The Tomas Plekanec Thread

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Habs fan coming in peace. I'm glad it's finally working out with Plekanec for you guys. Offensively, he's not anywhere on the same level as most of the team, but he does thrive when matching up with the top lines, at least as far as Boston is concerned. Hope he has a strong game for you for game 7.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
It was an empty netter, but still a huge goal to close out Game 6. Also, had a huge shot block!
For a while in my 20's I thought EN goals were pretty lame. So much so that in a mens league game, with the chance to salt away a game, I dumped the puck into the corner instead of scoring. One of their players took the puck coast to coast and tied the game.
It's one thing to think you're too cool to score and EN'er. It's another thing to cost your team a victory.
Salt the bloody thing away. EN or not, that was a huge goal by Plek last night.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The horn that belongs to me, tooted by me:

Yes, I highly doubt we brought in a player of his quality to replace Moore's minutes,/

Agreed. Plekanec is 65th 5v5 amongst C's (without removing C listed wingers), tied with Bozak, within a point of Little/Backlund/Henrique, 2-3 of O'Rielly while playing shutdown minutes while relying on the Habs D to transition the puck. This isn't a Moore upgrade, it's a 3rd horse for the top 9.

Realistically the "best team on the ice" rolls hard on Matthews/Kadri/Plekanec 5v5,

Admittedly though I was in favour of trading Bozak to have a more traditional 4th line, but having 4 potent lines is pretty great​

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The series shifted when Babs moved Pleks up to play with Marner and Marleau.

Nothing to do with it. The series shifted when we decided we wanted to fight for it and win. Mentally for two games we weren't ready to win, in game 3 we played better but were still not there. 5 and 6 we started playing with intensity. Now it's a battle to the end.

Plekanec helped by throwing Bergeron off his game, solid move by Babcock.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Is it possible that he is a player that has lost all his talent except for an inexplicable ability to shut down the Bergeron line?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Explain 4pts in 6gp

He's not driving the offense but I mean the point is that he's a different player matched up against that line. Even this season in Montreal, his metrics against the Bergeron line were quite good.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's not driving the offense but I mean the point is that he's a different player matched up against that line. Even this season in Montreal, his metrics against the Bergeron line were quite good.

It's not a game... This is personal. I am fine by it haha, I think a large part of g7 has to do with Pleks getting under Bergerons skin and once that happened and the injury, we've bought in.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Has he always been this dirty? It's not blatant like Marchand, he's very sneaky about it, but he's constantly getting little elbows and butt ends in here and there, it's great. I always remember him being a relatively clean player in Montreal, never really stuck out as a guy to watch for dirty play.
Against Boston, YES. They are his mortal enemy imo.
There's a youtube clip of him losing a faceoff to Krejci, and then just butt ends him in the face. Of course, who doesn't want to butt end that guy...but geez, you could cave in an orbital bone with that move.

He knows those Boston players from a few wars over the years. He wants them to get mad and take penalties.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Just chiming in from Montreal and having a good knowledge of Pleks.
I'm happy he's shown up to a couple games for you in the playoffs and I'm sad that the leafs are on the ropes.

However, I don't think Plekanec was part of some sort of playoff master plan. In the last couple seasons, his offense dried up completely. In addition, he has never been a great playoff performer and has even criticized his playoff performance as playing like a girl.
'I played like a little girl,' Plekanec says

Granted, this was 10 years ago, but the reputation and performances have piled up over the years. He's had a couple outlying runs the playoffs but he's never really been a playoff hero.

While Toronto has been intrigued by his pickup, Montreal breathed a collective sigh of relief.

If the mindhead in Toronto is as clever as we all think it is, Pleks was brought in for defense only. All this offense is a bonus.
For the record, this post did not age well. Glad, if not shocked that he has been this good the last couple games.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
There's a youtube clip of him losing a faceoff to Krejci, and then just butt ends him in the face. Of course, who doesn't want to butt end that guy...but geez, you could cave in an orbital bone with that move.

He knows those Boston players from a few wars over the years. He wants them to get mad and take penalties.

Who can blame him the Bruins have been dirtiest team for years now.. Watching Chara completly line up Pacioretty was completly brutal. Only team in most recent memories that have this rat-esque feel to them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

That's Savage but I don't mind because game 5 officiating and elbow on Andersen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad