Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Maybe the explanation is that there is ZERO plan to play anyone they call up from the AHL, so he's a "warm body, just in case" while on the road to NJ and it doesn't hurt the Checkers, who play tomorrow night.

Given how well the Canes have been playing, I don't think anyone they called up would see the ice except in an emergency, and even then it would be minimal ice time, so it's kind of a non issue.

If Brown ends up centering the fourth line with DiGuiseppe scratched and Lindholm/Aho at wings, I'm coming with "I told you so" guns blazing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If Brown ends up centering the fourth line with DiGuiseppe scratched and Lindholm/Aho at wings, I'm coming with "I told you so" guns blazing.

:laugh: Getting my flak jacket ready. I hope you're wrong, but fear that there's a chance it may happen. Probably not the first game in NJ, but the back to back, especially if they play poorly.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Maybe the explanation is that there is ZERO plan to play anyone they call up from the AHL, so he's a "warm body, just in case" while on the road to NJ and it doesn't hurt the Checkers, who play tomorrow night.

Given how well the Canes have been playing, I don't think anyone they called up would see the ice except in an emergency, and even then it would be minimal ice time, so it's kind of a non issue.
Yeah, I look at this as a “crap, someone got food poisoning at Golden Corral. Go get em Pat.”

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Already laying the excuse foundation, nice.

:laugh: I honestly think there is no intention of playing him, just a warm body in case of emergency, but heck, Peters has been known to sit certain guys for a clunker of a game, so there are no guarantees here. If Peters does want to tinker, hopefully they send Brown back down after they return from NJ Thursday night and call someone better up.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
:laugh: I honestly think there is no intention of playing him, just a warm body in case of emergency, but heck, Peters has been known to sit certain guys for a clunker of a game, so there are no guarantees here. If Peters does want to tinker, hopefully they send Brown back down after they return from NJ Thursday night and call someone better up.

I see Josh Jooris has two assists in two games in Charlotte.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
From LeBrun's Eastern conference buyers sellers article:

Carolina Hurricanes: (Moderate) buyers
The Hurricanes have come alive with three straight wins and sit in the last wild-card spot by one point over Columbus and three above the Islanders, as of Wednesday morning. The word out of Carolina is that GM Ron Francis would be open to adding a top-6 or top-9 forward but in a hockey deal, preferably not a rental. He’s also got bottom-six checking forward Marcus Kruger for sale after he cleared waivers last week. Francis is believed to be willing to eat some of his remaining contract to get a trade done. It’s worth noting it is the first trade deadline with new owner Tom Dundon in the house. From all accounts, Dundon has been actively intrigued by all things Hurricanes since taking over. Is there added pressure on Francis to impress the new boss before the deadline?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Problem is, who can we trade in a "hockey deal" that doesn't screw something else up? I don't think Fleury or Carrick would be able to step in if Hanifin was moved and our D is finally starting to get a little more cohesiveness. I'd be hesitant of moving any of the D except Fleury or Dhalbeck right now, although it clearly depends on the deal.

At forward, maybe only Rask has some value and an ability to move? If it's picks/prospects, then that's a different story.

Weird situation as Canes haven't been even a "moderate" buyer in ages.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Call up nobody, it's proof of crazy conspiracies. Call up somebody that they almost certainly don't intend to play, especially after winning with the recent lineup, it's proof of crazy conspiracies. Never a dull moment on here.

The key phrase in your post is "almost certainly." We're still trying to sort out what goes through BP's mind when he makes some of the decisions he makes. If we could say *for certain* that Brown won't dress, then we're fine with this. But at this point, nothing BP does with his lineup would surprise us.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Probably true. I just don't see many other current NHLrs that (a) have much value or (b) wouldn't leave a pretty sizeable hole in a "hockey trade" (provided a center came back in the trade). I guess it would all depend who is coming back though.

Picks/prospects for sure, but when I hear "hockey trade", I usually think it's NHL players involved. Maybe that's a wrong interpretation on my part.

EDIT: assuming there's any validity to LeBrun's statement.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Picks/prospects for sure, but when I hear "hockey trade", I usually think it's NHL players involved. Maybe that's a wrong interpretation on my part.

Yeah, that could be correct (the interpretation), but I read it as "not a rental" more than player for player. I think this interpretation, while no more likely than yours..maybe less, would certainly open up more options.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The key phrase in your post is "almost certainly." We're still trying to sort out what goes through BP's mind when he makes some of the decisions he makes. If we could say *for certain* that Brown won't dress, then we're fine with this. But at this point, nothing BP does with his lineup would surprise us.

I figured you might key on that (though I wasn't certain). I don't think we can know anything for certain, but as far as I can remember, there's been more actual evidence that Peters likes to stay with successful lineups than the evidence there is that Peters and Francis are having a fight over Kruger and Jooris playing. But when both action and inaction somehow support the argument in some people's minds, I'm not sure I can convince someone of my point of view.

Also, I feel like a coach undermining a GM the way some of you are thinking would be much more harmful to the future of the Coach in the eyes of the GM, owner, and possibly the rest of the league. I don't see a huge upside to Peters behaving that way. So I just don't buy what you guys are selling.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I said it before, but if the Canes can't get a top 6 guy at the deadline I'd be intrigued by Patrick Maroon at the deadline as a rental if the price isn't a 1st. Seems like he can play up and down the lineup and contribute anywhere, and would also bring some sandpaper to the team. For example if we play against the Caps in the playoffs we'll actually have someone to answer to Wilson, Niskanen, & Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad