OT: The Soccer Football Thread (USA, RBNY, PL, etc.)

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) CHIEF KEEFE
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
At least they had the good sense to hire Tata Martino when our federation told him to **** off since he would have posed a threat to the Fed's business model.

You gonna shout “p*to!” timed with opposition goal kicks?

Listen, I agonize over the disarray the USMNT currently is in, but seeing as supporting them (or any USA sports team) is literally the only way I show anything resembling patriotism, I’m stuck with them. (Even then, I rooted for Puerto Rico to beat USA in the World Baseball Classic final a couple years ago.)

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
13-0. Obscene.

Sorry, it might be the world cup, but at least stop the celebrations after scoring the 10, 11, 12......

What this game showed was the weakness of top-level women's sports. You're not going to hear or read that anywhere, because it's totally non-PC, and in 2019 you get castrated, imprisoned, beaten, and then executed for non-PC statements, but it's 100% the truth.

There simply are not 24 top-level women's teams on planet earth to play a tournament like this & not get drubbings. Now granted, 13-0 is extreme, but blowouts are not uncommon in women's soccer, there were two or three games in 2015 that were something like 10-0. Compare that to the men's game where there are 32 teams (i.e. a 33% bigger tourney), and drubbings like this do not occur at the top-level of a World Cup. The worst beating in the last men's world cup after a zillion games was a 6-1 game.

Reactions: The Devil In I

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What this game showed was the weakness of top-level women's sports. You're not going to hear or read that anywhere, because it's totally non-PC, and in 2019 you get castrated, imprisoned, beaten, and then executed for non-PC statements, but it's 100% the truth.

There simply are not 24 top-level women's teams on planet earth to play a tournament like this & not get drubbings. Now granted, 13-0 is extreme, but blowouts are not uncommon in women's soccer, there were two or three games in 2015 that were something like 10-0. Compare that to the men's game where there are 32 teams (i.e. a 33% bigger tourney), and drubbings like this do not occur at the top-level of a World Cup. The worst beating in the last men's world cup after a zillion games was a 6-1 game.

I was just having this same discussion with my roommates. Totally agree.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In fairness if you had a 24-team WC with the men when soccer was just starting out you would have had those same type of drubbings. You can still get it if you go far enough down the trough - Spain-Tahiti in the Confed Cup a few years ago comes to mind. Until the early ‘70’s you would only get like one or two spots total for CONCACAF (usually Mexico), Asia and Africa in the WC though. The WC was entirely a South America/Europe invitational.

Ultimately the only way for these other nations to improve and get better is to take a few drubbings first. Look how much parity there is now in basketball, you wouldn’t have thought that 25 years ago when the Dream Team could name the score against anyone.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You see these same type blowouts in international hockey (especially at the junior level).

The comparisons between the U.S. Men’s team and the Women’s team is stupid though. What something like today shows is the U.S Women have the single biggest infrastructural advantage other other countries that the Men’s team does not have. That is the U.S. primarily develops its athletes through its college sports system, rather than through sporting academies. Because of laws like Title XI (and I’m not saying that this is something wrong or isn’t right), the U.S. women are able to access quality coaching and match time that frankly aren’t available in the rest of the world.

On the Men’s side the professional game has billions upon billions of dollars invested in it and the profession teams sink money into development, the Men’s team is at a disadvantage. Players in other countries are more fully developed and have more playing time at 18-19 years old by the time the US players are hitting the NCAA.

That’s why it is annoying to listen to some of the Women’s team players because frankly they sound like a trust fund baby who was born on 3rd base and thinks they hit a triple.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That’s why it is annoying to listen to some of the Women’s team players because frankly they sound like a trust fund baby who was born on 3rd base and thinks they hit a triple.

It's not their lack of appreciation that bothers me, it's their complete lack of understanding of basic economics that bothers me. As a finance person I guess that's to be expected.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
international hockey teams won't celebrate hard after a certain point, though. just head pats and lowkey high fives to the bench, not full on fist pumps and glass slams

This same, "lack of top-level teams" problem is even bigger in women's ice hockey.

In fact, there were rumors the sport was in danger of being eliminated from the Olympics because of the perception it is pretty much a USA/Canada farce of a "competition" (because it is).

Reactions: OmNomNom

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I feel terrible for the Thailand team, didn't watch the game, but 13-0 is absolutely ridiculous. After like the 8th goal, they should've laid off. Guess there is no such thing as sportswomanship.

Would love to watch the USWNT get blown out 13-0 by the U-15 US Men's team, because they usually get destroyed.

They got smoked by the FC Dallas U-15 team ffs

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I hope the US women smoke every team they play in this tournament with ridiculous scores and celebrate every single goal as much as possible.

Do you guys really give a shit that Thailand might have had their feelings hurt? Because I don't.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
lol I *love* what this thread is turning into right now...

particularly among those among us who never post in this thread or show any interest in soccer until something like this happens. :eyeroll:

I hope the US women smoke every team they play in this tournament with ridiculous scores and celebrate every single goal as much as possible.

Do you guys really give a **** that Thailand might have had their feelings hurt? Because I don't.

just pointing out the overlap between those who are upset Thailand got embarrassed and the USWNT celebrated all of their goals and those who eschew "PC culture."

Last edited:

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I feel terrible for the Thailand team, didn't watch the game, but 13-0 is absolutely ridiculous. After like the 8th goal, they should've laid off. Guess there is no such thing as sportswomanship.

Would love to watch the USWNT get blown out 13-0 by the U-15 US Men's team, because they usually get destroyed.

They got smoked by the FC Dallas U-15 team ffs

*cuts nose to spite face*

literally the only reason the USSF is relevant internationally right now is because of the women's team, particularly because the men's side is a total f***ing shitshow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad