The Simmonds trade was truly awful

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
People are saying that Simmonds will get grossly overpaid on his next contract but I just don't see it, I don't think teams will be offering long term deals. I don't see teams lining up the big offers for a guy that just put up 30 points and looks absolutely lost and a shell of his former self. I would think he gets a 1-2 year deal at 4-5 M a year but not much more than that. If he proves he can be the player he once was on a 1 year deal then a team will offer longer term.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'd totally take him on the Kings for veteran leadership purposes if he signed a two-year contract. We are going to be bad anyways so let's have some leadership and toughness for the young guys coming up.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What about the Hayes trade? We got an even better return than the Flyers did for Simmonds.

Hayes is a much better hockey player than Simmonds now, so he should have fetched more. Simmonds has been bad for 2 years. Flyers fans saw it....some chose to ignore it. Other teams saw it too.

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
Question for Preds fans--are you happy with Poile? 20 years as Preds GM. Would you want management to make a change?
Happy? Probably. He has kept the team competitive and far from awful. He has worked with what he has had and been capable of doing. His daily management has been fine. His risks never pay off though. You can say he has also kept the team from being great, too.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
it was a good gamble. they could have gotten a top 6 guy for very little. no way they resign hartman and hes not that good.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Meh, for whatever reason we can't fathom, the coaching staff didn't like Ryan Hartman. I have no misconception that Hartman would have ever done anything for us either. He was already basically relegated to the sidelines in Nashville. So the Preds didn't exactly give up anything for Simmonds. It was worth a try. Simmonds has a nice track record and we did need a netfront presence. On that side of the ledger it was fine. I think Hartman was better than they gave him credit for, but in a pragmatic sense, that trade didn't hurt us at all.

The original trade getting Hartman from Chicago DOES hurt though. Giving up that much for him, it's clear at the GM level they originally wanted him to become a longer term asset for the team. They paid a steep price. Then didn't use him and squandered the assets. That's the part that hurts.

Meh. We have pissed away first rounders and got much less in return.

Think about what the Jets have pissed away at the deadline these last two years

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Question for Preds fans--are you happy with Poile? 20 years as Preds GM. Would you want management to make a change?

Absolutely not.

Poile has assembled a team that should be among the top in the league for years to come. We just need a coaching staff that can get them to perform. A merely mediocre power play would have had us in the second round and in good shape to go a lot farther

Reactions: NNCbama

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
You're making Hartman sound like a first liner. That dude will never be a top 6 player lol. Not the best trade, sure, but this is far from as bad as it gets. Remember how they got Forsberg?

Reactions: PredsV82

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The problem is less about trading Hartman+ 4th for Simmonds. It’s more about having just traded a 1st+ prospect for Hartman last year then giving him away for a non- effective rental this year. Just bad asset management.
Exactly that. It was a head scratcher at the time for me, because Hartman was never a guy who was going to move the needle for Nashville anyway. They have the grit and the greasy scoring. If you’re gonna drop a first on a deadline acquisition it should’ve been for the kind of guy they didn’t have, the dynamic offense-first guy who can put up points and supplement their scoring. That’s what I thought they would do this year with the likes of Duchene up for grabs but it still didn’t happen.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What was Nashville thinking? Giving up 24-year-old Ryan Hartman and a 4th for a 30-year-old rental Wayne Simmonds never made any sense to begin with, and then Simmonds proceeded to score one goal in nineteen games.

Just a brutal trade, one of the worst I can remember. Nashville basically gave away Hartman for free.
Hmm...Simmonds was a good player on Philly...when I would watch they would always say Simmonds scores now you get free tasty cakes or something like that

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Some team will likely give him a Ladd/Lucic contract and regret it almost immediately. Most GM's aren't very long term oriented since it's not their money. Or they're not very intelligent.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
David Poile is low-key one of the worst trading GMs there is. If it wasn't for the stupidity of Montreal and GMGM his track record would be flat out horrible.

Not even close to true. Subban for Weber is still a one and Forsberg trade was highway robbery. He has had a few disappointing outcomes but the outweighs the bad.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Meh. We have pissed away first rounders and got much less in return.

Think about what the Jets have pissed away at the deadline these last two years

Stastny was worth what the Jets paid last year. Hayes not so much given how the Jets looked in the second half of the season. A long playoff run was unlikely even with the addition of Hayes.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I've been thinking this for quite some time. The Jones for Johansen and the Girard+ for Turris trades too look awful right now.
It’s like all the trades for forwards except for Forsberg fall apart for them
I thought the Granlund trade was highway robbery for them.
Boy was I wrong

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
The real winner is of course whoever signs Simmonds to a multi year contract this offseason

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Bad trade for Philly, too. Hartman is a bum and a 4th round pick is shot in the dark that most likely never sees an NHL game.
Hartman produced at a 2nd Line level at ES... someone has the exact number, but it’s should be around #49 for RW at ES.

PHI would be perfectly happy if he provides a little energy at least once a game and hits the 12G - 18A - 30P mark. I was a big supporter for Simmer and I still am, but this sentiment of degradation is hard to argue against.

In the end all Hartman did was have an initial explosive game and then disappeared...but at least he can skate.
This is also very true. He did disappear after all those nice hits against BUF.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Hartman produced at a 2nd Line level at ES... someone has the exact number, but it’s should be around #49 for RW at ES.

PHI would be perfectly happy if he provides a little energy at least once a game and hits the 12G - 18A - 30P mark. I was a big supporter for Simmer and I still am, but this sentiment of degradation is hard to argue against.

This is also very true. He did disappear after all those nice hits against BUF.
You'll get real tired of his moronic penalties. There is a reason Poile let Hartman go so easily after giving up a 1st the year before for him.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Who would have thought that trading for a player who was last good two years ago who also can’t skate would be a bad idea??? Shocker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad