The Semin is the Debil / Grinders Uber Alles Thread

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Their 70+ Corsi play was not sustainable, and it didn't work in playoffs. End of story.

(Trying to jinx anti-Semin crowd obviously)

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
For some reason I don't think we'll have this problem with Green.

I think the Semin hate was irritational. I think he was a product of our idiot general manager refusing to have a veteran coach lead a bunch of talented young players.

I think we have the absolute problem: nobody hates their players as much as this fan base. We had posters wanting to trade Ovechkin last year. We have fans who can't give guys like Burakovsky, Kuznetsov, and Wilson away fast enough. It's pretty pathetic.

go to the Pens board, the hate toward crosby when he was slumping was so hilarious to read.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Heh, the mention of #28 even causes ancient Titans to briefly return from exile.

Yeah.. I guess he's not a great fit. Or at least risky. Although I never thought he was a passenger in playoffs -- just not consistent enough offensively to really justify the cap hit. Like Green. Of course, he rarely had linemates with any chemistry.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
IF his wrist his healthy

This is the key question to me. If he is over it or realistically should be soon then this is a no brainer IMO as this team is in desperate need of skill and talent up front. If not then you have to pass as this team has enough hard questions ahead of it without adding $3.5 mil for the next 3 years. This all comes down to his health for me.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Being back sasha! He's still good friends with the Russian guys at least. In Carolina he's probably miserable and regrets signing with them. Some guys play a lot better when they're happy where they are playing.

Halpysback*

Semin + Sekera with Semin's contract only retaining like a mil or so being used to cheapen the overall acquisition price would have been a major coup. Most complete team we'd have ever had. Semin would still be our best RW even without finding his mojo, and if he did then he'd be a legit top line RW. And one bloody LD who knows how to make an offensive play would add an entire new dimension to this team.

As much as people love to crap on him for double standardy reasons Semin being traded has a Gaborik from Columbus to LA vibe.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
We do need an infusion of skill, but Semin hasn't exactly lit it up in the playoffs when he was with the Caps. The only way I'd do that deal if it's a complete steal (low pick and a meh prospect like Galiev) with Carolina picking up salary.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
We do need an infusion of skill, but Semin hasn't exactly lit it up in the playoffs when he was with the Caps. The only way I'd do that deal if it's a complete steal (low pick and a meh prospect like Galiev) with Carolina picking up salary.

he had some big goals but also he was invisible at times, defense was never a prob with pk bonus too...damn i hope he comes back, he is in his prime and only needs some confidence, i have no doubt he would regain his old form with the caps. his contract is just to sucky

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
he had some big goals but also he was invisible at times, defense was never a prob with pk bonus too...damn i hope he comes back, he is in his prime and only needs some confidence, i have no doubt he would regain his old form with the caps. his contract is just to sucky

I have nothing but love for Shasha but without an Arnott-esque Semin whisperer on the team, I can see Trotz getting super frustrated at him.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Now that it seems Sharp was never on the table, I'll go back to hammering the Semin @ 50% retained point home, lol.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I took that into account.

Yeah? What do you think it is going to cost to acquire Sharp? Not what would be a fair offer but what is actually going to get it done since there will definitely be plenty of very interested parties?

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA

I'm worried about his wrist since his value is in his wicked wrister, and if he can't shoot the puck due to injury then he won't bring anything to the table. He also takes a ton of stupid penalties and gets called for diving ALOT.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yeah? What do you think it is going to cost to acquire Sharp? Not what would be a fair offer but what is actually going to get it done since there will definitely be plenty of very interested parties?

To be clear, I took into account what my best offer would be. If it doesn't get Sharp, it doesn't get him :dunno: Even if they were to pay more, as long as there isn't anything more coming off the roster, I'm probably still OK with it. Then again, I'm OK with a few years of not very good teams a few years down the road in order to take their best shot when they have the greatest opportunity.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
To be clear, I took into account what my best offer would be. If it doesn't get Sharp, it doesn't get him :dunno: Even if they were to pay more, as long as there isn't anything more coming off the roster, I'm probably still OK with it. Then again, I'm OK with a few years of not very good teams a few years down the road in order to take their best shot when they have the greatest opportunity.

Well then sure the fantasy of your 'best' offer wins every time then. It wouldn't likely get it done but what does that matter. But just for ***** and giggles what is your best offer for Sharp in the offseason? 33 year old winger with 2 more years at $5.9 mil cap hit having an injury plagued down year.

Last edited by a moderator:

IvanMalison

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Sure it does. But why would it be any different under Trotz? And shouldn't injuries be taken into account?

I don't really see the Caps, as currently formulated, as legitimate SC contenders. The reason a move for Semin appeals to me is because it has a high enough ceiling that it really could turn the Caps into contenders. Sure, there is a good chance that Semin comes here and continues to play as he has been in carolina. There is also a chance that he is reinvigorated by the trade and he starts producing like a 1st line player again. If he does that, I think the they have a shot at the cup.

Obviously, this would be contingent upon carolina taking on a significant chunk of Semin's salary (probably at least 35%) because without such a clause the move could potentially handicap the caps far too much.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Semin for $3.5M? So many questions, but the depth scoring is the only thing we now really lack.
If he's really healthy... if he's up for a return... if, if, if...

Where would he even fit? I guess on the 1st line, but that doesn't change the 1 line team problem. 2LW with Kuznetsov and Brouwer can also be a thing.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I'd love to see how many bricks get pooped if they deal Laich for Semin with salary retained to make the cap work. Toss is minor/moderate picks to get Carolina to bite. The chemistry majors in here will protest til the cows come home. I get it. Locker room, family, Linden/Zubrus/Zednik, blah, blah, blah. The Rangers traded Callahan last year and made it to the Finals. The Caps have added veteran leadership to the room. I'd hope they'd appreciate the attempt to improve the team. I'd love to see what a finisher like Semin could do on Kuz's wing and Laich is not the player he used to be or is being paid to be.

Try out different permutations of Ovi, Nick, Semin, Kuz, Mojo/Brouwer/Glencross/Bura and see what sticks.

Ovi-Nick-Mojo/Bura/Glencross?
Semin-Kuz-Brouwer
Mojo/Glencross-Fehr-Ward
Chimera-Beagle/Latta-Wilson

Less reliance on youngster and a big infusion of skill. A man can dream.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd love to see how many bricks get pooped if they deal Laich for Semin with salary retained to make the cap work. Toss is minor/moderate picks to get Carolina to bite. The chemistry majors in here will protest til the cows come home. I get it. Locker room, family, Linden/Zubrus/Zednik, blah, blah, blah. The Rangers traded Callahan last year and made it to the Finals. The Caps have added veteran leadership to the room. I'd hope they'd appreciate the attempt to improve the team. I'd love to see what a finisher like Semin could do on Kuz's wing and Laich is not the player he used to be or is being paid to be.

Try out different permutations of Ovi, Nick, Semin, Kuz, Mojo/Brouwer/Glencross/Bura and see what sticks.

Ovi-Nick-Mojo/Bura/Glencross?
Semin-Kuz-Brouwer
Mojo/Glencross-Fehr-Ward
Chimera-Beagle/Latta-Wilson

Less reliance on youngster and a big infusion of skill. A man can dream.

Not saying it's impossible, but if Carolina takes on some salary to make the Laich/Semin swap fit under the cap then aren't they just paying Semin money to Laich for close to the same term? Why would they do that unless we really, really sweetened the pot without adding to their cap? It would have to be some high picks that can return roster players that will be more easily added once guys like Laich/Semin come off the books, I would think.

Seems like a big price for a questionable upgrade, even though I would like to see that swap if both were UFA.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't really see the Caps, as currently formulated, as legitimate SC contenders. The reason a move for Semin appeals to me is because it has a high enough ceiling that it really could turn the Caps into contenders. Sure, there is a good chance that Semin comes here and continues to play as he has been in carolina. There is also a chance that he is reinvigorated by the trade and he starts producing like a 1st line player again. If he does that, I think the they have a shot at the cup.

Obviously, this would be contingent upon carolina taking on a significant chunk of Semin's salary (probably at least 35%) because without such a clause the move could potentially handicap the caps far too much.

Who's markedly better in the East?

League-wide, everybody's got holes. There's a reason Chicago lost their best player and still think they have a shot at the Cup.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Not saying it's impossible, but if Carolina takes on some salary to make the Laich/Semin swap fit under the cap then aren't they just paying Semin money to Laich for close to the same term? Why would they do that unless we really, really sweetened the pot without adding to their cap? It would have to be some high picks that can return roster players that will be more easily added once guys like Laich/Semin come off the books, I would think.

Seems like a big price for a questionable upgrade, even though I would like to see that swap if both were UFA.
Yes. Semin hasn't been good for them lately and has been healthy scratched at times. Sounds like Laich would be a better fit under their current coach.

Maybe Buffalo's 3rd would be enough? 3rd + B prospect? That's not far from what the Kings paid for Gaborik. Maybe add a conditional pick in the 2016 draft based on playoff success?

Eh, I'm probably way off. Laich probably carries more value to the team than I'm giving him credit for based on his on-ice play and Carolina might be better served seeing if Semin can bounce back.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Well then sure the fantasy of your 'best' offer wins every time then. It wouldn't likely get it done but what does that matter. But just for ***** and giggles what is your best offer for Sharp in the offseason? 33 year old winger with 2 more years at $5.9 mil cap hit having an injury plagued down year.

I don't do it in the offseason. My best offer now is Laich + Vrana/Bowey + 1st (or was prior to the Glencross deal).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad