Speculation: The Roster Building Thread - To the deadline and beyond!

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
why? even notopie said this guy ain't an nhler. why not foegele or zykov?

Hey, I resemble that remark....one thing that I don't understand is that if we are "concerned" about protecting the Checkers too, I don't believe you bring up their captain....which is what Brown is....of course you also don't bring up their #1 or #2 goal scorer....or their 1st line center....Oh well, am I now arguing to not bring up any Checkers??? God help us all....

#DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

I resemble that remark too....:naughty:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If the Isles don't decide to let teams start talking to him now in order to set up a deadline sign and trade for an absolutely massive return, Garth Snow is the dumbest GM on the planet.

It's a bit of a catch 22 though.

Garth Snow let him walk for nothing - What an idiot
Garth Snow traded our best player and the face of the franchise for futures - What an idiot.

The only good outcome for Garth is re-signing Tavares. The way things are going over there, I'm not as confident that will happen as I once was, but there is still a ways to go this season.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I just don't see how NYI isn't looking at this situation in a very binary fashion:
  1. Tavares re-signs before the TDL, we are converting futures and going full-on win-now mode.
  2. Tavares won't re-sign before the TDL, we're converting everything into futures.
The roster is entirely mediocre, their prospect pool is below average, and they don't even have a "home". If they continue to limp along, they won't make the playoffs in the next 5 years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I just don't see how NYI isn't looking at this situation in a very binary fashion:
  1. Tavares re-signs before the TDL, we are converting futures and going full-on win-now mode.
  2. Tavares won't re-sign before the TDL, we're converting everything into futures.
The roster is entirely mediocre, their prospect pool is below average, and they don't even have a "home". If they continue to limp along, they won't make the playoffs in the next 5 years.

Right, that's kind of what I meant by the catch 22. If he re-signs before the deadline, it's the only real saving grace for Snow. If he sells him for futures, he'll still be blasted as people are already doing that for getting to this point in the first place. Still, clearly letting him walk for nothing is the worst case scenario.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Still, clearly letting him walk for nothing is the worst case scenario.

Yeah, and that is looking like what is going to happen. Snow is thinking this will be just like the Stamkos contract proceedings, but what he will get wrong is that the Islanders aren't in the same position with other stars that the lightning were in, they don't have the prospects to pay now for later to fix the team, and NY taxes are much higher than FL taxes making JT's take home pay much lower than Stammers.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think the only thing that saves Snow's job is re-signing JT. More accurately, losing JT would cause the firing of Snow. If the situation is unclear, I'd guess he's probably willing to sacrifice a JT TDL return on the off-chance that he has a change of heart. A situation where it seems the GMs best interest might not align with the long-term best interest of the franchise.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I think the only thing that saves Snow's job is re-signing JT. More accurately, losing JT would cause the firing of Snow.
That will only be true if ownership puts Snow in a position to sign JT and he doesn't make it happen. What matters is how ownership views the situation, and the situation isn't as opaque to them as it is to the fans. Also, over the course of negotiations with JT, they may come to find themselves quite peeved with JT, which may cause them to see Snow in an even more favorable light.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That will only be true if ownership puts Snow in a position to sign JT and he doesn't make it happen. What matters is how ownership views the situation, and the situation isn't as opaque to them as it is to the fans. Also, over the course of negotiations with JT, they may come to find themselves quite peeved with JT, which may cause them to see Snow in an even more favorable light.

I am operating under the assumption that a huge offer is already available. I suppose it's not impossible for an ownership group to let a top-10 player walk without offering a competitive deal. Jeter ousted Stanton after he had just won the MVP. I don't see the point in owning a sports franchise if you can't offer your homegrown Superstars what they need to stay.

In any case, that scenario would be good for the Canes chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->