OT: The Thread About Nothing 203

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Same for me.

Can't stand them.

The only good thing about them is that when I drive a long distance, I usually sleep really good after I get to where I'm going. Even when I just drive 2-3 hours in a day, I sleep much better.

Yeah same. After a long drive no matter what.. I am just exhausted and conk out so quickly

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Driving to Disney from Ocean County on Sunday night. Any tips? Traveling with the wife, a 4 and a half year old, and an 8 month old. Yes I’m crazy.

I've done the NJ to Orlando drive maybe 30 times in my life, give or take, so it is survivable.

If you were leaving during the day, I'd have some route hacks for you. Since you're leaving at night, the only suggestion I have is that when you get just outside of Richmond, Virginia, get off 95 and take 295 around Richmond back to 95, rather than simply staying on 95 through Richmond. Your GPS will tell you to stay on 95, but dont. It's about 5 miles longer on 295, but it's like the Autobahn and there's no traffic on that road, wont be accidents, etc... definitely saves time and is more relaxing.

I do the same thing in Jacksonville. Get off 95 and take 295 towards the beaches, then get back on 95 rather than staying on 95 the entire way straight through JAX. This one may or may not save time, but it's an easier drive and you may miss some JAX traffic and/or accidents from the hoards that remain on 95.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I've done the NJ to Orlando drive maybe 30 times in my life, give or take, so it is survivable.

If you were leaving during the day, I'd have some route hacks for you. Since you're leaving at night, the only suggestion I have is that when you get just outside of Richmond, Virginia, get off 95 and take 295 around Richmond back to 95, rather than simply staying on 95 through Richmond. Your GPS will tell you to stay on 95, but dont. It's about 5 miles longer on 295, but it's like the Autobahn and there's no traffic on that road, wont be accidents, etc... definitely saves time and is more relaxing.

I do the same thing in Jacksonville. Get off 95 and take 295 towards the beaches, then get back on 95 rather than staying on 95 the entire way straight through JAX. This one may or may not save time, but it's an easier drive and you may miss some JAX traffic and/or accidents from the hoards that remain on 95.

Solid advice

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

I've done the trip a couple of times and this is solid advice.

Are you sure your 8 month old is going to sleep the whole night through? We had the same plan with my daughter at about that age and she was miss cranky pants sitting in the car seat near bed time when we took a drive to just the Poconos. It was UNBEARABLE!

Are you going to be OK? The drive is boring as sin. There's nothing to look at in the daytime, let alone at night. And to keep a four year old in a car for more than 2 hours during the day without a break is probably not going to happen.

The drive back is way worse.

For fun, count how many South of the Border signs you go past. It's gotta be at least 50.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I hate flying so if I can avoid it I do at all costs, I don't mind actually flying but it's the process that I hate. Getting there 2 hours or so beforehand, the security lines and horrendous checks, then possible weather delays, meh.

If it's under a 16 hour drive then I'll be driving over flying anyday unless I just don't have the time.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
This discussion is hilarious for me to read. Myself and the girlfriend bought her parents' old car off of them a few months ago, so I now own a car for the first time since I moved to NYC about 12 years ago.

In a few weeks, I'm going on a weekend trip with some buddies and using said car, and it's the longest drive I'll have driven in those 12 years. It's 2 and 1/2 hours, with about 40 minutes of that being just getting out of the city (Which is extremely tedious driving, but also very easy).

Looking forward to it though. We rented a house with a gorgeous mountain view in the Hudson Valley, and we're doing tours and tastings at two distilleries, two breweries, and two wineries. My belated 30th birthday present to myself.

Reactions: Aethon

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
longest drive i ever did was tennessee. that was wild.

longest drive i did solo was to visit friends at west virginia university. did three hours straight, stopped at a sheetz in east bumblef*** pa off i-81, then another three hours straight. not that bad but you need to make sure you have a fire playlist or you might go bananas. also my ass was sore my first night there, but it really is a beautiful drive in terms of scenery once you hit western maryland.

i find the best entertainment for long drives is grand theft auto radio stations off youtube :laugh:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yeah she may try that next. Just seems witch doctor esque

Honestly smoking pot would probably help, but I'm not too keen on that and neither is she lol
Sounds like we're in a similar boat.

My girl's tried acupuncture, prescribed meds, over the counter meds, more of this, less of that, low caffeine, no caffeine, hot pads, cold pads, etc etc. With a MRI and a CT Scan to boot.

Unfortunately neither of us is willing to entertain mj as an option either.

Good luck and if you guys figure out what helps please post it here.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Yeah she may try that next. Just seems witch doctor esque

Honestly smoking pot would probably help, but I'm not too keen on that and neither is she lol

there is a growing variety of methods of consumption that involve high-cbd/low-thc strains and no smoking whatsoever. i understand the controversy around this topic and to each their own but i think it's at least worth doing some research.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Are they sure it's migraines, have they been diagnosed with it? Do they have any sinus problems, that's what my problem was and I'll elaborate further if anyone wants. Ugh, I truly feel for anyone who has to endure any headache issue, it's absolutely brutal and just ruins your quality of life.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
there is a growing variety of methods of consumption that involve high-cbd/low-thc strains and no smoking whatsoever. i understand the controversy around this topic and to each their own but i think it's at least worth doing some research.

Oh I'm all for medical marijuana and it can do wonders. With her field of work it's not the best to do at the moment and I also dont like girls smoking, whether its cigs, pot, crack, whatever, its so unattractive for me lol. Edibles could be a different story though.

Are they sure it's migraines, have they been diagnosed with it? Do they have any sinus problems, that's what my problem was and I'll elaborate further if anyone wants. Ugh, I truly feel for anyone who has to endure any headache issue, it's absolutely brutal and just ruins your quality of life.

She's been diagnosed with "chronic migraines" many times. Other than checking for a brain tumor I'm not sure what other issues they've looked into to be honest.

Reactions: New Jersey

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Doctor recommended I see a genetic counselor to discuss my risks for certain cancers and diseases. I guess my risk is pretty high if I had one at 21.

Also - my hometown recently had a warning that the water was bad. This is in Sussex county but still, I wonder if it had anything to do with it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I've done the trip a couple of times and this is solid advice.

Are you sure your 8 month old is going to sleep the whole night through? We had the same plan with my daughter at about that age and she was miss cranky pants sitting in the car seat near bed time when we took a drive to just the Poconos. It was UNBEARABLE!

Are you going to be OK? The drive is boring as sin. There's nothing to look at in the daytime, let alone at night. And to keep a four year old in a car for more than 2 hours during the day without a break is probably not going to happen.

The drive back is way worse.

For fun, count how many South of the Border signs you go past. It's gotta be at least 50.

Super optimistic to all your very valid concerns. The 8 month old sleeps very well and hopefully continues to do the same. I’m hoping with a break or two and an iPad the 4 year old is tolerable.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I honestly can’t understand how people live in Nassau county. It’s one gigantic f***ing traffic jam and it takes 45 minutes to go anywhere. God forbid you need to go somewhere far away. And these people deal with this on an everyday basis. Do you all know there are places you can live where there isn’t always traffic?!

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Super optimistic to all your very valid concerns. The 8 month old sleeps very well and hopefully continues to do the same. I’m hoping with a break or two and an iPad the 4 year old is tolerable.

Be sure to stop at a waffle house along the way! or two, or 10, or all 500 you'll see

Reactions: New Jersey

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I honestly can’t understand how people live in Nassau county. It’s one gigantic ****ing traffic jam and it takes 45 minutes to go anywhere. God forbid you need to go somewhere far away. And these people deal with this on an everyday basis. Do you all know there are places you can live where there isn’t always traffic?!

I live in the capital of South Carolina and I drive through downtown on my way to work. My commute is 15 mins max. I work in the heart of the city and I’ve never once took longer than 20 minutes to get to my parking spot in the garage.

I cannot imagine commuting over an hour again. I will take lesser paying jobs to have this commute.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
If it wasn't for the fact that my commute to work every day is basically identical to the drive every other weekend to see my extended family as a kid, I don't think I would be able to cope with it.

Route 17/120/3/1&9 every day. :help:

On days the traffic is really bad I suck it up and pay tolls on the Parkway/Turnpike.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
She's been diagnosed with "chronic migraines" many times. Other than checking for a brain tumor I'm not sure what other issues they've looked into to be honest.

Oh ok, I get an ocular migraine every now and then, just brutal, can't really do anything about it, it just has to pass. I've had acupuncture for my headache issue back when I was seeing a million different doctors trying to figure out my issue. It definitely helped out, maybe just a placebo effect but it helped me to relax and feel a little bit better. Going to a chiropractor helped me out too to get rid of tension type stuff that Jim alluded too.

My chiropractor mentioned to me something that kinda made sense. He looked at a headache as a pool with all these hoses going into it. When it overflowed that's when it felt the worst, if you could just pull out one or of two those hoses (like getting acupuncture or another treatment) you could get a little relief, any little respite helps.

I didn't respond well to medication at all. Tylenol or Advil does absolutely nothing for me, neither did any of the heavy duty prescription stuff, nothing at all except feeling fuzzy. I threw all that crap out, I'm glad I didn't go down that road.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
When I was a kid, like 8-12 years old, I used to get a gnarly migraine that was so bad it would trigger a vomiting episode like every other month.

When I starting wearing glasses and strained my eyes less at 12/13 years old, the frequency of migraines plummeted. I think it's been well over a year and half now since I had a migraine that literally forced me to try and sleep it off.

Reactions: JK3

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

You're so lucky. I'm wondering what I did to my parents as a kid to deserve my fate...lol

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
As a frequent visitor of the Poconos and Lancaster PA we are well versed in the Waffle House lol.

The All-Star Breakfast is a steal!

Waffle, Two Eggs, Hash Browns, Two Pieces of Toast, Choice of Bacon, Ham, or Sausage, Coffee, and Juice for like $6-8 depending on the location of the Waffle House

Reactions: NJDevils17

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
If it wasn't for the fact that my commute to work every day is basically identical to the drive every other weekend to see my extended family as a kid, I don't think I would be able to cope with it.

Route 17/120/3/1&9 every day. :help:

On days the traffic is really bad I suck it up and pay tolls on the Parkway/Turnpike.
287:thumbd: And 9:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad