicely

I dunno how I feel about keeping the name. Some appeal in a fresh start. This may be moot however if Meruelo retains the name.

Also seeing a lot of discussion online for Gulls (Utah state bird) and some sort of dinosaur-related related.

Reactions: Prarievarg

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
If, it was my world, I would roll with the Utah Yotes making it unique but connecting the two communities and I would most definitely keep the greatest sports logo in the history of sports logos.

On the other suggestions...

Utah Yeti -
***** The fact no one has taken Sasquatch or Yeti as a major league name is a crime.
Utah Swarm (though, seems unlikely as there is already a minor baseball team named the Bees)
*** Meh
Utah Eagles (former IHL team was named SLC Eagles, also already used in NFL)
* No duplicate name. Be original
Utah Vipers (or something else Snake related)
** Only snakes I like are ones dispatched by my shovel
Utah Stags (or something else Moose related)
* Moose are lumbering, clumsy, animals
Utah Grizzlies (current ECHL team, can they get the rights?, also already used in NBA)
** Too close to a Bruin
Utah Saints (also already used in NFL)
* Just no

Sure. Most stuff online is just Mormon puns hah.
Always curious what cultures and religions it is culturally acceptable to mock.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Decent amount of online chatter too for Pioneers, but I feel those types of names aren't happening anymore (Redskins, Indians, etc.).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Can mods set up a separate team page even if it is temporary. I don't want to post something positive and rub in the face of Yote fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad