May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Brady isn't Matthew...

1715358891358.png

Reactions: TommyDangles

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Eh, if you don't give him trade protection you can always trade him.
Agreed.........but who would want to spend $4M annually for a guy that actively hurts a PK and who is at best a "break in case of emergency" PP guy. $4M annually for a guy who is basically 5v5 only? Can't imagine that he'll have a big market if signed to a $4M AAV.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Agreed.........but who would want to spend $4M annually for a guy that actively hurts a PK and who is at best a "break in case of emergency" PP guy. $4M annually for a guy who is basically 5v5 only? Can't imagine that he'll have a big market if signed to a $4M AAV.
RHD are super rare, and so many teams are on the hunt for one all the time. He's also young enough so that teams might think they can help the player pull a Hronek. I certainly don't love the prices, but it doesn't scare me into trading him.

That said, I'd sell him to the highest bidder, whatever the return, if we get a good RHD off the UFA market to replace him. Which is what I'm hoping for.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
UPL: 4 x $5.2M
Jokiharju: 3 x $4M
Krebs: 2 x $1.76M
Bryson: 1 x $1.17M

Can't argue with those numbers.

I mean, you can.

UPL is fine.

I think Joker is gone, but if he stays that is about right.

I'm offering Krebs his QO, and if he doesn't want that he's on the market. No arb rights, mediocre production. I don't think anyone is going to offersheet him.

Bryson's QO is 1.9M this year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You said he wasn't an offense-only winger...when he is. So there's that.

You don't have to be "known" as a defensive player to not be an offensive only player. He isn't Pstrick Kane or Jeff Skinner who cheats defensively in order to get his offense. Tkachuk wins board battles both sides of the ice, hits and adds toughness. If you think Brady is only good at potting goals than you don't know what kind of player he is.

Like the vast majority of NHL players Brady is not "great" defensively but his issues being "bad" defensively are being widely blown out of proportion by silly JFresh charts.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
RHD are super rare, and so many teams are on the hunt for one all the time. He's also young enough so that teams might think they can help the player pull a Hronek. I certainly don't love the prices, but it doesn't scare me into trading him.

That said, I'd sell him to the highest bidder, whatever the return, if we get a good RHD off the UFA market to replace him. Which is what I'm hoping for.

Just piggybacking off of this, with no real direct reply I suppose:

But god, how dumb was the Byram trade? We could throw some good $$$ at a UFA RHD like Roy or DeMelo or Pesce or even a guy like Dillon and then run with:

Sammy-Dahlin
Power-UFA RHD
Johnson-Clifton
X: Someone

But instead we've gotta shoehorn Byram in somehow and I think by doing that, Adams isn't going to look at the UFA market for anything but a #7 guy.....assuming he doesn't just re-up Bryson for that role

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
But seeing this, I'd rather a draft pick of any sort than to sign Joker to a 3x4.
10000%

But god, how dumb was the Byram trade? We could throw some good $$$ at a UFA RHD like Roy or DeMelo or Pesce or even a guy like Dillon and then run with:

Sammy-Dahlin
Power-UFA RHD
Johnson-Clifton

But instead we've gotta shoehorn Byram in somehow and I think by doing that, Adams isn't going to look at the UFA market for anything but a #7 guy.....assuming he doesn't just re-up Bryson for that role
Trading Power as part of a big deal for an elite forward (if such a move is to be had) can solve this problem.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I mean, you can.

UPL is fine.

I think Joker is gone, but if he stays that is about right.

I'm offering Krebs his QO, and if he doesn't want that he's on the market. No arb rights, mediocre production. I don't think anyone is going to offersheet him.

Bryson's QO is 1.9M this year.
I don’t see how you’re really disagreeing with the numbers. Just stating QO number for Bryson doesn’t tell us anything about his value, which is what the quoted numbers are doing. At least that’s what I thought.

Aren’t those numbers just giving a player value on the market, using other comparable contracts as a basis? I feel like they do pretty well in that regard.

Sammy-Dahlin
Power-UFA RHD
Johnson-Clifton

It’s so weird. It makes you wonder if he plans on flipping Byram, or putting Power or Sammy on the market. I doubt it, but there’s not a lot of logic behind that acquisition otherwise

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You don't have to be "known" as a defensive player to not be an offensive only player. He isn't Pstrick Kane or Jeff Skinner who cheats defensively in order to get his offense. Tkachuk wins board battles both sides of the ice, hits and adds toughness. If you think Brady is only good at potting goals than you don't know what kind of player he is.

Like the vast majority of NHL players Brady is not "great" defensively but his issues being "bad" defensively are being widely blown out of proportion by silly JFresh charts.
The point remains, Buffalo needs players who are actually good at keeping the puck out of the net, and Brady doesn't help there, especially relative to the cap space he takes up. The discussion around him as something this team needs remains to be silly. Horribly poor use of cap space and assets at this time.

If Buffalo wants someone who wins board battles and adds toughness, you can do that for a third of the cost of Brady, and probably a 5th of the assets.

Reactions: Diaspora

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The point remains, Buffalo needs players who are actually good at keeping the puck out of the net, and Brady doesn't help there, especially relative to the cap space he takes up. The discussion around him as something this team needs remains to be silly. Horribly poor use of cap space and assets at this time.

If Buffalo wants someone who wins board battles and adds toughness, you can do that for a third of the cost of Brady, and probably a 5th of the assets.

Lol.. not in your top 6 ..

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
General question I've been debating myself on:

If the Sabres acquired Chandler Stephenson, do you build a Greenway - Stephenson - Tuch third line and let them be the heavies, or do you spread them out? I see pros and cons for each and curious what others think.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
General question I've been debating myself on:

If the Sabres acquired Chandler Stephenson, do you build a Greenway - Stephenson - Tuch third line and let them be the heavies, or do you spread them out? I see pros and cons for each and curious what others think.
With Lindy, I think you'd see different looks for different situations. But it's hard o come up with lines when we don't have the Girgs/Okposo/Oloffsson/Jost replacements yet. CS would be one of them in your scenario, but the others are still TBD.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Sammy-Dahlin
Power-UFA RHD
Johnson-Clifton

The off-season check list could have been very straight forward and simple. Sign/trade for a steady vet RHD, acquire some 4th line beef, recline in the easy chair. Instead, there's no real apparent coherent plan for the D-corps and there's FW holes to fill that will be either too expensive to fill or just not possible to fix in one summer. I can't face palm this situation enough. Even a solid HC like Ruff can only do so much with a weak center spine.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The off-season check list could have been very straight forward and simple. Sign/trade for a steady vet RHD, acquire some 4th line beef, recline in the easy chair. Instead, there's no real apparent coherent plan for the D-corps and there's FW holes to fill that will be either too expensive to fill or just not possible to fix in one summer. I can't face palm this situation enough. Even a solid HC like Ruff can only do so much with a weak center spine.
All of those things can be accomplished, kinda odd to throw in the towel on May 10 when nothing can happen yet.

Power-Dahlin
Byram- Steady vet to compliment Bo
Sammy-Clifton (thats where Sammy should be 3rd pair/PK EJ role imo until he proves to stay healthy, easier mins.)

Reactions: Dingo44

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
10000%

Trading Power as part of a big deal for an elite forward (if such a move is to be had) can solve this problem.
Almost all elite forwards have no trade clauses and would sooner accept a move to the KHL than Buffalo. A Power trade would net us a forward that would essentially be paying Manhattan prices for Staten Island real estate.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Almost all elite forwards have no trade clauses and would sooner accept a move to the KHL than Buffalo. A Power trade would net us a forward that would essentially be paying Manhattan prices for Staten Island real estate.
That's why I said "if such a deal is to be had". Yeah it's probably only in La La Land, but guys become available all the time unexpectedly.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Sammy-Dahlin
Power-UFA RHD
Johnson-Clifton

The hockey media not raking Adams over the coals for making such a self evidently awful and stupid move is yet another example of how it's such absolute dogshit.

• Wow
Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad