The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nearly everyone's available for a price. Just depends what we are willing to part with. It may be that we decide not to pay the price but Adams should make the call to Columbus. Jarmo is gone now. Maybe something has changed.

It's that the owner really loves Jenner and JD has said they want to keep someone around in a leadership role - that's Jenner.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Before I even contemplate your "what if" John, we really need to talk about how one of these things is very much not like the others

Marner is UFA in a year, I don’t see how Adams does it, unless by some miracle Skinner is also included in the deal and it will cost us Krebs and the first, which seems impossible.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't want to put my foot in front of the cart here, but has anyone seen Marner in the playoffs? Neither have the Leafs. He hasn't been a great performer in the playoffs throughout his career

1714043775249.png

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

Before I even contemplate your "what if" John, we really need to talk about how one of these things is very much not like the others

Not to mention Marner has a full NMC next year, and then he’s a UFA. I doubt he waives unless the Leafs are out of the playoffs somehow and it’s a deadline deal.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Overall, the first real big decision is skinner.

I don't Ruff is going to do well with his low effort style and long dry stretches.

He's likely already lost his top line spot to Peterka. We can still feed him high o-zone starts, I don't think we have the kind of 3rd line makeup that will allow him to thrive down the lineup.

If we can find a trade for him at 50%, let's do it. If not...the first buyout window is June 15th.

If Adams is serious about winning now...Skinner being gone by any means is the first step.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Overall, the first real big decision is skinner.

I don't Ruff is going to do well with his low effort style and long dry stretches.

He's likely already lost his top line spot to Peterka. We can still feed him high o-zone starts, I don't think we have the kind of 3rd line makeup that will allow him to thrive down the lineup.

If we can find a trade for him at 50%, let's do it. If not...the first buyout window is June 15th.

If Adams is serious about winning now...Skinner being gone by any means is the first step.
I wonder if they try and give it one season under Ruff to see how it works and buying him out next offseason if it doesn't.

:dunno:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I wonder if they try and give it one season under Ruff to see how it works and buying him out next offseason if it doesn't.

Also might depend on if Ruff wants to coach Skinner.

But I'd like to see a season of Skinner under Ruff. I'm sure they will be talking this summer. Let's see how receptive Jeff is to what Ruff is telling him (as if he has a choice if he wants to play).

Reactions: Jim Bob

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Listening to Lindy's interview, he mentions four dangerous lines. Thinking back to 05-06, when he coached another very young team scattered with vets- I vaguely remember young players scattered across all 4 lines.

He also mentioned players making themselves uncomfortable. For example, if someone struggles blocking shots or playing defense- he wants those players to shift out of their comfort zone, start doing those things, and become a better player.

So, in my mind, he's going to want all four lines being at least adequate defensively. I dont think we'll see another Skinner-Thompson-Tuch esque line. It's more likely he'll put his version of Grier and Hecht on scoring lines. Didn't Grier play with Drury and Hecht with Briere in 05-06?

I'm actually getting excited for next season. I believe Lindy is going to want a couple of role players added, and his lineup choices should be intriguing.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Eh. I guess I don't see the reason why. Ruff loves versatile forwards who he can use in multiple situations, Skinner is as one dimensional as they come.

He's has a history of putting young players who aren't great at defense in a good positions to score while bringing that side of their game along (the RAV line, Jack Hughes, Seguin in Dallas)...but typically he wants players to be teachable. He ran out of patience with Afinogenov eventually.

How much patience is he going to have with a 1000 game vet whose utility is a 20 ft radius of the net and terrible everywhere else and doesn't seem interested in improving any part of his game.

But I'd like to see a season of Skinner under Ruff. I'm sure they will be talking this summer. Let's see how receptive Jeff is to what Ruff is telling him (as if he has a choice if he wants to play).

Look, if Skinner is willing to be a more versatile player and work within Ruffs system, I'm happy to keep him around. But....he hasn't shown that kind of flexibility or maturity in the past.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Jamie Benn to BUF [E2]

Eh. I guess I don't see the reason why. Ruff loves versatile forwards who he can use in multiple situations, Skinner is as one dimensional as they come.

He's has a history of putting young players who aren't great at defense in a good positions to score while bringing that side of their game along (the RAV line, Jack Hughes, Seguin in Dallas)...but typically he wants players to be teachable. He ran out of patience with Afinogenov eventually.

How much patience is he going to have with a 1000 game vet whose utility is a 20 ft radius of the net and terrible everywhere else and doesn't seem interested in improving any part of his game.
I will believe that they will buy him out when it actually happens, though.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Lindy could successfully arrange a tragic accident for Skinner, what cap implications would that have?

So, in situations were teams just outright terminate contracts for 'cause' (like Mike Richards, Corey Perry), the NHL typically allows teams to and then it goes to arbitration.

It's less than a buyout but they don't get a get out of jail free card either.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
So, in situations were teams just outright terminate contracts for 'cause' (like Mike Richards, Corey Perry), the NHL typically allows teams to and then it goes to arbitration.

It's less than a buyout but they don't get a get out of jail free card either.
What if the cause is death

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is a 4th - Marner leans into a strength in small offensive wingers but doesn't help with any weaknesses while soaking up cap to use on those problem locations.
Marner would be the best defensive forward in their top 6. So, it would help add a 200 foot game that they are looking for in the top 6.

But, like so many ideas that people will throw out there, it isn't happening.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Marner would be the best defensive forward in their top 6. So, it would help add a 200 foot game that they are looking for in the top 6.

You're paying for a lot more than defense though. We can find a defensive winger for far less, since we don't need him to drive offensive play like Marner does (in the regulars season)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

And making what, $12+M on his next deal? C'mon.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad