The Semin is the Debil / Grinders Uber Alles Thread

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
What's next? People clamoring for George McPhee to come back? :laugh:

Let's get the gang back together to relive the glory days of 1-and-done meltdowns.

Do you think Semin was the reason we didn't get out of the first round?

In our most famous first round loss (to Halak and his supporters from Montreal), Semin averaged more than 6 shots per game:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...pitals-eastern-conference-quarter-finals.html

He was one of our best players that series but Halak just had his number.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No fanbase loves their ex-players the was this one does. It's weird, honestly.

For some reason I don't think we'll have this problem with Green.

I think the Semin hate was irritational. I think he was a product of our idiot general manager refusing to have a veteran coach lead a bunch of talented young players.

I think we have the absolute problem: nobody hates their players as much as this fan base. We had posters wanting to trade Ovechkin last year. We have fans who can't give guys like Burakovsky, Kuznetsov, and Wilson away fast enough. It's pretty pathetic.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Semin isn't going to come back here so no one should even be discussing this! People in the locker room had issues with him and It's just not a good thing to bring that in right now.

It was the same chance as Jagr ever coming back. Zero.

Very rarely does getting back with your ex ever work... it usually just ends even worse than the first time around. ;)

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Now I see where lies the problem with Semin. Nobody told him not to take stick penalties!

Haha. Touche but I don't think the stick penalties were the reason he fell out of favor. I think it had more to do with perceived laziness or people didn't like him because he's shy.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
For some reason I don't think we'll have this problem with Green.

I think the Semin hate was irritational. I think he was a product of our idiot general manager refusing to have a veteran coach lead a bunch of talented young players.

I think we have the absolute problem: nobody hates their players as much as this fan base. We had posters wanting to trade Ovechkin last year. We have fans who can't give guys like Burakovsky, Kuznetsov, and Wilson away fast enough. It's pretty pathetic.

Semin was/is a world-class donkey. I watched the guy played for 8 years. What happened in Carolina was not the least bit surprising. I wanted the Caps to move him long ago and they would be better off today if they had.

Advocating moving guys doesn't mean you "hate" them.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The Semin "hate" has been justified multiple times by current and former players. His lack of effort/intensity had a negative effect on the locker room.

His skills are only going to deteriorate further, and without them, he brings just about nothing to a team.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Semin is not a fit with AONB, at least there is no evidence of that in their history.

For Kuz line he will probably block Bura from getting top-6 TOI and... maybe not a good fit again. And Semin-Kuz-Brouwer... seriously?

3 more years of risk is too much.

And I like Semin obviously.

caps8

Apr 9, 2007
Semin is not a fit with AONB, at least there is no evidence of that in their history.

For Kuz line he will probably block Bura from getting top-6 TOI and... maybe not a good fit again. And Semin-Kuz-Brouwer... seriously?

Although I personally would prefer to not bring back Semin even at the retained salary, I clearly remember 8-19-28 being one of the most dominant and fun lines to watch whenever they would be put together (usually in late-game, desperate scenarios). Their puck movement in the offensive zone was incredible.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I saw a Tweet some where that said AO/NB/AS was about as dominant as you can get in terms of fancy stats. Soemthing like 70%+ Corsi.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Although I personally would prefer to not bring back Semin even at the retained salary, I clearly remember 8-19-28 being one of the most dominant and fun lines to watch whenever they would be put together (usually in late-game, desperate scenarios). Their puck movement in the offensive zone was incredible.

They were ridiculously good together from what I remember.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They were ridiculously good together from what I remember.

They could also go really cold from overpassing, trying to be too cute, bad defense and low effort. Ovechkin and Backstrom are both better defensively now, and we also have real top defensemen on the team to back them up. So it might be different this time.

:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad