The Runner's Thread

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
That app looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Any advice for someone who doesn't currently run, but wants to start?
<----(that guy)

What's your current fitness level? If you're a couch potato, the couch to 5k program should be a pretty good starting point. Even if you aren't a complete couch potato, but still feel like a 5k is too much at the moment, you can jump in at a later stage in the program.

Also, get a proper dedicated pair of running shoes. It doesn't have to be a 200 dollar pair. Go to a running or sporting goods store and get a 50 dollar pair. As long as they fit you well, they should good for starters, you can always upgrade later if you stick with running. But there's just nothing worse than having 200 dollars sitting in the closet, almost unused. And get a shirt of some kind of synthetic material, cotton is horrible to run in.

The first few weeks are probably going to suck. You are going to get DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) the first few times, and you'll likely be walking like an old man with arthritis the next morning. But it will pass when your body gets used to it. Greg LeMond once said that it never gets easier, you just go faster. That isn't completely true, if you learn to enjoy running, it's so much easier. And when you get to the speeds, where you really feel like you are moving, is one of the most awesome feelings I know.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Right now i've been running in the Saucony Kinvara 4s. I've been running in them for a month or two. I did get my stride analyzed but didn't overly feel confident in the guys assessment and the shoes he suggested just weren't overly comfortable. My friend suggested I go to New Balance as he got great service and was impressed with them. Before really paying attention to my strike, I knew I was a serious heel striker as near the beginning of my run I'd get a huge burning/stinging sensation in my shin's like shin splits, i'd try to run it off and it would gradually go away after a bit but continues to flair up during the course of my run. I've also noticed after I started doing long runs that I tend to pronate?

New Balance is amazing. I have three pairs of their RC 1400s, probably the best non-racing shoe I've ever worn. Would definitely recommend those above any other shoe for any kind of running (or even walking) you're doing.

So I always struggle to find motivation to run. I don't hate it, but I also don't really enjoy it which makes getting up early a chore.

Today I ran (heh) across this kickstarter that might change all that. Interesting (albeit not entirely unique) concept to give yourself some extra motivation. It's in kickstarted phase now, but hopefully won't be too long before being a full app.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...eal-world-territory-control-gam?ref=discovery

This actually looks really, really cool.

<----(that guy)

Push through it. The first week, maybe two, will be absolutely awful, but once you just past that and build up a bit of stamina, you'll be fine. Keep pushing yourself - don't run the same pace everyday. If you're training, you should be sweating and out of breath when you get back from a run. It really depends on what you're trying to get out it, though.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

<----(that guy)

Push through it. The first week, maybe two, will be absolutely awful, but once you just past that and build up a bit of stamina, you'll be fine. Keep pushing yourself - don't run the same pace everyday. If you're training, you should be sweating and out of breath when you get back from a run. It really depends on what you're trying to get out it, though.

LT is right. The first couple of weeks are going to be brutal. Push harder and you're going to get going quite well.

You may also try varying your route slightly every day, as long as you follow the same distance or further as you keep going. Keep things interesting.

If you have a park nearby that you can run through without having to cross streets, I highly recommend that to start, so you don't have an excuse to stop in the middle (such as waiting for traffic).

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am a plodder. 12-13 min miles. I do the occasional 5k. Did the Country Music 1/2 marathon years ago. Thinking about doing another someday. Love my Sauconys. I usually get the same type each time. I do get shin splints the first couple of weeks after a layoff but it gets better as I keep going.

Couch to 5k programs are terrific and there are apps etc that you can use that tell you when you walk and run, even uses music you have downloaded. There also may be running groups in your area you can join.

I have a Nike+ to track mileage etc when I am running outside.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

<----(that guy)

If you're not shy, I'd recommend finding a Running Room and joining a running clinic. They offer 12-18 week programs, like 'Learn to Run', and '5k' and '10k' etc, all the way to half and full marathons. The goal of most clinics is just to complete the distance, so it's not as if you will be pressured to run quickly. You'll find a lot of people are just starting out like you.

They're not expensive, maybe $50 - $60 to join, but that small monetary commitment and the presence of an instructor and new peers, helps keep you motivated.

I've had friends...heavier, couch potato friends, go from one program to another, starting from learn to run, then going to 5k, 10k, and then doing their first half marathon program, within a year and a half or so. If you're reasonably fit already and have no injuries or joint problems, you can expect to accelerate that.

But just take your time. One of the best things about running is that it's a very personal sport. You're only competing against yourself. You improve at your own pace, and if you put in the time I guarantee (barring injury) you'll see improvement.

As someone else said, invest in a good pair of shoes. You should get your gait analyzed to see if you're an over-pronator, under-pronator, or neutral...that is, how much your ankles 'roll'..or buckle inwards or outwards, when you step, and see if you need any extra support. (most people over-pronate or are neutral). A pair of shoes with too much support around the ankle or too little, can be awful. Don't just buy a pair that looks nice. Buy the ugliest pair of shoes if they provide the right amount of support and don't pinch in areas. Pinching may be a slight annoyance during walking or standing, that you might be willing to overlook at first...but trust me, that can develop into foot fatigue or worse, blisters over longer distances.

I myself buy my running shoes a half-size larger than my dress shoes in order to allow for more room in the toe box to avoid pinching issues.

Umm..have fun? Run with a friend. Peers are great motivators. And when you start to feel more confident, sign up for a race. A local 5k charity run or something, and tell your friends, family, and co-workers that you're going to do it. They'll keep you honest. :)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So last summer when I ran fairly regularly, I'd run in the 3-4 mile range and average 10ish minutes a mile.

I want to improve both my time per mile as well as my distance capability. Is it easier to do one first? Or mix a bit of both?

It felt as if I ran faster I'd have to stop sooner so is be losing distance, but if I ran longer I'd need to go slower so I was losing time.

Should I be getting up to a certain distance (say 3 miles) and then trying to speed up while staying there, then up my distance after a while again, lose some of the speed and then once I'm at the new distance (say 5 miles) regain the speed? Or should I try and keep my speed up and gradually increase distance? Or do both in smaller amounts?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
So last summer when I ran fairly regularly, I'd run in the 3-4 mile range and average 10ish minutes a mile.

I want to improve both my time per mile as well as my distance capability. Is it easier to do one first? Or mix a bit of both?

It felt as if I ran faster I'd have to stop sooner so is be losing distance, but if I ran longer I'd need to go slower so I was losing time.

Should I be getting up to a certain distance (say 3 miles) and then trying to speed up while staying there, then up my distance after a while again, lose some of the speed and then once I'm at the new distance (say 5 miles) regain the speed? Or should I try and keep my speed up and gradually increase distance? Or do both in smaller amounts?

Hmm, I'd say mix of both? Let's say you run 4 or 5 days a week. For one of those days, do a shorter distance, but make it hills or intervals (that his higher speed runs followed by walks). So your interval day might be only 2 miles. But you'd go hard for 1 minute, walk 1 minute, hard for another, etc. For another day, add a mile, but take it a slightly slower pace. For your other two runs during the week, do the same as you've always done.

So maybe something like:

Monday: rest
Tuesday: 3-4 mile run at regular pace
Wednesday: speed work - 2 miles of interval training or hills
Thursday: 3-4 mile run at regular pace
Friday: rest
Saturday: 3 mile run at regular pace
Sunday: 5-6 mile run at a 11-12 minute pace

Note that I'm not a trainer or anything. But the above is similar to the training I would do to prepare for a race (just the distances and paces are different from mine).

I found I only really started to get faster when I started to work in intervals into my weekly runs.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Thanks guys, just did my first go-round at the Couch to 5K program. Did 2 minutes run, 1 minute walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill (too much snow here to run outside yet)

That last few minutes was murder, but I'm sure it'll get easier. Feels good though.

Will definitely look into better shoes than the ones I have.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
When the stupid snow goes away, I plan to get back into running.

I can pretty easily run 5k in sub-30 minutes. I would like to train for a 10k though, perhaps more if I find that I enjoy it.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Thanks guys, just did my first go-round at the Couch to 5K program. Did 2 minutes run, 1 minute walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill (too much snow here to run outside yet)

That last few minutes was murder, but I'm sure it'll get easier. Feels good though.

Will definitely look into better shoes than the ones I have.

Congrats for jumping in! I think you might be surprised how quickly you'll improve in the first month or so. :)

I'd argue we're all animals - made to run. We have these long legs and huge groups of strong, efficient muscles in our legs for a reason. We're not terribly far removed from primitive humans who ran incidental marathons regularly, for hunting, gathering, and basic survival. Heck there are still tribes out there that do this. Anyways, I digress...

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I ran a 5k (last spring I believe) and really enjoyed it. My time was just around 32 minutes (not bad for a 1st and limited training). I would like to do it again and keep training up for marathons and such, but with Baseball and Dek Hockey, as well as I don't do track for my school it would be a pain in the ass. I am a slower sprinter (not terrible), but I cant hang with most.

Kinda nooby question, but how long is cross country? I don't even know if my school has it.

Is this a new sub-forum? Or have I just missed it all this time?

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think I'm going to go for my first run of the year soon, maybe tomorrow. The weather's starting to look nice.

I'm not a crazy runner by all means, but I like to go a couple times a week.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
I've ran a couple of times for very short distances during the last 10 years or so. Hopefully will manage to run more than 200 meters some day again.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I would like to join a floor hockey league this summer so I can get some interval running in ;)

Doing that and running several times a week should hopefully help me progress nicely.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Oh actually I have a question.

Not necessarily immediately after, but a few hours after a run and then the day after too, I find that my shoulder blades are extremely tense. I'm not sure if this is because of the way I run (in which case I don't even notice if I run tense), or if it's a case of not stretching enough afterwards, but does anyone else experience this? Any recommendations?

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Not necessarily immediately after, but a few hours after a run and then the day after too, I find that my shoulder blades are extremely tense. I'm not sure if this is because of the way I run (in which case I don't even notice if I run tense), or if it's a case of not stretching enough afterwards, but does anyone else experience this? Any recommendations?

I'm not an expert, but it could easily occur because you may not run very often, or insufficient stretching.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA

I'd say if it's your shoulder blades hurting, you're running with your shoulders rounded to the front of your body. Try running with your shoulders back and your chest out.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Have put in some good mileage this week with how amazing the weather has been. About 10 miles on Monday, and another 8 or 9 yesterday. Haven't been running at the pace I'd like to, because I'm running with a friend and she is slower than me... but hard to complain too much as at least it is someone who can go longer distances with me.

As for shoes, I'm a big fan of anything from Brooks. Right now I'm rotating their Glycerin 11 and Launch, and also have a pair of their Ghost 6 but pretty much beat this into the ground last year so don't run in those these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad