The Runner's Thread

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
I've never really loved running, I find it hard to go long distances without getting bored. To stay motivated over the past few years I've signed up to run in the Rugged Maniac, which is one of those mud runs that they run locally. After my third one last fall I decided to sign up for Tough Mudder this year and that's about 2 months away. It kept me motivated and on the treadmill all winter.

Earlier this week I was pretty happy to put in 7.25 miles over a 60 minute treadmill session. I'm anxious for the warm weather so I can run out on the road instead.

I just bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna 4's off their website (currently on clearance) and I'm really happy with them so far.

Other than signing up for a race to motivate you, I'd recommend listening to music while running to help keep you going.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So far this week I've run 1.5 miles - not all at once mind you. Yeah I know that's not much, but it's the most I've ran since Junior High Cross-Country. My first goal is to get up to the 3 miles (5k) distance in a week (three sessions)

I'm getting mild discomfort in my legs at night though, while in bed (hours after running). I wouldn't call them cramps, but there's a definite mild pain (about a 2-3 on a scale of 10) I is this common for new runners?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
So far this week I've run 1.5 miles - not all at once mind you. Yeah I know that's not much, but it's the most I've ran since Junior High Cross-Country. My first goal is to get up to the 3 miles (5k) distance in a week (three sessions)

I'm getting mild discomfort in my legs at night though, while in bed (hours after running). I wouldn't call them cramps, but there's a definite mild pain (about a 2-3 on a scale of 10) I is this common for new runners?

Hmm, hard to say. What sort of pain and what areas? Not the regular sort of muscular stiffness/soreness?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hmm, hard to say. What sort of pain and what areas? Not the regular sort of muscular stiffness/soreness?

Mostly in the quads & hamstrings, and a bit less in the calves. Its definitely not stiffness or DOMS. I've spent a few hours reading this morning, and it sounds like it might possibly be restless legs. Might head over to the doctor this afternoon and get my iron & magnesium levels checked, just to be safe.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Mostly in the quads & hamstrings, and a bit less in the calves. Its definitely not stiffness or DOMS. I've spent a few hours reading this morning, and it sounds like it might possibly be restless legs. Might head over to the doctor this afternoon and get my iron & magnesium levels checked, just to be safe.

Ah yep could be. I take a magnesium supplement, actually one of my marathon coaches recommended something called 'Natural Calm'. Not sure if it will help you, but check with the doc. I think it helps me sleep a little better.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What is up with those '5 finger shoes'?
vibram-five-fingers-shoes.png

Does anyone here actually wear them? I've been seeing them at the gym for almost three years now and every time I ask someone why they wear them they say it's supposedly better for you - but don't know why...

Does anyone here actually wear them, and how do you find them/what are the benefits?

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site

Does anyone here actually wear them? I've been seeing them at the gym for almost three years now and every time I ask someone why they wear them they say it's supposedly better for you - but don't know why...

Does anyone here actually wear them, and how do you find them/what are the benefits?

I have a pair of Vibram's. The whole idea behind these minimalist shoes (as I understand it anyway) is that they allow your feet the ability to move, bend, and hit the pavement the way that your feet would have back before shoes. By doing that, you build up the support muscles in your feet and legs differently than you would if you were wearing a normal running shoe.

I don't wear them often, and usually my calves get really tight after wearing them on a run. I've worn them in mud runs, and they have advantages there, (toes can grip balance beam, more traction climbing over wall).

Overall, I don't think I'd buy them again. I really like the concept, but i never wore them enough to fully adjust to them.

In the attached photo, I'm the one on the right, and I'm wearing a pair of Vibram's, my friend is wearing a pair of Skelatoes. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Attachments

• RM.jpg
    RM.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 30

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY

Are you stretching before and after? I do quads, hamstrings, calves, groin, and shoulder/chest before and after. I know there's no scientific studies that are pro/con stretching, but if something hurts and stretching helps, you may be a stretcher.

Also, the most important thing in running is equipment, ie: shoes. You may want to get a fitting if you're serious about this. You may be overpronating putting more stress on your knees/shins which results in soreness and eventually injury.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Age - 33
What I Run - Long distance (5k, 10k, Half-Marathon)
How Often - Every other day
PRs - 23:45 (5k), 49:32 (10k), 1:52:42 (Half)
Why I Run - Because I can.

Jolli

Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!
Nov 15, 2010
Helsinki
I haven't been able to run for a few years now. I can cycle just fine, but running is big no-no. For some reason my shins hurt like hell whenever I try to run. Well, right now I could maybe jog for a week or so, but after that my shins are simply gonna be locked up.

Playing ice hockey is impossible for me. Just standing out there on the ice is killing my shins.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Are you stretching before and after? I do quads, hamstrings, calves, groin, and shoulder/chest before and after. I know there's no scientific studies that are pro/con stretching, but if something hurts and stretching helps, you may be a stretcher.

Also, the most important thing in running is equipment, ie: shoes. You may want to get a fitting if you're serious about this. You may be overpronating putting more stress on your knees/shins which results in soreness and eventually injury.

Not before, but I do warm up with a 5-10 minute walk, and I do stretch after.

Did pop into the doctor's office yesterday - first question he asked was "when was the last time you ate meat" and since i answered "at lunchtime" he figures its not iron deficiency but a combination of being new-ish to the exercise and possibly dehydration. He also stated that a magnesium citrate supplement wouldn't hurt and the worst thing that would happen is I waste $10 on a bottle of usless pills.

Took the magnesium with dinner, and didn't have the pains last night. Also drank more water. Success!

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Stated running again three years ago, as I'm getting older. I generally run 2-3 times a week, for 8-12k, depending on how I feel. My neighbourhood is hilly, lots to see, lots f green space, many good routes.

It's an easy sport, don't need special gear, don't need other people, just run when you find time. I really like the meditative aspects of it. It's peaceful.

I ran the Harry Rosen 8k in TO this morning, and finished at a respectable 38:50.9, 26/93 in my age group (45-49). For a slacker like me, that's rich. It's a 1:09 improvement for when I first ran that race, two years go

When I started running again, I could do 3k which left me just bushed. And then bit by bit I added a block. It's good feeling, getting better.

TheOtherScott

Apr 1, 2012
The Hammer
Age - 29 (30 this August)
What I Run - Long distance (5k+)
How Often - Three times per week is the goal, usually late evenings (8-9pm)
PRs - 1:36 (10 miles), 2:05 (half-marathon), 3:20 (Around the Bay 30k). Hoping for a sub-22 minute 5k this fall. Likely never doing the full marathon, unless it's for charity.
Why I Run - It makes me feel comfortable in my own skin. Plus I just had a kid, and I'd like her to always have a healthy Daddy.

In terms of shoes? I love the Merrell barefoot shoes, but also have a pair of screaming orange Asics for long runs and races.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Long distance running is addictive, and it never is too late. Ran my first marathon at age 54 after 18 months of training. 4:20. Was pretty ticked at myself because I knew I could do much better. Ran my 2nd marathon 3 weeks later 3:53, elated that I broke 4hrs.

I used Asics Nimbus. Stopped running now but still like to read about others experiences.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I used to love long distance running before I started playing football. The problem is you can't participate in long-distance running when you're supposed to bulk in the off-season.

TheOtherScott

Apr 1, 2012
The Hammer
I used to love long distance running before I started playing football. The problem is you can't participate in long-distance running when you're supposed to bulk in the off-season.

I forget his name, but wasn't there a former NFL linebacker who basically ended his career by falling in love with long distance running?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
vibram-five-fingers-shoes.png

Supposedly they were created to strengthen your foot, ankles, calves, etc
I use these to run in
running group i run with weekly

Last edited:

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
I love longish (5-8K) running as well, but I prefer treadmills (unless I'm in a scenic area); less stress on the joints compared to uneven cement surfaces.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Can't stand treadmills.

So damn boring, and I'm not the one to watch a movie/tv, or get lost in my music while running.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
All my life I hated running. I hated cardio pretty much in general... I was one of those guys who assumed lifting weights was enough to stay in shape, plus I played hockey.

Anyways, back in January, I could not run more than 30 seconds MAX without being out of breath. I was really out of shape, always sweating and uncomfortable. Always out of breath.

When I'd go to the gym and try cycling or elliptical, I could go for about 30 minutes before really feeling anything, but running for a minute would make me winded. So I decided to get back in shape by running. This was January 12th.

I started with small intervals of run-walk-run-walk and slowly the runs go shorter and the runs got longer. About 5 weeks later I ran a full 30 minutes nonstop and hit 5k at around 29m15s. Two weeks after that I hit 5k after 27m6s.

Now I'm working my way up to a full 60 minutes of running (and 10k in about 57m20s). My best so far was 45 minutes, but I think I can do more. I am back to doing run-walk intervals, with long intervals of 10-20 minutes separated by 1 minute walking intervals.

Since January 12th I went from around 210 lbs to 186 lbs as of yesterday.

I'm also completely hooked on running.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I bought the exact pair in the link, and I ended up not being a fan. I stepped on an acorn while running in them, on a concrete path, and I flopped like a Sedin in a playoff game. Unreal pain. It's probably been a year+ since I've worn them last, but since buying them I've really focused on running for distance, which never involves me running on a trail.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
All my life I hated running. I hated cardio pretty much in general... I was one of those guys who assumed lifting weights was enough to stay in shape, plus I played hockey.

Anyways, back in January, I could not run more than 30 seconds MAX without being out of breath. I was really out of shape, always sweating and uncomfortable. Always out of breath.

When I'd go to the gym and try cycling or elliptical, I could go for about 30 minutes before really feeling anything, but running for a minute would make me winded. So I decided to get back in shape by running. This was January 12th.

I started with small intervals of run-walk-run-walk and slowly the runs go shorter and the runs got longer. About 5 weeks later I ran a full 30 minutes nonstop and hit 5k at around 29m15s. Two weeks after that I hit 5k after 27m6s.

Now I'm working my way up to a full 60 minutes of running (and 10k in about 57m20s). My best so far was 45 minutes, but I think I can do more. I am back to doing run-walk intervals, with long intervals of 10-20 minutes separated by 1 minute walking intervals.

Since January 12th I went from around 210 lbs to 186 lbs as of yesterday.

I'm also completely hooked on running.

24 lbs in 3 months, that's awesome man!

I never found something that would pull the extra weight off better than running. That's just me.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Any suggestions for a running app for Android?

I don't take my phone with me on runs, so things like GPS tracking and a pedometer are useless for me. I just want an app that will track whatever information I enter into it, like speed, distance, time, etc...

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Had District prelims yesterday. Ran a 51.9 for my 400, ended up in a tie for 3rd place overall, so I qualified for Finals. The wind was absolutely insane though, a good 15-20 mph against us on the first straightaway. Gusty, too.

Finals will be interesting. There's a tier of 4 of us (the two who beat me, myself, and the one I tied with) who had a good second over everyone else, but I know a few in the slower pack can run faster. Have to finish top 4 to qualify for Area, hoping to do so tomorrow.

4x400 is gonna be badddddd :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad