The Rebuild Thread

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I'm tired to see stupid proposals about signing JT or other quick fixes and all of our problems will go away. No free agent signing will fix the Habs. MB has completely mismanaged our lineup, and now the only way forward is to rebuild. The first step in rebuilding is trading our older assets for younger ones. This summer, we need Pacioretty, Weber and Price to be traded. They could generate first round picks and/or young quality players in trades and allow us to form a new nucleus of talented players. It's going to hurt like hell, and the road is going to be long and painful, but it's the only way forward. We have nothing at the moment to build on. Galchenyuk and Drouin are decent young players to have, but they are complementary players at best. Gallagher is a force, but he is not sufficiently talented to carry this team. We have no decent center, no decent left-handed defensemen, and our prospect pool sucks (aside from the goalie position). Looking at our team, it seems like we only have left-handed wingers playing all forward positions. First step of the rebuild is obviously to replace MB. However, I am not holding my breath on this one. Molson appears to be as clueless as MB.

Please use this thread to advocate for a total rebuild, if you believe like me that it is the best solution going forward.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's not that hard...

Clean house staff-wise
Roy director of hockey ops
Lemaire adviser
Brisebois GM
Ducharme AHL head coach
Keep julien with clear development mandate (& short leash)

Pre-draft trades:
- Patches for RNH + khalifa
- Benn for 3rd or 4th
- Schlemko for 4th or 5th
- Alzner (dump to a team with a shorter contract dump & D need)
- Shaw (for anything but cap dump)

UFA signings:
1-2 vet dmen on 1-year deals, reclamation and/or late career high quality pro's
1 vet top 9 fwd (same criteria)

Price
Lingren

UFA/Mete - Weber
UFA/Mete - Petry
UFA/Valiev - Juulsen

Drouin - RNH - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galch - Byron
Hudon - Danault - Scherbak/UFA
Deslauriers - JDR - Khalifa/Rychel

During the season:
Trade Weber, Byron & all 3 UFA'S for mix of high picks & quality prospects.
(2x 1sts +)

after 18 & 19 drafts we'd have added two lottery picks + 5-7 other top-60 picks...

With that, we should be able to hit 2019-20 season with enough top 6 & top 9 talent to build with and complement what we'd keep from now (after above trades):
Top 9
Drouin, Galch, RNH, Gallagher, Danault, Lekhonen

Top 4
Petry/Mete-Juulsen (confident at least 1 of 2 will succeed as a top 4, if not both,)

Leaves us with 9 top 60 picks and
Scherbak/ikonen/poehling/vejdemo/Evans/Juulsen/Valiev/Fleury to fill out those 5 skill roster spots... 17 shots for 5 spotst, not to mention UFA signings to close out any gaps or bridges as prospects get to NHL.

A good management team could build a team ready to contend in front of Price in that 2020-2025 window... But next two summers are crucial, and Molson's already committed to waisting one... So odds are this dumpster fire will keep burning for a while before we can even think of rebuilding

Reactions: Vachon23

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Price to the Islanders, Vancouver, Carolina, Philadelphia or St Louis for the best offer. Price needs to go.
Trade a retained Weber to a team looking for a stay at home dmen, PP big shot.
Pacioretty retained at 50% for the best offer.
If you can dump Andrew Shaw somewhere you do it, even for a 4th round pick.
In those trade take a cap dump or two to meet the salary cap lower limit.
Sign a Bozak or Filppula to a 2 year deal.
Play Valiev, Rychel, Lernout, Froese, Audette.
Tank hard and trade Byron, Benn and Schlemko at the deadline.
Keep Juulsen and Mete in Laval and give them plenty of ice time in all situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Start by gutting the rotten office staff and then you can think about on ice issues. This is far deeper than a few player tweaks. It won't happen though. As the we keep proving - the we will still purchase tickets and bad beer for eternity; thus, why change anything?

Reactions: HBDay

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I'm tired of HF boards readers' pessimism. We don't need a rebuild. Our prospect pool is fine and our talent up front is quite good. We need three players to become cup contenders:

1C (Tavares, RNH, Stasny, Backes)
2C (Tavares, RNH, Stasny, Backes)
1LD

Get one by trading Pacioretty, the other via free agency and the D via free agency as well (or Dahlin). Our complimentary players like Drouin, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will thrive with real centers. Weber and Price have plenty of good years left in them.

That's it!!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm tired of HF boards readers' pessimism. We don't need a rebuild. Our prospect pool is fine and our talent up front is quite good. We need three players to become cup contenders:

1C (Tavares, RNH, Stasny, Backes)
2C (Tavares, RNH, Stasny, Backes)
1LD

Get one by trading Pacioretty, the other via free agency and the D via free agency as well (or Dahlin). Our complimentary players like Drouin, Galchenyuk and Gallagher will thrive with real centers. Weber and Price have plenty of good years left in them.

That's it!!

It's been 6 years with Bergevin and he's created holes at #2C and #1LD

And you are aware that you just listed.. two of the three most difficult things to get in the league.

Literally every team in the league is 3 major pieces away from being cup contenders, lmao.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Final home game for Tavares? 'I don't know' - Article - TSN

"Obviously, the season will end on Saturday," Tavares told reporters following practice Wednesday. "I want to go about it the right way and be the best captain I can be. When the time is right, it will all come to fruition and it will all be over at the same time. It's gotten to this point now
. I can't say how it's going to go going forward."

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Not gonna see a rebuild while we have Weber and Price.. that's the sense that every insider gives and it's what Bergevin/Molson believe.

Let me add, we are NEVER going to rebuild with freaking Alzner anchoring our top-4.

But yeah, trading Patches for a nice package I think is the most we can expect. Price and Weber aren't going to be traded and we aren't doing a full rebuild. I am not opposed at all to moving them, but we can discuss how Price is **** and Weber is **** but end of the day, they aren't moving.

Maybe (hopefully) I am wrong and there is a rebuild planned, but I'd say we are far more likely in trying to sign JT than MB coming out and saying we are rebuilding.

Let me add: I want a rebuild and think we need one. Just don't expect it to happen.

Reactions: ArsHabs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Let me add, we are NEVER going to rebuild with freaking Alzner anchoring our top-4.

But yeah, trading Patches for a nice package I think is the most we can expect. Price and Weber aren't going to be traded and we aren't doing a full rebuild. I am not opposed at all to moving them, but we can discuss how Price is **** and Weber is **** but end of the day, they aren't moving.

Maybe (hopefully) I am wrong and there is a rebuild planned, but I'd say we are far more likely in trying to sign JT than MB coming out and saying we are rebuilding.

Let me add: I want a rebuild and think we need one. Just don't expect it to happen.

Alzner in the top 4 is fine for a rebuild. You don't care about the cap in a rebuild, he's a good professional/teammate for young guys, and he helps the team be bad.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Not gonna see a rebuild while we have Weber and Price.. that's the sense that every insider gives and it's what Bergevin/Molson believe.

Right. The best we can hope for is a retool that keeps these 2 in the fold.

Pessimistic assumptions: no Dahlin, no Tavares, teams won't give their best center prospect for Max, Alzner can't be moved.

1. Sign placeholders at center. 2 of Plekanec, Derek Ryan, Nash, Beagle. Let's end the Drouin experiment now.

2. Trade Pacioretty for center prospect + 1st. Without aiming too high, let's say J.A.D. With the 1st, draft A. Thomas. Center prospects: J.A.D, Poehling, A. Thomas

3. Use their 1st to draft a defenseman, say Boqvist.

4. Trade Shaw and Byron for more 2nd round picks, 2018 or 2019.

5. Move Petry when Boqvist is ready.

In a couple seasons, something like:

Chucky J.A.D. Drouin
Lehkonen Poehling Gallagher
Hudon Danault Scherbak
Deslauriers DLR McCarron

Mete Weber
Alzner Boqvist
Reilley Juulsen

Still some holes (wing, LD), obviously, but they can be filled with the $20M + of cap space and the 7 second round picks in '18 and '19.
It also sets them up in a good draft position for the next 2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad