News Article: The Score: Senators receiving lots of calls on Cowen

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
For score updates it's the Score app. TSN doesn't compare at all in that regard.

TSN Go though has been pretty sweet, so it is good for that

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Who the hell would make calls for Cowen with his 4M+ salary in the middle of offseason?
Looks planted to me.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Who the hell would make calls for Cowen with his 4M+ salary in the middle of offseason?
Looks planted to me.

A team looking for a young defensemen with potential (and size and blabla) for cheap?
I could definitely see a team wanting to buy low on Cowen since he's had a tough couple of years and his salary just isn't justified by his play. Some GMs love reclamation project and Cowen was once one of the best young defensemen of his draft and has shown flashes of what he could potentially become.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A team looking for a young defensemen with potential (and size and blabla) for cheap?
I could definitely see a team wanting to buy low on Cowen since he's had a tough couple of years and his salary just isn't justified by his play. Some GMs love reclamation project and Cowen was once one of the best young defensemen of his draft and has shown flashes of what he could potentially become.

Yeah, a team that isn't worried about cap space (or dollars) that has a roster spot available for a boom or bust prospect would certainly be interested in trying to acquire him for cheap.

If it works out, great, a top 4 D had for minimal assets. If it doesn't, oh well, let him walk at free agency, or offer him whay you feel he's actually worth and let him decide.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Looks planted to me.

a) Why does it have to be a plant?
b) what possible purpose would planting a false rumor of "we've had offers but we want to keep him" ever accomplish? Why even bother in the first place?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I've heard oblique injuries can be nagging and slow to recover but 18months is insane. He hasn't played well over the course of that time. They should have looked into something earlier

Probably re-aggravated it. Hockey players are proud and want to play. What impresses me is you rarely see a player show their pain, but that's probably just because of drugs lol

If you guys want to read a bit about painkillers :

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2011/09/06/does-the-nhl-have-a-painkiller-problem
"Today the biggest problem, which isn’t talked about...is pills. It’s painkillers,” Laperrière said.

“After my operations...I took two or three [pills] a day to ease the pain. But there are guys who take it just for the buzz," he said Friday morning over CKAC Radio (audio), the French language all-sports station.

“[Painkillers] are appropriate for those who need them," he said. "If I just had an operation, I may take my pills for two days, but the doctor gives me pills for twelve days. There are pills left over.”

And those leftover pills are apparently provided by some NHLers to their teammates.

Asked by host Michel Langevin how many players might be taking painkillers on a given team, whether or not they really need them, Laperrière responded, “The teams that I’ve played on, I would say four or five guys per team, and those are the ones I saw.”

Also another article related to Mike Richards (didn't read it but seemed to be relevant)

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...andards-mike-richards-nhl-oxycontin-oxycodone

In b4 "I'd give up Cowen for a third, let's take that second and run".

hahaha

Time to cut bait. It's only sell low if he gets better.

Which is still very likely

i'm still a believer in cowen, but it's probably important to note that a lot of criticism with cowen has been due to his defensive zone decision-making, not just his slowness.

When you are not 100% healthy and lack confidence, you will second-guess yourself. I believe you absolutely have to play with instinct to be successful in the NHL. Not a lot of time to think. Only elite cerebral players like Datsyuk can give you that impression.

That's my thought.

I know he has the potential to be a Pronger-(very)-lite 2nd pairing defenseman. I've seen him carry the puck up the ice with authority enough to know he can at least move and distribute the puck (and thus get 2nd assist points). He can hit and be very nasty (those stupid unwarranted suspensions really screwed him over and hurt that part of his game). And he could read the play well.....when he has confidence.

Thing with him is the confidence. Fans (and media) I think don't have patience left, so if he makes a mistake...he'll hear about it. hard to rebuild the confidence that way.

Might as well make a good deal now before we destroy him. At least we'll get something out of it, and he'll have a clean slate to rebuild his career.

Unfortunately you might be right, he has already too many doubters and haters. Canadian fans don't have a lot of patience so it would be best for him to be traded to an US team where he could be a bit of an underdog and finally shine when he is ready to do it. I'd ask for a trade if I was him.

Looks planted to me.

3.7 this season, 4.5 next.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Looks planted to me.

If he's actually been hampered by injuries that may have been resolved? Any GM with a need that is doing his job.

If the injury excuse is actually legitimate and Cowen is traded before he gets a chance to redefine his value, he can be had for a bargain.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As a Senators fan, I hope Cowen heals and plays well for the team; however, my expectations are low because of what I have seen him do on the ice, starting back in Junior.

I think his weaknesses are his slow skating, lack of agility, slow first three steps acceleration, and poor puck handling skills, which means he must play a defensive contain style and positioning game instead of being aggressive. He is third pairing material now with some potential upside.

Trading him is ok with me but the return is the issue. Senators defence needs improvement as we have only one true first pairing D man and one true second pairing D man. All others are at third pairing level at this time, including Ceci who I believe has the most potential to rise.

The team definitely needs another first or second pairing D man. Dustin Byfuglien would be nice to add but would demand a high price. I would trade Cowen plus a good prospect and/or high pick for him. Chiasson, Smith, Puempel, Prince would be options to go.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Probably re-aggravated it. Hockey players are proud and want to play. What impresses me is you rarely see a player show their pain, but that's probably just because of drugs lol

If you guys want to read a bit about painkillers :

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2011/09/06/does-the-nhl-have-a-painkiller-problem

Also another article related to Mike Richards (didn't read it but seemed to be relevant)

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...andards-mike-richards-nhl-oxycontin-oxycodone

hahaha

Which is still very likely

When you are not 100% healthy and lack confidence, you will second-guess yourself. I believe you absolutely have to play with instinct to be successful in the NHL. Not a lot of time to think. Only elite cerebral players like Datsyuk can give you that impression.

Unfortunately you might be right, he has already too many doubters and haters. Canadian fans don't have a lot of patience so it would be best for him to be traded to an US team where he could be a bit of an underdog and finally shine when he is ready to do it. I'd ask for a trade if I was him.

3.7 this season, 4.5 next.

Having known a few NHL players we have no idea the difficulties they face as they approach the end of their careers & the injuries that retire with them. Having had several knee operations myself I know the pain they endure & more pain is in the future when eventually they will have to have their knee replaced. Some injuries never go away but are masked with pain killers & some people live with pain killers for the rest of their lives just to be able to get out of bed every day. I kind of feel for Phillips right now because of his enduring back pain, it sucks when you can't do simple things because the pain is too great. In the end you really have to ask yourself if it is worth all the pain & suffering professional athlete have to deal with.

If he's actually been hampered by injuries that may have been resolved? Any GM with a need that is doing his job.

If the injury excuse is actually legitimate and Cowen is traded before he gets a chance to redefine his value, he can be had for a bargain.

IMO he will be given at least half a season to prove himself this yr & with Phillips out indefinitely Ottawa won't be trading Cowen any time soon since he is still somewhat serviceable. But if it does happen & they intend to trade Cowen, I would have to think that he would be part of a package that will return a 2nd pairing left shot defenceman. Ottawa does not have an experienced 2nd pairing left shot defenceman in the organization today who could move in there & do the job required. They do have several left shot defencemen who could be good players some day but all are young & inexperienced at this time, it would be too big a risk. I hope he does have a bounce back season & really plays well they need his size, his grit & his toughness IMO.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I know lots of people who have ruined their bodies working everyday, everyman jobs - so yes the money is worth it. My back is screwed up now and forever and I'm not sitting on millions. Hell, you can screw yourself physically just playing amateur sports. Not to sound callous - but no, I don't feel bad for Phillips and his back pain any more than I do for the lady in the bank AT WORK with so much strapped to her wrists and arms that she looks like robocop from the elbow down. Or the desk jockeys who all have bad backs by the time they retire, or the dude in the warehouse with the braces... work ruins many of us.

So yes - it's worth it. There's a substantial reward for it. And we don't get to choose work with no lifelong pain b/c sometimes that just happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad