Post-Game Talk: The streak is dead, long live the streak! 3-2 Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Yup so they did. 1-0 on a Pacioretty OT goal. I guess Sportsnet meant not losing in regulation when they posted the Caps 9-0-2 record in Montreal since 2009-10..

Oh well I guess I'll let MT off the hook then. Keep up your teams dominance over the Caps at home then MT. :thumbu:

Well that's what the 2 in 9-0-2 means ;) :laugh:

Nynja*

I was watching the CSN feed, and on one of the plays someone cut down the wing and fired a shot from just inside the circle. The color commentator was saying how the D just made sure the winger couldnt cut to the middle and let him shoot uncontested from that far because Holtby will stop that shot 99 times out of 100 instead of risking a deflection changing trajectory and beating Holtby.

Caps had 5 shots in the home plate area, 2 of them went in. We had 3 shots in the home plate area. The goal that came from outside the home plate area was a shot that Condon deflected 20 feet straight up into the air then landed on his back and in.

Nynja*

You can talk about "deserving to win" all you want, but you have to put yourself in a position to win if you want to win.

Chucky's line had 4 shots from Chuck, 4 from Eller, and 2 from Ghetto in 38 min of EV/PP TOI, generating one shot per 1.27 min (ATOI divided by 3 divided by shots)
Patch's line had 9 from patch, 1 from davey and 1 from Weise in 58 minutes of combined EV/PP TOI, generating 1 shot per 1.76 min.
Plek's line had 1 shot from plek, 1 from flash, 3 from Byron (LOL) in 59 minutes of combined EV/PP TOI, generating 1 shot per 3.93 min.

Who was out in the last 5 minutes of the game?
Flynn's line was out there for about a minute. They switched for Pleks line who had about 70 seconds. Then Chucky's line was out for a brisk 25-30 second shift. Then Davey's line goes on for 40 seconds, where Weise takes a selfish stupid penalty (I dont care if the ref's "never call that late in a game", I'll say the same thing if the person taking the penalty was Eller or PK or Patch or whoever). Who goes out for the first PK wave? Byron, Petry, Gilbert, Flynn. Are you kidding me? They get out of the zone, Condon goes to the bench and we have PK Flash Gilbert Plek and Chucky as the extra.

I mean, its great Chucky was out there at that point, but Plek's line was garbage all night, and thats the line deployed with the extra skater?

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
The Golden Sate Warriors were in an eerily similar situation a couple years ago. They had an obviously bad veteran coach in Mark Jackson, who got them to the second round of the playoffs because they had an amazing roster. They fired Jackson then won the title last year and are 20-0 this year. Even though he had a good record as the Warriors coach it was extremely obvious he was holding the team back (Draymon Green went from starting 12 games to starting 78, the warriors best 5 man unit in the league and they rarely if ever played together under Jackson).

Umm, you're forgetting about a little-known player called Steph Curry.

Unless Alex Galchenyuk magically becomes the undisputed best player in the NHL and starts breaking scoring records and wins the Art Ross and the Hart trophies over players such as Jamie Benn, Patrick Kane, and Alex Ovechkin, the Habs are far and away from becoming a dominant team like the Golden State Warriors.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Unless Alex Galchenyuk magically becomes the undisputed best player in the NHL and starts breaking scoring records and wins the Art Ross and the Hart trophies over players such as Jamie Benn, Patrick Kane, and Alex Ovechkin, the Habs are far and away from becoming a dominant team like the Golden State Warriors.

As soon as Therrien is fired, Galchenyuk will magically become that player, duh. :dunce:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
You can talk about "deserving to win" all you want, but you have to put yourself in a position to win if you want to win.

Chucky's line had 4 shots from Chuck, 4 from Eller, and 2 from Ghetto in 38 min of EV/PP TOI, generating one shot per 1.27 min (ATOI divided by 3 divided by shots)
Patch's line had 9 from patch, 1 from davey and 1 from Weise in 58 minutes of combined EV/PP TOI, generating 1 shot per 1.76 min.
Plek's line had 1 shot from plek, 1 from flash, 3 from Byron (LOL) in 59 minutes of combined EV/PP TOI, generating 1 shot per 3.93 min.

Who was out in the last 5 minutes of the game?
Flynn's line was out there for about a minute. They switched for Pleks line who had about 70 seconds. Then Chucky's line was out for a brisk 25-30 second shift. Then Davey's line goes on for 40 seconds, where Weise takes a selfish stupid penalty (I dont care if the ref's "never call that late in a game", I'll say the same thing if the person taking the penalty was Eller or PK or Patch or whoever). Who goes out for the first PK wave? Byron, Petry, Gilbert, Flynn. Are you kidding me? They get out of the zone, Condon goes to the bench and we have PK Flash Gilbert Plek and Chucky as the extra.

I mean, its great Chucky was out there at that point, but Plek's line was garbage all night, and thats the line deployed with the extra skater?

Good post.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good post.

Meh, that post is obsessed with Weise's penalty when there were several Cap transgressions that were far more egregious and weren't called. That Weise call was highly subjective, Denis Gauthier played enough NHL games to know it and he normally doesn't bring up penalized plays unless there is some issue to be raised. We weren't lucky otherwise we'd have been on a PP to close the game.

Nynja*

1-about 5% of my post was about the penalty, so I dont get how you think it was "obsessed" over
2-you dont see anything wrong with taking a penalty nowhere near the puck with 1:52 to go in a game where you're down by 1 goal?

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011

Yes, when will the Canadiens be able to acquire an MVP caliber player. It's also harder for a forward in hockey to have the same impact as a star NBA player so this MVP caliber player would probably need to be a goalie. It's been so long since the Canadiens have had a Hart Trophy winner( preferably a goalie). Does anyone on the board know the last time a Canadiens player won the Hart Trophy? You're right the comparison would only make sense if the Canadiens had the reigning MVP who played a position where it is possible for this player to carry the team on his back a la Curry.

Galchenyuk would be more of a Green comparison, talented younger player put in increased role.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Meh, that post is obsessed with Weise's penalty when there were several Cap transgressions that were far more egregious and weren't called. That Weise call was highly subjective, Denis Gauthier played enough NHL games to know it and he normally doesn't bring up penalized plays unless there is some issue to be raised. We weren't lucky otherwise we'd have been on a PP to close the game.

I was specifically refering to the part about the shots generated. 4-4-2 by Galchenyuk's line is much more balanced compared to DD's line of 9-1-1 which illustrates PERFECTLY why all you have to do to castrate that line is cut off the pass to Pacioretty. Predictable city.

Also despite everybody lying about Therrien rewarding those worthy of ice time, the reality is meritocracy does not and never has existed under Therrien.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Yes, when will the Canadiens be able to acquire an MVP caliber player. It's also harder for a forward in hockey to have the same impact as a star NBA player so this MVP caliber player would probably need to be a goalie. It's been so long since the Canadiens have had a Hart Trophy winner( preferably a goalie). Does anyone on the board know the last time a Canadiens player won the Hart Trophy? You're right the comparison would only make sense if the Canadiens had the reigning MVP who played a position where it is possible for this player to carry the team on his back a la Curry.

Galchenyuk would be more of a Green comparison, talented younger player put in increased role.

2001-2002, Vezina & Hart winner - Jose Theodore.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The PGT dwells on the absence of Price and the sterling goaltending of Holtby. It doesn't take the absence of Gallagher into account. That might have affected the result.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The PGT dwells on the absence of Price and the sterling goaltending of Holtby. It doesn't take the absence of Gallagher into account. That might have affected the result.

No... not at all. This PGT dwells on the absence of any rationality from our coach.

Desharnais and Byron playing 20 min. a game? We know it won't work come playoffs time.

Galchenyuk (and Eller) playing 12min. a night? We know it's sub-optimal.

This has nothing to do with goaltending or with Gallagher's injury status.

Are you guys gonna start to use injuries in order to explain why we can't be a dominant team?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
No... not at all. This PGT dwells on the absence of any rationality from our coach.

Desharnais and Byron playing 20 min. a game? We know it won't work come playoffs time.

Galchenyuk (and Eller) playing 12min. a night? We know it's sub-optimal.

This has nothing to do with goaltending or with Gallagher's injury status.

Are you guys gonna start to use injuries in order to explain why we can't be a dominant team?
Don't say not at ll. And yes, injuries do inhibit dominance. If the Habs went into the playoffs without Price and Gallagher I wouldn't be confident of their winning even one round.

Nynja*

Don't say not at ll. And yes, injuries do inhibit dominance. If the Habs went into the playoffs without Price and Gallagher I wouldn't be confident of their winning even one round.

Would you say MT has made best use of what was at his disposal last game?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Also despite everybody lying about Therrien rewarding those worthy of ice time, the reality is meritocracy does not and never has existed under Therrien.

It does, but isn't applied consistently. Just when you think you've figured him out, he resorts to his old ways.

TheAntiPrice

Oct 25, 2009
Montreal, QC

We already have a Curry equivalent in Price, Galchenyuk = Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad