OT: The Thread About NaDa Thing 198 The Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
They're both part time, the one I want to quit was supposed to lead to a full time job but they've been stringing me along for months. And I hate doing it. I hate the work, the schedule, the commute, all of it.

I feel bad because they're nice people and they don't know I dislike the job. But juggling these two jobs is torture. My other job wants to give me more responsibility so I'm planning on doing that full time and then going for my Masters.

I second TheUnseenHand's advice.

Just make sure you are able to pay the bills. A ****** job is better than no job.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
They're both part time, the one I want to quit was supposed to lead to a full time job but they've been stringing me along for months. And I hate doing it. I hate the work, the schedule, the commute, all of it.

I feel bad because they're nice people and they don't know I dislike the job. But juggling these two jobs is torture. My other job wants to give me more responsibility so I'm planning on doing that full time and then going for my Masters.

Go into the one you want to quit and demand a raise or full time status or you're quitting. It's a win either way then - they either give you a reason to stay or you go where you were heading anyways.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I am a firm believer in always being professional and courteous. Don't burn any bridges even if you know you will never be back there. Be respectful even if you think they weren't to you. Tell them the truth, put in your 2 weeks, and move forward. I'm assuming you will be fine without it.

Gotta agree here and if they happen to act sour towards you as a result of you expressing your interest in leaving, still take the high road and be respectful.

Also doesn't hurt to tell them something like you just didn't see room for personal growth there and you are at a point where you think you are ready to take the next step and you don't believe that step is available there.

No sense in torturing yourself doing something that doesn't make you happy at all from the things you mentioned you didn't like about it. Sometimes you have to do what is in the best interest for you and this seems like one of those instances.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I am a firm believer in always being professional and courteous. Don't burn any bridges even if you know you will never be back there. Be respectful even if you think they weren't to you. Tell them the truth, put in your 2 weeks, and move forward. I'm assuming you will be fine without it.

Good advice.

Hit up the people you were closest/most friendliest with with a LinkedIn link too. Never know when contacts could be useful again depending on where they migrate to/from.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I know Jim this is right up your alley. I got this email today - signing up.

Headwaters are one of the most important part of the river for cutthroat trout. These small streams and wetlands are home to the healthiest populations of species like cutthroat trout and salmon, and are crucial for spawning and young fish.

Today, these waters are lacking clear protections, despite the essential role they play in the health of fish, waterfowl and aquatic habitat.

The good news? The Environmental Protection Agency is incredibly close to completing the Clean Water Rule. Finally, the original protections for small streams and headwaters will once again apply to these important aquatic habitats—but only if we stop some members of Congress from their attempts to undermine the Clean Water Act.

Take action to restore protections for habitat essential for the long-term survival of cutthroat trout, salmon and waterfowl.

https://online.nwf.org/site/Advocac...aterRule_CutthroatTrout_SHA|custom_string23||

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The NWF and the EPA. Two groups a nature lover like myself should theoretically love, yet I loathe.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Something else I loathe?

The new GOOG maps. Seriously, it stinks. The other one was 100x easier to use, and more importantly, it actually worked.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
They have so many programs and causes they support it almost feels lobbyist filthy at times but this one issue seemed clearly worth supporting to me. Headwaters and entire species of fish at risk is something I can wade through. Pun intended.

Agreed; assuming it actually has something remotely to do with that.

I've grown so cynical of each of those entities that my trust level is like a woman that's been cheated on a dozen times.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know Jim this is right up your alley. I got this email today - signing up.

https://online.nwf.org/site/Advocac...aterRule_CutthroatTrout_SHA|custom_string23||
Every stream should be protected. You know, there was a time when conservation was just common sense, I'm not sure what happened but somehow common sense got cooped into a bizarre political movement that has little resemblance of stewardship and so much of an weird anti-establishment den of dissidents.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is he on the main drag (a.k.a. "Horse Farm Boulevard")?

Yeah...There were only 3 properties for 1 mile on that road for most of my time there...my father tells me stories of when everything was owed by one guy who built the train from his house ...now the golf course right around the corner.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
When we were leaving a game this year we saw him at the stoplight behind the arena and he has the most stereotypical hunter's truck - everything from the style, to tires, accessories, and engine sound :laugh:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

can i ask what you do for work btw afro?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know why I'm
being secretive, Spook Hallow Rd, From the Forbes property on Old Dutch Rd all the way down to Larger Cross Roads.. I had permission to hunt it all. There was a time when I use to see 40 to 50 deer a day it was magnificent. The Thanksgiving Day Fox hunt that was covered by the news and NJ Monthly used to commence with a bishop consecration of the hunt in the field I used hunt. I miss it dearly.

When I was young I met Jackie Kennedy at one of the fox hunts there...kinda cool.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't know why I'm
being secretive, Spook Hallow Rd, From the Forbes property on Old Dutch Rd all the way down to Larger Cross Roads.. I had permission to hunt it all.

That must have been amazing.

It's a shame that probably 1/2 the people that live there now are there to have large houses rather than large chunks of land.

I 100% respect the horse farm folks, but the NYC folk who move to Hunterdon County (or the west 1/3 of Somerset County) and then complain because they hear a rooster pizz me off like you wouldn't believe.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
After the conversation of past hunts I called my soon to be 67 year old father...he told me today he fears he is getting old because he felt tired after walking 5 miles up a ridge that rises in elevation about 600 ft in a mile or so and climbing 18 feet up in old oak to "see the valley" before walking out.

I said were you out of breath? Did your chest hurt? He said no, I just felt whipped out afterwards...

I said "but so would I"

He said "that's because you're a wuss"

Oh I love you pops.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
:laugh: this description just screams this scene

It's not that far from the truth, minus the shooting. You now see, "what to do if you see a bear", stories in our local paper.

NEVER saw that in my life, because everyone who grew up here knows the correct answer is to simply admire it, call your family members to watch, and take a picture. The incorrect NE Jersey / NYC response is to, "call the police and fire department, say your prayers, wear fresh garlic around your neck, and arm your thermal detonator".

After the conversation of past hunts I called my soon to be 67 year old father...he told me today he fears he is getting old because he felt tired after walking 5 miles up a ridge that rises in elevation about 600 ft in a mile or so and climbing 18 feet up in old oak to "see the valley" before walking out.

Where does he live?

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY

I said were you out of breath? Did your chest hurt? He said no, I just felt whipped out afterwards...

I said "but so would I"

He said "that's because you're a wuss"

Oh I love you pops.

Haha id love to have a beer with.that man.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Where does he live?

Pennsylvania.

But he was in NJ near the Water Gap photographing.

If you do an an image search for Kittatinny Ridge you can get an idea of the terrain...It's pretty rugged. Most of that ridge springs straight up from around 500ft to 1200+ in a pretty short distance, in some place it is almost like a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad