The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
For a change of scenery-type trade, does Krebs for Dellandrea make sense to anyone? Similar defensive impacts it seems, and Dellandrea is bigger and apparently is good on the dot? No idea if the value is right.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I recall Montour splitting time between D, the press box and 4th line forward. May have played into him not playing up to his potential here. I wouldn't pay him that much but what choice does Florida have??
Florida has Benning eventually in the wings, maybe they get D'Angelo or someone of that ilk on the cheap for 2 years. They can attract whatever they want and Montour and his agent should know they have a sweet deal.

Reactions: KeepKane

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They have to make moves if they want to resign Montour and/or Reinhart. Sounds so weird typing that but I looked up projections for those two and it's like 9-9.5 for Reinhart and 7-8 per yr for Montour. Levi and a 3rd round prospect to show for it is kind of disheartening.

We also received a first which turned into Kulich. Montour was also a tire fire here. If someone pays 7-8 for him, they will regret it

Yeah, Montour this year is not the same as last year's one-hit wonder. If someone pays for last year, they're going to regret it.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Move him to 2c and solve all your aforementioned issues.
That's where he has looked comfortable?

I think there's value in Krebs but probably a few years away when he can develop into a true middle 6er.

He's not tough enough to be a grinder and not smart enough to be a skill player. He doesn't make enough space to use his passing abilities or to get his weak shot off.

Dude should have been living in front of the net the past 2 years hoping to keep an NHL job. And posters are tagging him for another contract for very little contribution. What's the hook?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
To me this screams Skinner or Tuch are gone
I take a lot of rumors with a grain of salt. I've heard enough players/ GMs wonder where a lot of these 'rumor' originate from, and I believe it's a symptom of society needing news fast and the media needing to generate clicks.

That being said, I've been saying we should look into trading Tuch for a ransom for a while as I believe his season two years ago was a fluke. But...it was a whole bunch of hyperbole from me throughout the season as I'd watch him make the dumbest plays imaginable with the puck.

Now that I'm not knee deep in my feelings- it'd be dumb to trade a winger like him on the deal he's on. The players have come out and said Granato didn't have a system to fall back on, so that can explain some of low IQ plays from him. I think we'd regret sending him elsewhere. He'd likely tear it up in an actual NHL system with a coach who can get 110 out of his team. Also, he had a nice playoff run with Vegas. I'm intrigued to see what he'd do for us if was ever make the playoffs.

Let's see how this year goes. If they fall flat on their face again, then major moves like Tuch being traded can be looked into.

Reactions: Meichel Kane

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
1. Buyout Skinner

2. Hire Gallant/Berube/Bodreau/Ruff. Doesn't matter, a coach that has some clout and enough cohones to sit one of our young "stars." A powerplay with Dahlin and Thompson should be top 5 in the league. All of these coaches will know how to not screw that up. Keep all young guys in AHL to start. Let them earn a call-up and force their way into top 9.

3. re-sign Girgs 1x 1.5
move Joker for best offer-->assets +Rosen-->Colton

4. Sign Marchessault 5 x 6.5
Sign Carrier 3 x 2.5
Sign Zadorov 2x 2.75
sign Cousins 1.4

When you sign contracted players you are blocking the younger players
Marchessault is a significant anchor at the end of that contract given his age. his poition will block someone.

buying skinner out created a big cap hit penalty in 2026/27. buying him ou in 2026 summer lowers it.

Jokiharju+ Rosen >>>>>>Colton

For a change of scenery-type trade, does Krebs for Dellandrea make sense to anyone? Similar defensive impacts it seems, and Dellandrea is bigger and apparently is good on the dot? No idea if the value is right.
I dont know enough about. i dont have an issue in trading Krebs.
Will be the same if someone pays Reinhart for this fluke year. He's a steady 25+g winger that had a horseshoe up his keister with all those PP goals this year. I doubt he can replicate it

this year for Reinhart i think is a bit of an outlier in terms of goals.

players who get low 30s can have a higher goal season 1-2 times in their career where they may be close to 45-50. This can be attributed to them scoring the goals vs assisting

What jumps out is a 10+ increase in PP g (but PP points is similar) and the added 5 or so SH goals he put up

Him being paid as a ppg player can be close to fair but I think it depends on where he plays because on some teams he might not regress to just being a 60 pt player

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Thinking about Skinner buyout: the year 25-26 is when we may face a cap crunch with raises to Quinn, Peterka, Byram due.

So if you buy him out now, Skinner’s deal will cost 4.4M that year. Buy him out next summer, it’s actually 6M.

So buying him out now as opposed to waiting a year, it saves us 1.6M in that very important summer.

The trade-off is the following year, he’d be 6M compared to 2M.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Buying out Skinner makes so much sense the more I stew on it. It opens up another offensive spot as well rather than trying to shoe horn someone like Kulich or similar in a role that should most likely go to somebody with more jam

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I will say if you can trade Skinner at 50% it’s much preferable to a buyout now.

If you compare buyout now vs 50% trade
- Year 1: 4.5 M AAV vs 1.4M AAV
- Year 2: 4.5M AAV vs 4.4M AAV
- Year 3: 4.5M AAV vs 6.4M AAV
- Year 4-6: 0M AAV vs 2.4M AAV

So basically the only cap advantage is this year, when we have plenty of space. 2nd year is a wash. 3rd year the trade saves us 2M in comparison, and 4-6 a buyout is obviously dead cap.

skinner might not have significant negative value at 4.5M either. If you can move him with, say a couple of 2nds, it’s easily worth the benefit.

It might not be possible with the NMC of course but clearly a trade is preferable here.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
When playing around with offseason ideas for our defense, I find Byram to ruin a lot of it.

We traded for him to solidify our top-4, but we kinda still need a top 4 D? We still haven’t figured out Owen Powers partner.

I’m assuming our D spine looks like this

Bryam - Dahlin
Power - x (Joki for now)
Samuelsson - Clifton

But man, that’s one expensive D corps if we go out and spend money on a partner for Power as well. If it’s still Joki, that’s a bit underwhelming. He was fine for a lot of the year, but still seems to crumble in big games + doesn’t add any of that physicality that Adams said we needed.

I did somewhat feel the same way about Greenway last year though, and he ended up being a pleasant surprise this year.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
When playing around with offseason ideas for our defense, I find Byram to ruin a lot of it.

We traded for him to solidify our top-4, but we kinda still need a top 4 D? We still haven’t figured out Owen Powers partner.

Bryam - Dahlin
Power - x (Joki for now)
Samuelsson - Clifton

But man, that’s one expensive D corps if we go out and spend money on a partner for Power as well. If it’s still Joki, that’s a bit underwhelming. He was fine for a lot of the year, but still seems to crumble in big games + doesn’t add any of that physicality that Adams said we needed.

I did somewhat feel the same way about Greenway last year though, and he ended up being a pleasant surprise this year.
You don't think Sammy will play in the top 4?

E: or CAN play in the top 4

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Bryam - Dahlin
Power - x (Joki for now)
Samuelsson - Clifton

Dahlin
Power
Byram
Samuelsson
Clifton
Johnson

That's one of the better top six in the league with the potential to be elite. Novikov, Komarov, Strbak, and McCarthy are all really good prospects too. I think they could retain Joki but I think they're better off trading his rights (youngish RD's are always in demand) for forward help and then signing a decent but not crazy expensive vet for depth and then let Novikov be the first call up.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
You don't think Sammy will play in the top 4?

E: or CAN play in the top 4
I think he’s best suited as a third pairing guy. Our top three is pretty solidly

Dahlin
Power
Byram

Samuelsson had a rough year. Honestly wasn’t great last year either. I don’t know why people think he’s a lock for a top 4 spot. He shouldn’t be.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Skinner after been asked to wave NMC-
200.webp

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Dahlin
Power
Byram
Samuelsson
Clifton
Johnson

That's one of the better top six in the league with the potential to be elite. Novikov, Komarov, Strbak, and McCarthy are all really good prospects too. I think they could retain Joki but I think they're better off trading his rights (youngish RD's are always in demand) for forward help and then signing a decent but not crazy expensive vet for depth and then let Novikov be the first call up.
I don’t disagree that there’s a lot of potential there. A lot of it will depend on Byram to take a leap. If you view it through the lens that he will - then yes it’s a fantastic top 6.

If he struggles, then we still need a top 4 defenseman, and it’s somewhat difficult to find a way to do so. Mostly due to the cap already allocated there.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I don’t disagree that there’s a lot of potential there. A lot of it will depend on Byram to take a leap. If you view it through the lens that he will - then yes it’s a fantastic top 6.

If he struggles, then we still need a top 4 defenseman, and it’s somewhat difficult to find a way to do so. Mostly due to the cap already allocated there.
There is a misconception that all good teams top 4 D are actually top 4 D. There is always someone being carried in the top 4 with inflated numbers no one can really afford 4 of them. I don't think there is even enough in the league. Our D is set outside of a 5/6 addition. Sammy Johnson or Clifton will be in the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad