Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part III (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I can’t see the devils doing it. The consensus kid is Hughes always has been. You can’t take that chance and be made to look bad passing on a possible franchise center man.

We’re it the best spot possible. Both these kids are franchise players. We won’t be second guessed. We’ll take whoever isn’t taken but if we get Jack Hughes instead it’s still a Homerun.

Kakko is our guy though and what a guy to build around along with Mika and Kravtsov

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can’t see the devils doing it. The consensus kid is Hughes always has been. You can’t take that chance and be made to look bad passing on a possible franchise center man.

We’re it the best spot possible. Both these kids are franchise players. We won’t be second guessed. We’ll take whoever isn’t taken but if we get Jack Hughes instead it’s still a Homerun.

Kakko is our guy though and what a guy to build around along with Mika and Kravtsov

If it even is an option, it all comes down to how big **** their GM has.

I couldn't totally shoot down the notion that Kakko would be a better option to build a winning organization around. With Hughes you will get flash and dash and big contracts, but that type of game has high highs and low lows.

I would take Jack Hughes over Kaapo Kakko. Kakko is not a mega talent, someone that brings the fans out of their seats. We have more or less never had someone like that in our prime. Hence it becomes an easy decision for me. I think Mike Modano is a good comparison for Hughes.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'd pick this kid ahead of Hughes. He's so far ahead of Rantanen at the same age at the same place and if there was a Rantanen in this year's draft, it'd be hard not to take him first overall (while knowing you have a proven franchise corner stone right there). Nonetheless, like said there aren't many if any things Rantanen was better at when he was still undrafted. Kakko is also the only player in the draft with no question marks, while you can't exactly say the same thing about his number one rival. Hughes will outscore him in the WHC with elite line mates and NHL heavy team and we'll see most of the hockey world sleeping on the fact that Kakko entered the tournament with zero NHL quality line mates and far inferior support cast. Anyway, I haven't really even bothered with the debate and in the end it's just one hockey fan's opinion and kind of irrelevant. Needless to say I'd rather see him play here instead of NJD myself, so I really don't mind about Kakko "just" being the 2nd overall.

It's odd how little talk there's been about Kakko continuing his transitioning to center. He checks all the boxes, has experience playing as a center in the pro level and generally would just fill a hole for Rangers as well in the long run. 4 games and 4 goals in FEL while playing center (+ a number of CHL games I didn't watch personally), all the while not looking out of place. I'm certain should the outcome be as most of us think, the NYR will continue to explore this potential avenue.

Reactions: belford222

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'd pick this kid ahead of Hughes. He's so far ahead of Rantanen at the same age at the same place and if there was a Rantanen in this year's draft, it'd be hard not to take him first overall (while knowing you have a proven franchise corner stone right there). Nonetheless, like said there aren't many if any things Rantanen was better at when he was still undrafted. Kakko is also the only player in the draft with no question marks, while you can't exactly say the same thing about his number one rival. Hughes will outscore him in the WHC with elite line mates and NHL heavy team and we'll see most of the hockey world sleeping on the fact that Kakko entered the tournament with zero NHL quality line mates and far inferior support cast. Anyway, I haven't really even bothered with the debate and in the end it's just one hockey fan's opinion and kind of irrelevant. Needless to say I'd rather see him play here instead of NJD myself, so I really don't mind about Kakko "just" being the 2nd overall.

It's odd how little talk there's been about Kakko continuing his transitioning to center. He checks all the boxes, has experience playing as a center in the pro level and generally would just fill a hole for Rangers as well in the long run. 4 games and 4 goals in FEL while playing center (+ a number of CHL games I didn't watch personally), all the while not looking out of place. I'm certain should the outcome be as most of us think, the NYR will continue to explore this potential avenue.

What are the question marks about Hughes?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I have finally made the switch to putting Hughes 1st though it can change again before the draft. Kakko has been my #1 for a few months

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

As a finn i would not pick Kakko over Hughes. If you actually watch Hughes and think what he has done you just can't see why you would not pick him if you were NJ Devils. And i love Kakko too but i think some of you just can't take the bluewhite glasses off.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Hughes will score 40 and drive his coaches crazy with the rest of his game for years. I dont think Kakko will ever be as dynamic but will be that all around everything player.

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
Devils ownership wouldn't let Shero pass on Hughes even if he wanted to. Having a young American phenom as the face of their franchise is going to make them too much money to pass on.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad