News Article: The Score: Senators receiving lots of calls on Cowen

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I've heard oblique injuries can be nagging and slow to recover but 18months is insane. He hasn't played well over the course of that time. They should have looked into something earlier

Oblique injuries can be nagging and slow to recover even from if youre a fit, young person who can easily and with the ability to take a pressure-free break from athletics. Just day to day, regular activities can strain and re-aggravate an oblique injury. Playing hockey through it and likely taking no more than 4 non-consecutive months off in an 18 month period seems like it would be impossible to recover from.

I also can't believe they didn't look into it earlier.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Oblique injuries can be nagging and slow to recover even from if youre a fit, young person who can easily and with the ability to take a pressure-free break from athletics. Just day to day, regular activities can strain and re-aggravate an oblique injury. Playing hockey through it and likely taking no more than 4 non-consecutive months off in an 18 month period seems like it would be impossible to recover from.

I also can't believe they didn't look into it earlier.

18 months ago has it starting near the mid point to the end of the 2013-14 season (depending on when the 18 months ago started, rel to today, or rel to the surgury, or what?). I guess they hoped the offseason would be enough to heal naturally?

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
18 months ago has it starting near the mid point to the end of the 2013-14 season (depending on when the 18 months ago started, rel to today, or rel to the surgury, or what?). I guess they hoped the offseason would be enough to heal naturally?

Yeah I'm not overly disappointed with the organizations handling of the situation, things like this happen all the time in sports and Cowen likely played the larger role in putting off the surgery, but with the hindsight we have now its clear that earlier action would have been beneficial for the organization and the player.

To be completely frank, when I reply to someone and say something that differs even slightly from the post I'm quoting, I try to find a part of their post that I agree with so they don't feel as though I'm trying to disagree with them or debate them on a small point of difference. Also, Whizar, that is in no way a shot against you or me thinking you would be react negatively to my post. Just something I try to do when I do mostly agree with the tone of the post :nod:

But you, Micklebot, can get bent. I can't believe you'd question me like that. :skeptic: :rant: :madfire::banghead:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah I'm not overly disappointed with the organizations handling of the situation, things like this happen all the time in sports and Cowen likely played the larger role in putting off the surgery, but with the hindsight we have now its clear that earlier action would have been beneficial for the organization and the player.

To be completely frank, when I reply to someone and say something that differs even slightly from the post I'm quoting, I try to find a part of their post that I agree with so they don't feel as though I'm trying to disagree with them or debate them on a small point of difference. Also, Whizar, that is in no way a shot against you or me thinking you would be react negatively to my post. Just something I try to do when I do mostly agree with the tone of the post :nod:

But you, Micklebot, can get bent. I can't believe you'd question me like that. :skeptic: :rant: :madfire::banghead:

Amen brother! ;)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What does Ottawa need?

A solid long term solution to anchor the second pairing on the left side?

An established top 6 player (according to Murray's diary he hides under his pillow at night where he constantly writes "top 6 player" circled in a giant heart).

Ottawa probably isn't getting either one of those for Cowen. The only reason to trade Cowen is that you think he's never going to put it together and will be a bust, and someone is offering a first round pick or something for him where the Senators can cut their losses and pass the risk on to someone else for a fresh start with another prospect.

I doubt the Senators are convinced Cowen is a bust, and unless this story is planted there by the Senators to manipulate Cowen's value, logic would say that if the Senators and multiple other teams see something in Cowen.....he might have something.

Granted, it could be a scenario where there is interest but other GMs are offering something minuscule (in comparison to Cowen's potential) like a mid to late second round pick. In b4 "I'd give up Cowen for a third, let's take that second and run".

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree

The Sun article today on Cowen says 6-8 weeks after the procedure so you'd think they would have had it done sooner. Although I doubt that means playing shape but more likely the soonest he could start some training. It's possible it got worse during the season and he delayed the surgery once the team started winning hoping he could tough it through on the off chance he might dress for the playoffs.

I'd already heard there was lots of interest at the trade deadline and the draft but didn't know there was more interest shown recently.

btw) That article is just a rehash of a small part of a Garrioch article with no real time indicator as to when the calls were received. This could be old news.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The Garrioch article (found here) was from yesterday.

Yes I read it but there is no timeline as to when the calls were made. If you read the context and Cowen's comments it appears the calls were made at an earlier time.

Cowen appreciates the support he's gotten from Murray and his staff by keeping him here and showing belief in what he can bring to the table.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'm still a believer in cowen, but it's probably important to note that a lot of criticism with cowen has been due to his defensive zone decision-making, not just his slowness.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Hearing that he's been dealing with the injury for two years makes me slightly more optimistic that we've only been seeing a shadow of what cowen can be

My thoughts exactly. He looked good during the post-season and looked pretty damn impressive playing for Bingo during the lockout...Made me think he would bring that intensity to the next level when things got settled, but he got injured and never really picked up where he left off.

Would be nice to see a fully healed Cowen bring what he can to this team. Hard to say what role Cameron will give him though.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He can still salvage his career but not with Ottawa, sucks but it happens. Either way we will be mad with the outcome we keep him and he stinks it up or we trade him and he starts to perform. The best the sens can do is maximize a return so it wont sting as much.

That's my thought.

I know he has the potential to be a Pronger-(very)-lite 2nd pairing defenseman. I've seen him carry the puck up the ice with authority enough to know he can at least move and distribute the puck (and thus get 2nd assist points). He can hit and be very nasty (those stupid unwarranted suspensions really screwed him over and hurt that part of his game). And he could read the play well.....when he has confidence.

Thing with him is the confidence. Fans (and media) I think don't have patience left, so if he makes a mistake...he'll hear about it. hard to rebuild the confidence that way.

Might as well make a good deal now before we destroy him. At least we'll get something out of it, and he'll have a clean slate to rebuild his career.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His issue is between the ears, injury or not he makes bad decisions.

I do think injuries can hurt a players confidence however he made decisions that looked like over confidence.

I would love for him to resurrect his career but I am not going to hold my breath. He has been making bad decisions since jr, he hasnt been hurt the entire time.

If they can get a solid prospect or second round pick id make the move.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Hard to make anything out of this unless we know what the offers were. My opinion is that teams would be asking the Sens to retain a portion of his salary in order to take him off of our hands, which would make the risk worthwhile to them. That is a non-starter.

This type of rumor could be an indicator that he is still on the trade block. Will be interesting to see if he is moved when training camp starts.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I will give him until December to see if he improves. If not, then trade him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So... no one else is going to mention that he's been playing with an oblique tear for the past 18 months?

Huh.

OK then.

My God how is that possible?

I tore an oblique and couldn't walk straight for a good month and a half! EDIT: wait, nevermind, I tore a QL not an oblique; got my muscles mixed up there.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I thank you guys for suggesting "The Score" app in place of TSN/Sportsnet. I got it and will never look back at that awful TSN mobile crap.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the organization is going to give Cowen every opportunity to find his game & make this roster as an every day player next season. I would guess that they would give him 25 games or so to show mass improvement from last season before they decide to entertain any thoughts of moving him unless of course they are given a deal they can't refuse. Cowen basically has all the physical tools to be a shutdown defencemen in the NHL & it's his decision making & his inability to move the puck out of his own end under pressure that he needs to be much better at. I wonder what his value is to other teams?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad