Pre-Game Talk: The Return of Ryan Johansen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
As you all know, Joey makes his return to NWA for the first time since he was traded to Nashville. In Jones' first game in Nashville, he was mostly ignored (IIRC) (Ignored as in nobody boo'd or cheered. It was just another game), but Jones didn't have the baggage that Johansen had. So, simple question.... Does Johansen get boo'd, cheered, or ignored during the game on Sunday, and why?

WhiteWings*

Sep 1, 2016
I have no idea why he would get booed. After the trade he said only good things about the city and fans. He left a lot of good memories. The Jackets wouldn't have had Jones without Joey. I'd cheer him honestly.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Get his tribute/recognition before the game like any other notable prior player, and then ignored - the same treatment Jones got in Nashville. :nod:

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I don't think their are ill feelings, but who knows, I'm sure there will be a smattering of both.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I have no idea why he would get booed. After the trade he said only good things about the city and fans. He left a lot of good memories. The Jackets wouldn't have had Jones without Joey. I'd cheer him honestly.

Because he quit on the team repeatedly. Then him and his agent tried to hold the team hostage.

I'll be there, and I won't be cheering for the guy.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I kind of forget he existed to be honest until I saw the thread. I'd put that whole business behind me. Unlike a Nash or a Klesla, as an example, I don't really look forward to him returning or following his career. To me he's just another player around the league.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm not gonna be there, but I wouldn't stand up to give him an ovation by any means and I was a huge Johansen fan before he took off.. I won't boo him either. Probably an indifferent approach for me honestly. It's been over a year and we ended up getting Seth Jones out of the trade, so I've moved on..

I'm completely happy having Seth Jones on this team.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
To me, Joey is like Jake. I'll root for him when he doesn't play against the Jackets. Don't have any ill will against him.

Both are young and didn't request a trade. Attitude issues aside, had we not made those trades, I am sure they would still be here and contributing just fine. They also both only said good things about the city and team after getting traded.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I'll applaud if they give him a video tribute. Then I will ignore him. I don't hold ill will toward him. I put him in the category of a young and not realizing his full potential while he was here.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Ryan might have played his way out of Columbus, but there are two important points here:

1. He did not ask to be traded.
2. We got a great player in return for him.

At this point he is just another opposition player on an opposition team coming to play here.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Ryan might have played his way out of Columbus, but there are two important points here:

1. He did not ask to be traded.
2. We got a great player in return for him.

At this point he is just another opposition player on an opposition team coming to play here.

Pretty much my thoughts. I was firmly on "Team Johansen" but Jones has pretty much made post-trade revisionism a moot point.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Out of curiosity I just checked the stats of Joey & Wennberg.

Wennberg 10-36-46 +5

Joey 9-31-40 -2

and we have Seth Jones.

Would be great to have them both but I'm extremely happy with the trade.

I voted ignore.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He was and is a PUNK. He is probably my most hated Jacket of all time. Look at his stats this year--a little less than Wennberg. This from a guy who has the ability score 30 as well as have another 40 assist. What a waste he is !!! The beginning of the New Jackets team that we see now was when Jarmo dumped this brat in return for Seth Jones, one of the greatest hockey trades of all time. All that being said, I probably will not boo him, although he earned it, because he is not worth the effort it would take to boo him. So I vote, IGNORE.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
To me, Joey is like Jake. I'll root for him when he doesn't play against the Jackets. Don't have any ill will against him.

Both are young and didn't request a trade. Attitude issues aside, had we not made those trades, I am sure they would still be here and contributing just fine. They also both only said good things about the city and team after getting traded.

This is my point of view!!! Ryjo is one of the few pieces that we got equal or greater value for. Frank the bushman, Glencross, Russell, (Methot for Foligno was good), Faulk, Holden, lot of good talent that we traded for scraps

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll cheer him

it's not like he asked to be traded. Also he suddenly didn't start giving more effort when he left.

We've had a ton of guys in our past who were better players before the organization taught them how to be bad. Zherdev, Filatov, Brassard. of course I kid in that but it's the reality in our past quite a few young guys came in showed flashes early in their career and went on to be very average players (average isn't right word, more like never reached their potential).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is my point of view!!! Ryjo is one of the few pieces that we got equal or greater value for. Frank the bushman, Glencross, Russell, (Methot for Foligno was good), Faulk, Holden, lot of good talent that we traded for scraps

It runs both ways - we've got more than a few players that their former clubs probably sold too low on, i.e. they didn't realize how good they would be. Hartnell, Foligno, Gagner, Jones, Bobrovsky, Karlsson...

That and the players you listed are mostly not very good. Beauchemin and Glencross had a few great years each, I'll give you that, but it's interesting that none of the 5 would have a place on this roster today. The one that will always sting for me is Voracek.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Because he quit on the team repeatedly. Then him and his agent tried to hold the team hostage.

I'll be there, and I won't be cheering for the guy.

This. The constant loafing is something I will never forget. Thank GOD Jones gives it 100 night in night out.

Probably won't boo unless he starts shenanigans - but I definitely won't be standing up and clapping for a worthless tribute video.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Considering how well the trade has worked in our favor, I don't suppose the crowd will add salt to the wound.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Hartnell > Umberger
Clarkson > Horton (business reasons)
Karlsson > Wisnewski

For these reasons, I disagree with your "One of the few ...." comments.

Opinion limited to the Jarmo administration only**

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I voted boo because I don't think he'll get a video tribute to welcome him back, and the relationship with him and the fans really soured last year.
He was the scapegoat of the season because of the perceived lack of effort. Fans boo'd Nik Zherdev in his first game back to Columbus, and the situation is pretty similar IMO (except Joey was very complimentary of the city after being dealt).

It won't be Rick Nash or Carter style where everytime he gets the puck he's boo'd, but I bet the first few times he touches it he gets boo'd, and if he gets a point they will boo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad