GDT: The Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Caps would actually be interesting for McDonagh if they were serious. Burakovsky or Vrana would both be really nice as the main piece.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Caps would actually be interesting for McDonagh if they were serious. Burakovsky or Vrana would both be really nice as the main piece.

And the Caps are a team that knows very well how effective McDonagh is too. Price is probably too high for them.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Keeping zuuc makes no sense. We don't want to resign our #1 d man that is an elite skater and in general is in outstanding physical condition although has had some injuries in the past bc he will be past his prime once our new youth are set to take over, BUT we should keep and extend our 2nd line left wing undersized winger?

Furthermore, all this zuuc as captain stuff makes no sense bc if you're naming him captain you are signing him to an extension. Nyr isn't trading two captains in two years (mcd before 2018 season and zuuc before 2018 tdl).

I think the msg talking heads are helping the propaganda just like gorton did. They aren't all going to come out and say "we want miller, zuuc and mcd off this team," they are stating that these guys are still viewed as valuable pieces to the organization. It's the exact opposite of what the idiots in ott are doing...

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
Man the trade deadline show is praying for some trades this year. Duthie is already unsettled over it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Random question (I'll ask here since this is the thread of the day, mainly) -

How crowded does the Port Authority Bus Terminal parking get after 9am? I'm driving into the City in about 30 minutes. Hitting up the Knicks game tonight for business and I don't feel like dealing with trains back home. I park at PABT all the time for business, but I'm always doing the early bird parking before 6am . . .

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Today we see what the Sather/Gordon fan base letter was all about. The moves made so far do not follow its context. Nash, Grabner and Holden were not exactly fan favorites although they were mostly liked and respected. McD, Zucc and Miller are a different story and fit the bill and the message. I think one goes today. Although I also think we may make a move or two at the draft instead if JG does not get what he wants today.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Absolutely would. You go from looking at Marner/Nylander/Sergachev to accepting Vrana or Burakovsky for him. Just not good value for a #1 defenseman

If you were looking at Marner/Nylander/Sergachev then you have completely unrealistic expectations.

And i'm not saying 1 for 1, i'm saying as the main piece in a 3-4 piece package.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Zucc I would not mind being moved, yet if the return is about the same as it would be next deadline, not sure I want to see them take that rather than just waiting.

Miller, (& Spooner) I am a little concerned about their next contracts. I like both players as in middle six forwards who have a decent skill set, but I am not sure anyone is going to like their next deals. Yet at the very least those deals will be for players who are not pure UFAs who would cap cost even more per performance. The other RFAs at least have more than one RFA year left so their leverage is a little lower, as should the cap hit be.

McD is more concerning to me, he is going to have all the leverage in the world to craft his next contract. If he is not moved by the deadline his value is going to drop.

I have to hope some sort of framework has already been worked out with some team(s), say Florida is waiting to see where their picks in the lottery end up, and have already agreed to trade them for McD as long as they are not #1 or something. Yet even then, what if they do get #1 or whatever the threshold is?

I really think the draft may turn out to be the worst place to try to trade McD. Teams are going to be all prepared to draft players, especially those who have the best picks. There will be certain levels of prospects where there is a drop from one tier to the next, I think McD may only return pick(s) that are outside of the top tier. While it will likely not be just pick(s) as the return, it could also be prospects, but again maybe not prospects who are in that teams top tier.

I hope the Rangers crush these deals, but I fear the league is changing, more teams are valuing top tier picks and prospects higher than they used to. Late 1st, 2nd, 3rd, relatively unknown prospects, cap dump, player that team does not want to really extend this summer so far has been what's moved to the Rangers, which makes sense for rentals, but I for one am nervous that is all that will be available for players who have more term left as well.

I know that is pessimistic, Happy Trade Deadline Day!

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Absolutely would. You go from looking at Marner/Nylander/Sergachev to accepting Vrana or Burakovsky for him. Just not good value for a #1 defenseman

I don't see Vrana or Burakovsky as having elite potential.

Chytil aside, we've started our rebuild by acquiring higher floor players. Which isn't a bad thing or a knock. When your cupboard is as bad as ours was, you need to build some sort of pipeline, even if the top end elite talent isn't there.

Just this deadline, we've acquired guys like Rykov and Lindgren. Both I'd say are likely to make the NHL, but probably top out at the 2nd pairing at best (which again, is nothing to sneeze at).

We already have a plethora of depth scorers. Hayes, Miller, Kreider, Spooner (if he stays), Zuccarello (if he stays), Mika (borderline 1/2), Andersson coming up.etc.

These guys are all good/great players. We need a superstar or two to truly compete in this league. Hank is no longer at that level (and certainly won't be when we're ready to compete again). He is certainly still a great goalie. A superstar? No.

In 2013-14, we had Hank and McDonagh. McDonagh was playing like a top-10 d-man in the league that year.

We need high potential prospects for McDonagh.

EDIT: Forgot to mention defense. On defense, we have a ton of bottom-4 d-men prospects. ADA, Pionk, Rykov, Lindgren, still have guys like Day, Graves, Gilmour, even O'Gara.etc. We have plenty of depth.

Only potential top-pairing d-man we have is Skjei.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad