OT: The Travel Thread

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Anyone planning any trips within their own country at the moment? Those that are able to restriction wise?

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm staying within Quebec until a vaccine has been widely administered. After that, I'm probably just going to limit my travels to within Canada.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anyone planning any trips within their own country at the moment? Those that are able to restriction wise?

Yup,can't wait! Nothing better than a road trip with the sun shinning and music blasting with the top down and the wind flapping the toupee around.:thumbu::)

Reactions: Marshy71

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm staying within Quebec until a vaccine has been widely administered. After that, I'm probably just going to limit my travels to within Canada.

Huge province and a huge country! tons of fantastic options,nice. Would love to get to Banff area one day.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Huge province and a huge country! tons of fantastic options,nice. Would love to get to Banff area one day.
Every Canadian owes it to himself to drive the Trans-Canada one day. The change of scenery is drastic as you come out of the dark woods of Northern Ontario, which is half the time the whole trip takes, and the landscape opens up for the second stage of the trip, the Prairies. Beautiful in it's never ending flatness, the drive to Calgary is a breeze at 130km. per hour. Look out for tornadoes in Saskatchewan. always strong winds too. Then half an hour out of Calgary, you can see the foothills and the peaks in the distance. Next thing you know, you're surrounded by snow capped mountains you never though were that high until you stand next to them. Another twelve hours and you're in Vancouver.

Great trip!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Every Canadian owes it to himself to drive the Trans-Canada one day. The change of scenery is drastic as you come out of the dark woods of Northern Ontario, which is half the time the whole trip takes, and the landscape opens up for the second stage of the trip, the Prairies. Beautiful in it's never ending flatness, the drive to Calgary is a breeze at 130km. per hour. Look out for tornadoes in Saskatchewan. always strong winds too. Then half an hour out of Calgary, you can see the foothills and the peaks in the distance. Next thing you know, you're surrounded by snow capped mountains you never though were that high until you stand next to them. Another twelve hours and you're in Vancouver.

Great trip!
You forget the other half of the trans tho... equally as beautiful. I did it coming back from the translabrador. Ill do the other way soon

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
You forget the other half of the trans tho... equally as beautiful. I did it coming back from the translabrador. Ill do the other way soon
I got as far as Halifax, but I was just a kid then. Never drove it myself. Hiked through the Gaspésie as a teen also. Equally breathtaking, well almost. :sarcasm:

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I am planing to spend 2 weeks in the Rockies in September. Already got plane tickets. We have been to Banff and Jasper, there are too many people there. Will hike somewhere else.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I am planing to spend 2 weeks in the Rockies in September. Already got plane tickets. We have been to Banff and Jasper, there are too many people there. Will hike somewhere else.
Jasper was about 1/100 less crowded when I’ve been there, not sure how Banff would be now with limited international travel. There’s lots of other great areas around there though, Emerald Lake in Yoho is beautiful and has good tracks. We used to usually head south for vacations into the Kootenays around Radium/Fernie/Nelson or Kananaskis/Canmore if it was just day trips.

Need to check out the Grizzly House in Banff if you’ve never been, great dining experience especially if you’re adventurous.

Edit: Forgot Waterton on the south end of AB, very nice but we used to do that and then cross over into Montana for Glacier Park and the Going to the Sun Road and then head down to Yellowstone. Likely nobody looking to rush into the US these days but great hikes and you’ll see lots of wildlife in Waterton just watch out for the Elk as it’s mating season in the fall and they can be very dangerous

Last edited:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Great trip!

Big country, heck of a drive but sounds fantastic! maybe one day if it's in the cards. I can cross my nation in 3 hours if traffic permits. A days drive you can pass through quite a few nations,it's pretty neat to see the changes in culture and architecture and some landscapes are pretty dramatic as well.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#QuebecCity

I went to Quebec City last weekend. The parking wasn't hard to find. So no struggles. I parked next to their VIA Rail Canada Station. Then I walked.

It took me five hours to visit the important places (the maximum as I could). The Cap-Blanc Stairs was fun. The Cathedrals. The Citadelle. The City Hall. The Courthouse. The Dufferin Terrace. The HD hospital. The Port. The Saint-Louis Forts and Castle National Historic Site (Frontenac). The PC street. The Plains of Abraham. The Ramparts and Gates.

There were interactive interpretive activities with the guides. The old houses are pretty intact. I haven't seen that much of buses.

The security during the pandemic is minimal from the authorities , it was like a open house party inside.

Their restaurants sucks. I took an icecream and I drunk my own water and cookies.

No noises. Pretty peaceful. The structure of Quebec stayed a little bit the same as usual and that makes her beauty.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
#QuebecCity

I went to Quebec City last weekend. The parking wasn't hard to find. So no struggles. I parked next to their VIA Rail Canada Station. Then I walked.

It took me five hours to visit the important places (the maximum as I could). The Cap-Blanc Stairs was fun. The Cathedrals. The Citadelle. The City Hall. The Courthouse. The Dufferin Terrace. The HD hospital. The Port. The Saint-Louis Forts and Castle National Historic Site (Frontenac). The PC street. The Plains of Abraham. The Ramparts and Gates.

There were interactive interpretive activities with the guides. The old houses are pretty intact. I haven't seen that much of buses.

The security during the pandemic is minimal from the authorities , it was like a open house party inside.

Their restaurants sucks. I took an icecream and I drunk my own water and cookies.

No noises. Pretty peaceful. The structure of Quebec stayed a little bit the same as usual and that makes her beauty.

Sweet! sounds nice not having the hustle and bustle with all the tourists. Too quiet? haven't been there in decades and it is the prettiest city in North America.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#MyQuebecCityPhotos

upload_2020-7-24_10-28-40.png

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Anyone ever go to Pavlopetri? thought it might be cool to swim over some ruins. Should have checked it out last time at Momenvasio but didn't bring any gear.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A neighbor was just raving about the beaches at Sandbanks and told me it’s only 4 hours by car from Montreal and all you need is to book an Airbnb.

What is the most popular beach in Sandbanks?

Outlet Beach

Sandbanks Provincial Park

Outlet Beach is the most widely known. With its expansive, two-kilometre-long shoreline, soft, white sand and rolling waves, thousands flock here each summer. 750,000 of them, in fact.

Has anyone been? Any tips? What’s an ideal number of days to spend there?

I’ve been craving for a beach for the longest time. Since I can’t take a week off to go to Riviera Maya, I was wondering if a few days at Sandbanks would do the trick.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Going to Jamaica for the first in February.

Any do's and don't's? Any special places to see? People have told me to stay clear of Kingston. A lot of violence and poverty, they say.
I was there for a 4-hour stopover about 6 years ago, while on a cruise. I was with 3 other people and couldn’t convince them to take a cab to try jerk chicken from a highly rated spot online — they all thought it was too unsafe, so we didn’t go.

A report from last year was not flattering: Jamaica declares state of emergency over surging crime, including tourist hot spot Montego Bay

If I went there for a prolonged stay, I would not leave the resort. Kingston has often been referred to as the murder capital of the world.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
A neighbor was just raving about the beaches at Sandbanks and told me it’s only 4 hours by car from Montreal and all you need is to book an Airbnb.

What is the most popular beach in Sandbanks?

Outlet Beach

Sandbanks Provincial Park

Outlet Beach is the most widely known. With its expansive, two-kilometre-long shoreline, soft, white sand and rolling waves, thousands flock here each summer. 750,000 of them, in fact.

Has anyone been? Any tips? What’s an ideal number of days to spend there?

I’ve been craving for a beach for the longest time. Since I can’t take a week off to go to Riviera Maya, I was wondering if a few days at Sandbanks would do the trick.
You would love it there. It's the dunes from the Carribean, with non-salty water. :)

• Love
Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I was there for a 4-hour stopover about 6 years ago, while on a cruise. I was with 3 other people and couldn’t convince them to take a cab to try jerk chicken from a highly rated spot online — they all thought it was too unsafe, so we didn’t go.

A report from last year was not flattering: Jamaica declares state of emergency over surging crime, including tourist hot spot Montego Bay

If I went there for a prolonged stay, I would not leave the resort. Kingston has often been referred to as the murder capital of the world.

Thanks. I'll keep all of that in mind.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad