News Article: The Score: Senators receiving lots of calls on Cowen

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
His Current NHL team and apparently a collection of other NHL teams think he's a worthwhile investment despite current contract

Fans think he's a joke.

The only logical thing a fan can do is side with the people on the inside. If they think he's got a reason to perform under expectation, perhaps he actually does. And if they think it can be fixed, perhaps he's worth hanging onto.

People seem to forget there was a time where Cowen looked very good at 21-22 years old. There was a time Luke Schenn looked great too, but I never heard injuries being a problem.

Now, if you think injuries may derail his career....I can't say that's a stupid thing to say.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I'm interested to see how he plays this year.

They would be best to put him into Gryba's role - a permanent spot on the third pairing with a very defined shut down role. Up until now he always seemed to be trying to be too many things, he's at a point where having a specific job on the team would be a good thing for him.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
BMGM should pick up the damn phone. Cowen's lack of hockey sense will ensure he never becomes a top 4 NHL d-man.

That is my greatest fear about him. Maybe that and the lack of a physical nastiness. I don't think he's quite a lost cause yet but we are approaching that threshold quickly.

As with any player, its always worth knowing what value he has with other GMs.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He can still salvage his career but not with Ottawa, sucks but it happens. Either way we will be mad with the outcome we keep him and he stinks it up or we trade him and he starts to perform. The best the sens can do is maximize a return so it wont sting as much.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... no one else is going to mention that he's been playing with an oblique tear for the past 18 months?

Huh.

OK then.

Holy crap. That puts some context into his play. How'd they not diagnose (and fix that) much, much earlier? Normally if they don't think it's something that will heal on it's own, they'd get it fixed. I guess they thought this was going to go away on it's own?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Holy crap. That puts some context into his play. How'd they not diagnose (and fix that) much, much earlier? Normally if they don't think it's something that will heal on it's own, they'd get it fixed. I guess they thought this was going to go away on it's own?

18 months is a long time. It probably got worse and Cowen likely didn't complain enough. I hope he bounces back and has a decent year.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
So... no one else is going to mention that he's been playing with an oblique tear for the past 18 months?

Huh.

OK then.

Not surprising. He's been written off by many around here (I don't blame anyone for doing that), the annoying part is when people make an effort to ignore mitigating factors like this in order to maintain their negative opinion about a player.

It is insane that something like that could go on for so long. I have to assume they thought they could avoid surgery and that it would fix itself.

I don't see the value in trading him. The potential upside he has remaining is likely better than anything we could get in a trade. You can't teach the size and mobility (relative to size) this guy has.

He doesn't need to be Pronger to be successful. IMO all he needs is to be the prime Komisarek from the Markov-Komisarek pairing (or even better the Methot from our own first pair) and he'll be tremendously useful as a partner to Karlsson or Ceci.

Still the best Sports score app in the world. Thank goodness Sportsnet hasn't gotten their crappy mitts on it yet.

It is the best all round sports app for sure. Great for fantasy sports and personalized updates too.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Hockey players turn around all the time he's been plagued with injuries and recovery for what 2-3 seasons now.

It's better we just hang onto him.

It's not like we need another position other than LD entering the season.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
His Current NHL team and apparently a collection of other NHL teams think he's a worthwhile investment despite current contract

Fans think he's a joke.

The only logical thing a fan can do is side with the people on the inside. If they think he's got a reason to perform under expectation, perhaps he actually does. And if they think it can be fixed, perhaps he's worth hanging onto.

People seem to forget there was a time where Cowen looked very good at 21-22 years old. There was a time Luke Schenn looked great too, but I never heard injuries being a problem.

Now, if you think injuries may derail his career....I can't say that's a stupid thing to say.

And since then, he's played almost the entire time through incredibly difficult injuries!

I would say that Cowen's rookie season, in 2011-2012, has only been bested by Karlsson and Methot amongst Sens DMen since then. He was an absolute beast. Better than Ceci has been, imo.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Cowen is just so difficult to evaluate. On the one hand, he's still pretty young, plenty of potential to be a solid defenseman and we get a glimpse of what he could become from time to time. On the other hand, aside from the rookie season, he's been under performing. This can be partially attributed to his multiple injuries but it'll be hard for him to reach his potential if he can't stay healthy. He's already behind in development because of that.

GMBM seems to have a lot of faith in Cowen and we should give him a chance to prove himself this year but you have to wonder if the injuries he's suffered so far have put him too far behind in development.

I want him to be good and would love it if he establishes himself as part of our core of defenseman but if he can't show signs of progress this year or suffers yet another major injury I would be open to trading him to a team who's willing to gamble. It would suck to let him go but there are a lot of red flags about him.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Considering the man's physical attributes, past history of general success, injuries and the dead weight well below him on the current depth chart i am more than willing to give JC another year or two.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014

Huh.

OK then.

No kidding.

I'm also going to go out on a whim and say that trading him when his value is as low as it is would be beyond dumb.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Huh.

OK then.

I've heard oblique injuries can be nagging and slow to recover but 18months is insane. He hasn't played well over the course of that time. They should have looked into something earlier

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Hearing that he's been dealing with the injury for two years makes me slightly more optimistic that we've only been seeing a shadow of what cowen can be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad