The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Oh see…I come from the perspective of where I said these moves weren’t it and Adams hadn’t done enough during the last two offseasons as they were happening. It’s why everyone hates me and blocks me and attacks me for negativity.

So on days like today when people look back at how things were they can see I was the one who said them…and I get to continue from my position of having been correct in my opinion from the start.

These moves weren’t enough. As I said then. And I say now. And here we exist.

You get attacked (moreso continuously) because you ignore when you get called out on your shit when wrong. And you have been wrong numerous times, but I don’t have receipts to prove that. So please don’t requote me and say show those, because I don’t have those on a spreadsheet.

I don’t mind that you’re contrarian to the opinion on things here. I think you put thought in to your posts (outside of any GDT posts), so I’d never block you. Or really anyone. I have noticed you get called out a lot, and ignore when your opinion is wrong but acknowledge when it’s right. So you come across as kind of smarmy, even if you’re not that way IRL.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Oh see…I come from the perspective of where I said these moves weren’t it and Adams hadn’t done enough during the last two offseasons as they were happening. It’s why everyone hates me and blocks me and attacks me for negativity.

So on days like today when people look back at how things were they can see I was the one who said them…and I get to continue from my position of having been correct in my opinion from the start.

Eh maybe it wasn't the specific players but the loser country club atmosphere in KBC. We all do understand that the team underperformed and those 2 players were certainly upgrades to the lineup

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Nobody “attacked” you for your opinions on the Sabres moves not being enough. Maybe some people disagreed with you (that’s not attacking you).

The times people attacked you, were when you decided to posts insults without any substance attached to it towards the team.

You often times, especially in game threads, posted nothing but negative comments and didn’t help further progress the discussion, and when people called you out on those comments, you never backed up your words and just continued on. You were infamous for posting negative comments about management, and it wasn’t just comments on the quality of said moves.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Taking a hard stance against upper management on a message board and hoping it invokes change and all the while lining your cap with feathers about a mediocre team that many pegged for a one and done playoff birth at best is an interesting hill to crucify yourself on as the know it all of the board....

I've never blocked any of yall so keep posting! I also never claim to be individually able to solve a professional sports team's issues (unless you count me telling you all bringing Marcus Foligno back will solve eveeything....I stand by that)

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I think Skinner is done is a sabres uniform. Would love to see someone like Necas or Ehlers replace him but its probably gonna cost Ostlund, Kulich or Rosen to start and they will probably want a roster player back. Could see Samuelsson going the other way.

No idea really just think Skinner is done here and Buffalo brings in a top 6 to replace him.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I think Skinner is done is a sabres uniform. Would love to see someone like Necas or Ehlers replace him but its probably gonna cost Ostlund, Kulich or Rosen to start and they will probably want a roster player back. Could see Samuelsson going the other way.

No idea really just think Skinner is done here and Buffalo brings in a top 6 to replace him.
I can't see a fit for him anywhere else. However, the idea of seeing Skinner in a Leafs sweater would be a gift that keeps on giving.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I can't see a fit for him anywhere else. However, the idea of seeing Skinner in a Leafs sweater would be a gift that keeps on giving.
I think he probably gets bought out or a huge retain. No one is taking on that contract the way it is and a buyout has a 6.4m cap hit one of the years. Not pretty

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’ve been very vocal about Cozens needing to play wing. The caveat is him staying at center and taking on the tough matchups. Based on Ruff’s comments (and Cozens’ play at the worlds), that could be in his future. I think he’d excel.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I’ve been very vocal about Cozens needing to play wing. The caveat is him staying at center and taking on the tough matchups. Based on Ruff’s comments (and Cozens’ play at the worlds), that could be in his future. I think he’d excel.

So now we need 3 Centers?

Edit. Sorry misread that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ruff is going to love Dylan Cozens - especially if we get tournament Dylan Cozens. Ruff is already talking him up.
Eh, the tourney has weaker competition than the Sabres had, and the idea that Cozens struggled outside of his concussion recovery period is overblown to begin with. Maybe just some bad luck and low confidence for a few additional weeks after getting recovering from getting his brains scrambled. He’s mostly been consistently great over the past two seasons.

I don’t question if we’re getting this version of Cozens - this is him.

Reactions: Dominance

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Eh, the tourney has weaker competition than the Sabres had, and the idea that Cozens struggled outside of his concussion recovery period is overblown to begin with. Maybe just some bad luck and low confidence for a few additional weeks after getting recovering from getting his brains scrambled. He’s mostly been consistently great over the past two seasons.

I don’t question if we’re getting this version of Cozens - this is him.

He's playing with some great players and against some great players and he's been the best player on the ice the last few games and they are playing him in all situations. I'm not saying he's going to be the leading goal scorer in the league like he is in the tournament but it's good for him and a lot of his problems last season after his fight were confidence related. You can see the fire and he wants to help the team so much that coming out of the World Championship and then a great off-season and then a training camp with Ruff can really springboard him into an even better season than 2022-23.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He's playing with some great players and against some great players and he's been the best player on the ice the last few games and they are playing him in all situations. I'm not saying he's going to be the leading goal scorer in the league like he is in the tournament but it's good for him and a lot of his problems last season after his fight were confidence related. You can see the fire and he wants to help the team so much that coming out of the World Championship and then a great off-season and then a training camp with Ruff can really springboard him into an even better season than 2022-23.
Very true. I know some are not at ease with Tage and Cozens being the primary centers on this team but I think they'll prove to be solid in those roles in the long run.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Very true. I know some are not at ease with Tage and Cozens being the primary centers on this team but I think they'll prove to be solid in those roles in the long run.
Just want to show what the top 3 Cs are for each remaining playoff team:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Mcleod

Petterson
Lindholm
Miller

Zibanejad
Tocheck
Wennberg

Johnston
Duchenne
Seguin

Barkov
Bennet
Lundell

I'd but Tage and Cozens up against any of them, except the Oilers of course. But I think Buffalo can do better than Mcleod with the extra cap space.

We just need our Miller/Trocheck/Lundell to round things out, and 2 of those players were traded for very recently. Adams really need to land a Trochek/Miller for us.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I’m not worried about a healthy Tage. The only thing that derails his play are injuries.

Cozens will get where he needs to be as well. Hopefully a better usage/focus from Ruff will speed that along.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I know Nico Sturm isn't an ideal 3C but he does check a lot of boxes of what we're looking for in a shutdown center. He's not very physical, which is a big need for us, but he wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and does all of the things that Lindy Ruff loves.

Most importantly, he's on an expiring contract on a rebuilding team, and doesn't have any trade protection. His age also puts him out of the window, so they probably won't re-sign him...especially if they can get good assets for him.

The problem is that they need young defensemen and defense prospects, which we don't exactly have in spades. Is Joki an overpay for Sturm? I suspect so. Strbak and Komerov also seem like overpays for a 29-yr old, so I'm a bit stuck on this one. Would they accept a bunch of non-1st round picks?

The problem with coming up with trade partners for the Sabres is that we only have wingers to offer for trades, and no one needs winger propsects.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I know Nico Sturm isn't an ideal 3C but he does check a lot of boxes of what we're looking for in a shutdown center. He's not very physical, which is a big need for us, but he wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and does all of the things that Lindy Ruff loves.

Most importantly, he's on an expiring contract on a rebuilding team, and doesn't have any trade protection. His age also puts him out of the window, so they probably won't re-sign him...especially if they can get good assets for him.

The problem is that they need young defensemen and defense prospects, which we don't exactly have in spades. Is Joki an overpay for Sturm? I suspect so. Strbak and Komerov also seem like overpays for a 29-yr old, so I'm a bit stuck on this one. Would they accept a bunch of non-1st round picks?

The problem with coming up with trade partners for the Sabres is that we only have wingers to offer for trades, and no one needs winger propsects.

San Jose needs some of everything. I would think Sturm's off-season value is probably around a 3rd round pick. He ticks some boxes, for sure. I'm not a fan of his lack of speed and his lack of physical play. They can't have more guys who are passive in the lineup IMO, though it seems to be Adams MO.

Faceoffs as a solution are going to have to come from dedication by Thompson or Cozens up the lineup IMO but that's something. (I know, I know... I'm tired of me typing this so I should probably come up with a different bit.)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
San Jose needs some of everything. I would think Sturm's off-season value is probably around a 3rd round pick. He ticks some boxes, for sure. I'm not a fan of his lack of speed and his lack of physical play. They can't have more guys who are passive in the lineup IMO, though it seems to be Adams MO.

Faceoffs as a solution are going to have to come from dedication by Thompson or Cozens up the lineup IMO but that's something. (I know, I know... I'm tired of me typing this so I should probably come up with a different bit.)
I think they'll get better at faceoffs, but probably will take another year to get there.

I only mention Strum because Adams said he's looking for a "4C who's good at faceoffs and PK," and Sturm fits that bill. I'm not worried about the speed, and not convinced Adams feels the need for players who play with an edge. He also only has one year left...just seems to have Adams written all over him.

A 3rd would be super easy, though I'm skeptical that Grier would accept such a low offer when Sturm plays such an important role insulating the young kids, and he could get more at the deadline if he waits.

Edit: I'd add that Strum might not be known as a physical presence, but he does seem to bring more of that than almost anybody currently on the Sabres, except for maybe Greenway.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

It makes no sense to buyout Skinner at this point & that is the only way he isn't on next year's roster. Even buying him out next offseason is ugly - but IIRC it's palatable compared to doing it this year.

I hope Lindy can work with him, as he's clearly capable of being a very productive (if flawed) player.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
It makes no sense to buyout Skinner at this point & that is the only way he isn't on next year's roster. Even buying him out next offseason is ugly - but IIRC it's palatable compared to doing it this year.

I hope Lindy can work with him, as he's clearly capable of being a very productive (if flawed) player.
We will see but I don't think Lindy wants him here. He is the opposite player Lindy likes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad