Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Something Happened!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's better at the point on the 1st unit powerplay than Letang is, yet he is on the 2nd powerplay unit with Kuhnhackl as one of the guys on that 2nd unit. You want to capitalize on the man advantage and we're wasting the best shot on the blueline, with our cast of misfits on the 2nd unit.

That isn't misused to you?

Common dude... you're better than that. :shakehead

Kuhnhackl has seen a grande total of 2:23 of PP minutes... or 0:15 a game. The 2nd PP that you're bitching about... usually seems to be some variation of Rust, Sheary, Guentzel and Maatta and Letang or Schultz. Kuhnhackl is NEVER a regular there. Go look at the minutes. This isn't a rotating cast of players just being tossed in... You have 10 players with 11+ minutes so far this year, and then none with more than 3:10 minutes or who averaged more than 22 seconds a game this year. The only tweener who might have fit in the middle of that gap was Wilson who saw 1:42 in 3 games (0:34 a game) - and he's no longer a Penguin.

As for Schultz... it's an opinion. And certainly not one I'd be freaking out about with regards to his contract or how he's used. We had to sign him, and the contract he got is extremely fair - even when he won't hit 50+ points next season. Right now he's on pace for 27. A little low, but I said that he wasn't likely to hit 40-45 points next season with Letang coming back, and that even when he didn't, he's still worth his contract.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Common dude... you're better than that. :shakehead

Kuhnhackl has seen a grande total of 2:23 of PP minutes... or 0:15 a game. The 2nd PP that you're *****ing about... usually seems to be some variation of Rust, Sheary, Guentzel and Maatta and Letang or Schultz. Kuhnhackl is NEVER a regular there. Go look at the minutes. This isn't a rotating cast of players just being tossed in... You have 10 players with 11+ minutes so far this year, and then none with more than 3:10 minutes or who averaged more than 22 seconds a game this year. The only tweener who might have fit in the middle of that gap was Wilson who saw 1:42 in 3 games (0:34 a game) - and he's no longer a Penguin.

Yeah, I know, but still, Schultz is still miscast on that 2nd powerplay unit. At times he is out there on the 1st unit, but definitely not often enough. It's a pass parade when we have Letang on there and even when he shoots, he doesn't seem to grasp the concept of shooting when players haven't set up in front of him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, I know, but still, Schultz is still miscast on that 2nd powerplay unit. At times he is out there on the 1st unit, but definitely not often enough. It's a pass parade when we have Letang on there and even when he shoots, he doesn't seem to grasp the concept of shooting when players haven't set up in front of him.

Letang isn't the only one guilty of that - and more importantly he's not even the worse offender. And while I suppose one could argue that Schultz gets the shooting mentality in motion by taking those shots that Letang frequently passes up on... I don't think it's enough to start bitching about their usage or contracts.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The rationale is that Niemi is an automatic loss. So they conceded the game they were more likely to lose anyway. That's the rationale. They won't tell the media that, for obvious reasons.

Zatkoff is an actual goalie, so the team would probably use him like a regular backup.

The worst part is that there is a huge majority that is 100% ok with that ,that it's perfectly fine because as long as they got 2pts before, losing 2pts is just perfectly fine in a situation the team might not win.

They might also lose to a team they thought they might win against, but throwing a struggling goalie to a hot team when they have a goalie that is on track against a team struggling, is a dick move.

Major dick move.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think at this point, the team should just send Niemi down to the AHL. If he plays well, he will be back up once his confidence is back, if he plays terrible there as well, well then the writing should be on the wall for Niemi even for himself to just ask to be let out of his contract and retire.

I would rather see DeSmith given a shot and Jarry, if the games are going to be basically a loss anyway in the minds of the coaching staff, why not use it to give some rookies valuable experience.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd hate to see the rookies getting shelled though.

It would be great if Niemi or someone got a chance in a game where they weren't under severe pressure from the opposition's attack.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

It would be great if Niemi or someone got a chance in a game where they weren't under severe pressure from the opposition's attack.

That's my concern too and why I think we'll keep Niemi up until mid season or so. Keep Jarry down while the big club sorts its own issues out and bring him up later in the season.

Reactions: Peat

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

They could be less inclined to let the rookies get shelled. Maybe.

I think they're reaching the point where they've got to do something about the backup situation. Jarry, DeSmith, trade or bite the bullet and put Niemi in for an easy game where the Pens aren't tired. It just can't be automatic to lose at least one game of every back to back or not have something more figured out in case Murray gets hurt.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pens were to put Niemi on waivers i think their is actually a decent chance Vegas would pick him up.

I was looking at some rental goalies who could be available at the deadline this year, their are actually a few decent ones.

Halak
Ward
Bernier
Johnson

If none of the young guys work out i think you will see one of those guys on the pens at the deadline.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really thought Niemi could be a decent signing for a backup role. Man was I far off the mark on that one.

But again, it's kind of tough to tell exactly how awful he is and how much is the team more or less completely failing to show up every time he's gotten the start. Of course, both play into each other. It's difficult to focus as a player if you know that your goaltender is a huge meltdown waiting to happen. But between the mind-numbingly stupid and lazy penalties, the braindead decisions with the puck and the fact that some pretty important players have evidently decided the season hasn't actually started for them, yet... I just can't in good conscience lay all the blame at the admittedly cooked-looking goaltender's feet.

One way or the other, something has to give on that situation. They can't just keep simply conceding games before they even start.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The worst part is that there is a huge majority that is 100% ok with that ,that it's perfectly fine because as long as they got 2pts before, losing 2pts is just perfectly fine in a situation the team might not win.

They might also lose to a team they thought they might win against, but throwing a struggling goalie to a hot team when they have a goalie that is on track against a team struggling, is a dick move.

Major dick move.

Welcome to the world of being an NHL backup. Sullivan needs to ensure that he's protecting Murray, and part of that is ensuring it's not him playing against a hot team with a tired team in front of him and thus Murray getting shelled. Does it suck for Niemi? Absolutely. But that is just part of the game. Cherry did a segment on this a few years ago explaining why some goalies get these match up's, and it's probably just as true today as it was 40 years ago.

What's even worse, is none of our upcoming back to backs are easy games. MIN/WPG, WSH/NSH, BOS/TB. At least in Dec there's a BUF/BUF one and a DET/NYR one in Jan. But Niemi is going to see some good teams... and he's going to have to play a lot better... as is the team in front of him long before he gets those easy games.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I really thought Niemi could be a decent signing for a backup role. Man was I far off the mark on that one.

But again, it's kind of tough to tell exactly how awful he is and how much is the team more or less completely failing to show up every time he's gotten the start.
Of course, both play into each other. It's difficult to focus as a player if you know that your goaltender is a huge meltdown waiting to happen. But between the mind-numbingly stupid and lazy penalties, the braindead decisions with the puck and the fact that some pretty important players have evidently decided the season hasn't actually started for them, yet... I just can't in good conscience lay all the blame at the admittedly cooked-looking goaltender's feet.

One way or the other, something has to give on that situation. They can't just keep simply conceding games before they even start.

So did I. But like you said... it's hard to say exactly how terrible he's been... since no one has been good in those games.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They could be less inclined to let the rookies get shelled. Maybe.

I think they're reaching the point where they've got to do something about the backup situation. Jarry, DeSmith, trade or bite the bullet and put Niemi in for an easy game where the Pens aren't tired. It just can't be automatic to lose at least one game of every back to back or not have something more figured out in case Murray gets hurt.

That sounds like the triumph of hope over experience if I've ever heard it :D

I'd like something to be done. I'm not terribly optimistic about it happening just yet though. Hopefully the answer is the team playing some hockey in both back to back games...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That sounds like the triumph of hope over experience if I've ever heard it :D

I'd like something to be done. I'm not terribly optimistic about it happening just yet though. Hopefully the answer is the team playing some hockey in both back to back games...

:laugh: they felt bad for zatkoff once and played a great defensive game in front of him.

Reactions: Peat

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Anyone mildly tempted to pick up Fehr on waivers? Would make for an interesting fight for the bottom 2 center spots.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Fehr as 4C would be better than McKegg/Rowney. But yeah that ship has sailed. I actually liked that Fehr/Kunitz/(can't remember) line. They had a couple good games with Fehr playing center. Then Fehr was traded. :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I liked Fehr to be honest and I think he would be solid depth
But I just don't think that Sully likes his game and can keep up with the style of play that is wanted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad