The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I get it, it’s not perfect and does have risks attached. But again, these guys are always POTENTIALLY available for a reason.

If Cirelli was playing fully to the capabilities they expected from him, their posters wouldn’t be saying it’s a possibility.

We need a matchup center; Cirelli has no trade protection, is signed long term and has experience we’re looking for at a great age for our core.

Yes there’s risks, but ones I’m absolutely willing to take if he’s available. If we trade a prospect it can be replaced with the 11th. If we trade the 11th our cupboard is still very deep.

Not saying this is you specifically because we know who the main culprit is but I’m so sick of the bullshit about how we need to hold our picks and prospects unless the perfect trade comes along because our cap situation in 2029 will be disrupted. f***ing enough. Sometimes good is good enough.
If TB would indeed move him for #11 (or better still one of our group of prospects who are closer to the league) i think you have to do it. Hell - I'd even add Jokiharju if they wanted a young D back in the deal. I'm just not willing to part with what i perceive as core pieces for him. Which ended up being the story of the trade thread.

The other thing is that his contract IS a little pricey for what he brings. But i think you can still make it work...

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If a player like Cirelli is available, you try really hard to get him, especially for Buffalo, where we now have two centers that have had blurry seasons, where there is no 3C and in general there are no experienced guys like Cirelli on the team who have already won a bowl and not in the last role for his team, while he is still in his prime and will be an important link for the team.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
If TB would indeed move him for #11 (or better still one of our group of prospects who are closer to the league) i think you have to do it. Hell - I'd even add Jokiharju if they wanted a young D back in the deal. I'm just not willing to part with what i perceive as core pieces for him. Which ended up being the story of the trade thread.

The other thing is that his contract IS a little pricey for what he brings. But i think you can still make it work...
I definitely think we’d have to part with players on roster but it certainly won’t be Power. Byram I doubt it. They can’t afford it and the value difference is obviously not there with Power

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If that recent trade thread you & i were posting in was any indicator - it seems that they were not interested in anything that wasn't a proven top 4 D.

Of course it doesn't really matter what fans think - but i can easily see them insisting on keeping their window open for as long as they think they can without even a 're-tool'.
Right, Byram came up. I wasn't willing unless Cernak was also in it. So perhaps an impasse.

Still, *something* is going to happen in Tampa, and I'm interested to see what.

Maybe Tampa fans have changed their minds though, because all I see in every thread is Tampa posters saying 'trade Cirelli'

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Again, people are thinking that Cirelli is Point 2.0 and he's not even close. He's a decent to good player on a good team but he's not some type of superstar. Definitely not worth the insane packages I'm seeing on here. And he's expensive.
Well, we can offer the Cirelli contract to Elias Lindholm, will he agree? Not sure if there are other similar and high-quality options?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Again, people are thinking that Cirelli is Point 2.0 and he's not even close. He's a decent to good player on a good team but he's not some type of superstar. Definitely not worth the insane packages I'm seeing on here. And he's expensive.
huh? Nobody is talking about Cirelli like he’s Point. In fact everyone in this thread is saying his bread is buttered away from the puck lol

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He doesn't score a ton, his metrics aren't that good, he's not big, and he doesn't hit. What am I missing?
People just want Mitts back lol.

His metrics are fine, not amazing. Chain doesn't want him for basically the reasons you listed, plus the contract, if memory serves. He has had some amazing playoff runs, and is still pretty young on a log term contract (A contract that looks like the one Adams didn't want to give Mitts, so I'm wondering why folks think he'll want Cirelli). And he eats a ton of center minutes on a legendary team. That's prob why people want him.

Personally, I'd like him on the roster, but there are a lot of guys I'd be happy with there that aren't paid so much.

Reactions: Dingo44

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
He doesn't score a ton, his metrics aren't that good, he's not big, and he doesn't hit. What am I missing?
I've always viewed him as Nick Bonino Jr

Great player to have on a cheaper contract as your 3C. Paying him 6.25M for another 7 years is a different story. I think Tampa really screwed up giving him & Cernak long term deals like that. Gonna put them in a bad spot cap wise. You can find similar level players in trade or FA for much cheaper.

Reactions: Dingo44

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I've always viewed him as Nick Bonino Jr

Great player to have on a cheaper contract as your 3C. Paying him 6.25M for another 7 years is a different story. I think Tampa really screwed up giving him & Cernak long term deals like that. Gonna put them in a bad spot cap wise. You can find similar level players in trade or FA for much cheaper.
Sometimes I question that Sergachev deal too.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I would think Cernak would have to be included in order to get the 11th OA ..

Cirelli + Cernak

11th OA + Joker + Rosen

I think Rosen is probably too good of a prospect to add to this deal but maybe we have to add some extra juice in order to get them to trade within division.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think I would take Cirelli. I just don't think I would take Cirelli for 11OA.
It’s hard to make these kinds of choices without knowing the full range of options Adams has. We all want some more physicality with our new C that we bring in, but how many have that? And will the few that do exist be available to Buffalo?

I know I’m the only one who thinks this and it sounds crazy but I’d honestly rather have Sturm for one year at $2m and kick the can on the 3C than go all-in on Cirelli. Sturm is just as physical and competitive, and similar in more regards than most people believe. Then we see what we have in Krebs while looking for a long term guy for that role who can add more jam than either of them.

Again, I realize this is a horribly unpopular opinion but it is my preferred route this offseason. It also gives us a safety valve in case Bryam or Krebs go nuts and we need the cap space.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It’s hard to make these kinds of choices without knowing the full range of options Adams has. We all want some more physicality with our new C that we bring in, but how many have that? And will the few that do exist be available to Buffalo?

I know I’m the only one who thinks this and it sounds crazy but I’d honestly rather have Sturm for one year at $2m and kick the can on the 3C than go all-in on Cirelli. Sturm is just as physical and competitive, and similar in more regards than most people believe. Then we see what we have in Krebs while looking for a long term guy for that role who can add more jam than either of them.

Again, I realize this is a horribly unpopular opinion but it is my preferred route this offseason. It also gives us a safety valve in case Bryam or Krebs go nuts and we need the cap space.
Sturm is far from physical. I'm anti - Cirelli due to contract and acquisition cost but there is no way Sturm is comparable, outside of PK he's tiers below in impact and productivity

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

My issue with this kind of move is more a feeling than anything logical. Signing stopgaps to "kick the can" feels terrible after this team has seemingly done that a lot for the last couple years. I want to see us sign meaningful impact players with term to get the team in the playoffs. Not stopgaps where we will be trying to solve the same issues again in 12 months.

Again, I realize this is more a feeling than anything logical. I just hate the idea of kicking any more cans down any more roads. I'd prefer Cirelli, depending on acquisition cost of course.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Sturm is far from physical. I'm anti - Cirelli due to contract and acquisition cost but there is no way Sturm is comparable, outside of PK he's tiers below in impact and productivity
See, when I watch Sturm, I see someone who is more physical than any forwards currently on the Sabres except for Greenway and Cozens. He is also extremely competitive and works hard on the ice.

I also see Cirelli as being less physical than Sturm. He does bring more offense than Sturm, but not as good at PK or faceoffs, and he wouldn’t get enough ice time to justify the cost. He’s really not the role we need, and he costs too much for said role. Sturm fits the role and cost almost perfectly.

Again, I don’t expect anyone to agree but I want to push back against the idea that Sturm is less physical than Cirelli and less physical than most Sabres forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad