The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Today's decision gives me hope for this off-season.
I feel like it’s a big maybe. On one hand…if nearly your whole roster underperforms and you don’t want to change the roster much…you have to change the coach. On the other…any coach worth anything is going to want to change the makeup of this team.

So it depends on who the coach is. Will an experienced coach put up with this bottom six in style if not actual players? No. But another first time coach probably will.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Need to find that bottom six forward with speed and a little scoring touch. A better Eric Robinson...

Some guys:
Trenin
AJ Greer
Duhaime
Fischer
Blueger
Dakota Joshua
Will Carrier

Take your pick of your top 2 and go get them on a 2-4 years deal. Some guys will cost more, but we need to replace Jost/Victor with these types of guys who bring momentum and snarl with the occasional goal

EDIT: Personally, I'd love Carrier and Trenin. They are legit 3rd line options

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Need to find that bottom six forward with speed and a little scoring touch. A better Eric Robinson...

Some guys:
Trenin
AJ Greer
Duhaime
Fischer
Blueger
Dakota Joshua
Will Carrier

Take your pick of your top 2 and go get them on a 2-4 years deal. Some guys will cost more, but we need to replace Jost/Victor with these types of guys who bring momentum and snarl with the occasional goal

EDIT: Personally, I'd love Carrier and Trenin. They are legit 3rd line options

Agreed. And now that the no-hit coach is gone, they could really use that identity. Having a line that just goes out for the first five minutes of the game with the role to just forecheck and pound the other team would draw the fans into every home game.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Agreed. And now that the no-hit coach is gone, they could really use that identity. Having a line that just goes out for the first five minutes of the game with the role to just forecheck and pound the other team would draw the fans into every home game.
I felt consistently that the young guys felt they needed to stand up for themselves if an opposing player picked on them. Thinking of Cozens/Benson/Dahlin trying to carry some of that stick work and edge. You need a guy or two that can address on behalf of our young guys. Big hits, fights, etc. But it needs to happen.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I’m curious if they expect Levi to be the 1B next year or want to see him as the AHL workhorse

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I felt consistently that the young guys felt they needed to stand up for themselves if an opposing player picked on them. Thinking of Cozens/Benson/Dahlin trying to carry some of that stick work and edge. You need a guy or two that can address on behalf of our young guys. Big hits, fights, etc. But it needs to happen.

Also having a team full of guys like that rather than just one or two, having more people that are contact driven as part of their DNA is the easiest way to engage the fans and have the team involved in the game from the drop of the puck. If your first Shift involves rattling the boards and getting the fans out of their seats, that stuff is infectious. Why do I say that? Because we’ve seen it. We’ve seen it in Buffalo. We see it in Florida right now and in Tampa and in Vegas. Teams that play a physically demanding style Tend to have crowds that are engaged and the rest of the team follows.

I love your list. Carrier and Joshua are kind of my two that I’m thinking about the most as of today. Duhaime and Blake Coleman are two others.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Also having a team full of guys like that rather than just one or two, having more people that are contact driven as part of their DNA is the easiest way to engage the fans and have the team involved in the game from the drop of the puck. If your first Shift involves rattling the boards and getting the fans out of their seats, that stuff is infectious. Why do I say that? Because we’ve seen it. We’ve seen it in Buffalo. We see it in Florida right now and in Tampa and in Vegas. Teams that play a physically demanding style Tend to have crowds that are engaged and the rest of the team follows.

I love your list. Carrier and Joshua are kind of my two that I’m thinking about the most as of today. Duhaime and Blake Coleman are two others.
Coleman is another good one. I tried to keep it to guys below 30 as these deals are likely 3-4 years in length, but Coleman on a 2 year deal would be a solid target.

I know you are a Tampa area guy as am I, I remember what a motivated Blake Coleman did for Tampa a few years ago before his big deal

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

I have expressed my displeasure in them not assigning Clague or Jost.

I didn't expect Jost to be assigned. Clague I wasn't sure. Clague wasn't very good.

If I was GM I would let the pending free agents decide if they want to stay or not. Wouldn't want them for the playoff run if they weren't interested in staying.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Coleman is another good one. I tried to keep it to guys below 30 as these deals are likely 3-4 years in length, but Coleman on a 2 year deal would be a solid target.

I know you are a Tampa area guy as am I, I remember what a motivated Blake Coleman did for Tampa a few years ago before his big deal

Imitate what the good teams do - look at the skill dirtbags on Tampa, Florida, Boston. Hell Ottawa is trying to get more greasy too. And it impresses me that those teams can bring in guys from the scrap heap to have fit that Buffalo just does not do (getting around what the criticism is here to any non-name move).

Clifford figured himself out in December, possibly because they stopped playing him on his offhand side with the corpse of Erik Johnson. They need more of his style and less ice capades since this is still a physical sport played by adults instead of children.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I didn't expect Jost to be assigned. Clague I wasn't sure. Clague wasn't very good.

If I was GM I would let the pending free agents decide if they want to stay or not. Wouldn't want them for the playoff run if they weren't interested in staying.

If they were on the clear Day roster, send them down to make an impression in the AHL playoffs. It was two guys are playing for contracts and if they decided they’re too big or too good to go put in the work, that’s gonna reflect badly on them. Just in particular is hanging on in this league by an absolute thread. Go down, produce, get a one-way contract for next year. They think that they can rest or are too good for that league? that’s bullshit. Do what’s best for the organization instead of just thinking of them. They’re not that good at this tier to be able to pick and choose when and where they play.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Post of the week.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

This might just be revisiting the Tanev stuff, but specifically mentioned that they tried to get a player at the deadline and the NTC was invoked.

(towards the end specifically)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Needs:
an experienced coach
defensive center
another sammy-type d that's a right shot
a 4th line energy guy who can throw fists
a tender for roch

one of the top 6 d from their 1st pick