The Rebuild Thread

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
There is no way they INTENTIONALLY go for a rebuild...that is not saying Price doesn't get injured next year again, and we are in the running for Jack Hughes...

Saying that, in Jan 2018 John Tavares was saying he wanted to return to NYI...well yesterday he changed his tune big time when he said "It's gotten to this point now. I can't say how it's going to go going forward."...

So i expect Habs will be targeting him (Tavares), and they got his friends on the team Price and Weber and he knows Claude etc..Kovalchuk ,they go for him , and Josh Georges they probably look at him for a league minimum type contract...
The big thing is fixing up that d core....you can add firepower up front , but that D needs revamped....

Reactions: Laurentide

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Price to the Islanders, Vancouver, Carolina, Philadelphia or St Louis for the best offer. Price needs to go.
Trade a retained Weber to a team looking for a stay at home dmen, PP big shot.
Pacioretty retained at 50% for the best offer.
If you can dump Andrew Shaw somewhere you do it, even for a 4th round pick.
In those trade take a cap dump or two to meet the salary cap lower limit.
Sign a Bozak or Filppula to a 2 year deal.
Play Valiev, Rychel, Lernout, Froese, Audette.
Tank hard and trade Byron, Benn and Schlemko at the deadline.
Keep Juulsen and Mete in Laval and give them plenty of ice time in all situations.
Bozak or Filpulla???.....:laugh:

You are a worse gm than chiarelli lol

Nice try though.....some of your proposals are good, but overall, no way!!!!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Who are their non-Eichel core peices? ROR and Ristolainen?

Depends on the GM 'vision' I guess, I mean, I'm sure MB sees Alzner and Shaw as core pieces, so Botterill may well see Larsson and McCabe as core pieces too. (seems like a smart guy though, so maybe not)

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Right. The best we can hope for is a retool that keeps these 2 in the fold.

Pessimistic assumptions: no Dahlin, no Tavares, teams won't give their best center prospect for Max, Alzner can't be moved.

1. Sign placeholders at center. 2 of Plekanec, Derek Ryan, Nash, Beagle. Let's end the Drouin experiment now.

2. Trade Pacioretty for center prospect + 1st. Without aiming too high, let's say J.A.D. With the 1st, draft A. Thomas. Center prospects: J.A.D, Poehling, A. Thomas

3. Use their 1st to draft a defenseman, say Boqvist.

4. Trade Shaw and Byron for more 2nd round picks, 2018 or 2019.

5. Move Petry when Boqvist is ready.

In a couple seasons, something like:

Chucky J.A.D. Drouin
Lehkonen Poehling Gallagher
Hudon Danault Scherbak
Deslauriers DLR McCarron

Mete Weber
Alzner Boqvist
Reilley Juulsen

Still some holes (wing, LD), obviously, but they can be filled with the $20M + of cap space and the 7 second round picks in '18 and '19.
It also sets them up in a good draft position for the next 2 seasons.
This roster will finish last for a decade like the Oilers,Laffs and Sabres just god awful.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Depends on the GM 'vision' I guess, I mean, I'm sure MB sees Alzner and Shaw as core pieces, so Botterill may well see Larsson and McCabe as core pieces too. (seems like a smart guy though, so maybe not)

I don't think Bergevin is dumb enough to see Shaw and Alzner as core pieces, he's just dumb enough to not really want to trade them or listen to offers seriously.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
(Wrote that on Nov 22 2017, on a 'rebuild' thread at the time, don't exactly remember the op though. Still relevant, I think)

I once believed in that core. Especially when Bergevin took over... Plekanec was still producing, Price was 25, Pac and Subban 23, Gallagher 20, finally got a big center with a top pick (Chucky) and that whole 2012 draft was nice overall (most of the picks were hyped ones at the time, Collberg in the 2nd was seen as a late 1st, Thrower I remember people were surprised was still there, Bozon in the 3rd seen as a potential great pick, Hudon as a potential steal in the 5th... ), Beaulieu and Tinordi were developing... I thought we simply needed was new blood at the GM position, and Bergevin was hyped as hell.

And I believed everything.

But 5 years and a half later... this core, which is now older and essentially the same, has failed.

Time to start anew. Past plan was probably to reap on Price's excellence in goals, but building around a goalie is wayyyy too risky, especially if you actually don't build around too much. Molson will have to swallow this plan, and think about lowering his prices, because while I think people are ready for a rebuild (was actually very surprised by one of the latest surveys, where people think a rebuild is a better solution than a big trade...), they won't want to pay a premium for a Habs game anymore, not until it's a competitive team again. So swallow up your pride, find an excuse, and lower those damn prices.

-Review the whole development hockey ops staff, listen to whatever they have to say about our failures.
-No matter what, fire Eric Crawford, the head of Pro scouting, never understood why Bergevin thought it was a good idea to replace Vaughn Karpan with him, as IMO, he's one of the reasons the Vancouver Canucks sucks now. And damn, get some Pro scouts to cover the East, we have 3 to cover the West (Scott Master, Reid Simpson and Sean Burke) and I'm not sure there's even one in the East (David McLean ?). Keep Dave Starman (NCAA), got some good ones over the years.
-Fire Shane Churla, head of amateur scouting (people seem to forget that too often). Our prospect pool didn't produce a lot over the last nearly 10 years eh, one of the major reasons why we suck right now and management think it's a need to get players like King, Ott, Benn, Morrow, Davidson, Mitchell and co, because our depth sucks ! ... ok, the last 2 drafts were above average IMO, but damn our forward prospects sucks or a near non-existent. Poehling/Vejdemo/Evans are up to great starts, but damn we need way more than that... I'd keep scouts covering the WHL cause I think they're doing a nice job, but otherwise... and get a damn scout in Sweden please, and listen to Euro scouts more too ! (in fact, a whole change of mentality is needed there)
-Martin Lapointe and Rob Ramage needs to leave too. Development is arguably the other major reason why our depth sucks as it is. Some will say they work with what they have, well, you can't really use this excuse when failure is so common... I'd keep Bouillon from development, just because his attitude will most definitely rub the kids the good way.
-Dudley and Mellanby, out. Larry Carriere too. Foxhole is over. Thanks but no thanks. Nepotism has no place in a successful business.
-Timmins... see, while I always thought he was overrated because of that legendary 2007 draft, his 1st rounders were mostly abysmal otherwise, and we need more than just late round steals... he's supposedly not into amateur drafting anymore, but I think he still pull the cords somehow, and it shouldn't be. Thanks for all your years of service, but it's just time to start anew.
-AHL level, Lefebvre and co... LOL get the **** out of there. And get Dominique Ducharme and/or Joel Bouchard in his role. (cause I really think they have what an organization needs for the new NHL, smarts, communication and potential for more, not only because they're french)
-Claude Julien ? Arg... I really thought it would be smoother than that. He's part of the old NHL, but he still can communicate what he wants to his players. But... not all the time, it seems. I would fire JJD and Lacroix in a hurry, that's for sure, and anyway I think that Bergevin imposed them to Julien, and, while I always liked Muller, I think he should leave too. Let Julien hire his guys, then wait and see, have fun with the rebuild...

-Pacioretty... has a premium value, even with his poor play, everybody knows he can score at any moment, especially past the beginning of the season. His salary cap vs production is great. But I sure don't want to see him get a new contract. Get a premium for him, like Sakic got for Duchene. And young assets with potential, not similarly aged guys.
-Price, now that's a complicated one... he's the guy responsible for mostly everything that went well over the last 5 seasons, when he wasn't there, we saw what happened. Yet, I also think his contract is atrocious (Thanks Bergevin !), and that he won't necessarily help a rebuild, can't ask him to lose on purpose. Just shop him discreetly (but the guy has a NMC right ? a total one or we need to ask him if he wants to be traded ? not sure about it), if anyone has interest in getting that contract, but not just for anything. The guy is a gamer, just not sure he wants to go through a rebuild. (not like he has any kind of choice, unless he void his contract, but that would be a premiere for a superstar player...)
-Weber, I really like the guy, and I'd keep him around to help kids learn the game through the rebuild, but, if someone offer something great in return, I'll think hard about it...
-Plekanec I'd keep around, not like he has a lot of value anyway, and, well, I kind of like players who plays their whole careers with the same team. His salary cap vs production is abysmal, we all know about it, but he still plays the same kind of responsible defensive game, that would help some kids a lot just to look at his work ethic. But well, if someone offers me a 2018 late 1st for him, anytime ! (who am I kidding ?)
-Shaw, never liked his acquisition, he works hard, alright, but a small grinder is everything we don't need. Ship him for whatever we can get.
-Petry... he probably doesn't hold a lot of value, even though he a RHD with great mobility, his head needs a major screwing job this season, and his contract... if someone knocks on the door, I listen, that's for sure, but if Weber is traded, I probably keep him just so I have a veteran RHD.

-Gallagher needs to be named Captain ASAP. Because he is the Captain of that team. (I hope Pacioretty is ashamed to look at him play like he does, while he's floating around.)
-I build around Gallagher, Drouin, Chucky, Danault, Hudon, Lehkonen, and whoever we get back from those trades, I think long and hard about keeping Mete in the NHL or not, but I hold a long conversation with Julien before, about his usage of young players, that's for sure...

And damn I hope Molson has the smarts to hire a real President, because while I know I could do whatever I want with Molson (like Bergevin is actually doing) cause he doesn't know anything about hockey, I'd much prefer working for someone who knows the drill...

Lastly, and it should actually be the first thing to do, I'd address the fans and the medias on the 'plan' to rebuild, the reasons behind the idea, and in hope they will back the team up again through the pains and understand there will be growing pains, and that booing developing kids won't help them at all. (especially if Molson actually dropped the prices to reasonable levels, in that case, come on...)

Ultimately, who am I but a simple, disgruntled and pissed fan who may have a bit more of a grasp on hockey than a casual fan, but still just a fan.

Would this go that way ? Most probably not.

Real question is, would I be a revived fan if something like that would happen ?

Absolutely.

Cause right now, there's something dead inside of me, and I never thought it would happen.

Cheers.

Reactions: sXe and Per Sjoblom

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't think Bergevin is dumb enough to see Shaw and Alzner as core pieces, he's just dumb enough to not really want to trade them or listen to offers seriously.

Dumb, perhaps not. But I'd say full of himself and his 'vision', which, IMO, Shaw and Alzner are part of.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Dumb, perhaps not. But I'd say full of himself and his 'vision', which, IMO, Shaw and Alzner are part of.

Ya, Shaw and Alzner are more ego and refusal to admit he was wrong. Which is a big problem. Everybody gets things wrong, but management always seems to double down.

I think he thinks Shawzie and Alzner are core pieces. His comments and the contracts allude to this.

Maybe we have different definitions of core pieces. Neither guy plays really big minutes and they aren't the highest paid guys on the team.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm tired to see stupid proposals about signing JT or other quick fixes and all of our problems will go away. No free agent signing will fix the Habs. MB has completely mismanaged our lineup, and now the only way forward is to rebuild. The first step in rebuilding is trading our older assets for younger ones. This summer, we need Pacioretty, Weber and Price to be traded. They could generate first round picks and/or young quality players in trades and allow us to form a new nucleus of talented players. It's going to hurt like hell, and the road is going to be long and painful, but it's the only way forward. We have nothing at the moment to build on. Galchenyuk and Drouin are decent young players to have, but they are complementary players at best. Gallagher is a force, but he is not sufficiently talented to carry this team. We have no decent center, no decent left-handed defensemen, and our prospect pool sucks (aside from the goalie position). Looking at our team, it seems like we only have left-handed wingers playing all forward positions. First step of the rebuild is obviously to replace MB. However, I am not holding my breath on this one. Molson appears to be as clueless as MB.

Please use this thread to advocate for a total rebuild, if you believe like me that it is the best solution going forward.

As opposed to those stupid proposals to unload all our "older" players for a bunch of maybes, hopefuls and wannabes?

This team is closer to the top than it is to the bottom despite what the standings say.

Elite starting goalie. (Price)
Excellent back up (if they sign Niemi).
Elite top pairing defenceman. (Weber)
Excellent 4 top 6 wingers (Drouin, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk)
Top 6 pick at worst or at best top pick in this year's draft.
A very good second pairing vet d-man (Petry)
A very good 3rd line centreman (Danualt)
Excellent 3rd line wingers (Hudon, Scherbak, Byron, Shaw)
Two excellent young d-men breaking in (Juulsen, Mete).

What's missing from that lineup to make the Habs a competitive team? Two legit top six centers and a top pair PMD. Seeing as Alzner's game has improved head and shoulders playing next to Juulsen we can slot him as the fifth d-man. Depending on the UFA signings, trades and draft pickups this team could be anything from a strong playoff performer next year to even a contender

Now you can tell me that The Idiot & his band of bumbling morons are incapable of discerning the holes in this team let alone filling them but I can counter with what makes you think they can handle a rebuild?

Aside from the trades and draft pickups the team also needs to make changes in the coaching and management staffs. If I were MB or Geoff two individuals I would hire immediately are Ducharme and Bouchard. Those two were mainly responsible for building two great junior Canadian teams that won gold and silver at the past two Championships at a point in the talent cycle when Canada has been on a downswing. I would put those two in charge of the Rocket. Also, Julien needs to bring in his own assistants and the pro scouting needs a revamp.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It's not that hard...

Clean house staff-wise
Roy director of hockey ops
Lemaire adviser
Brisebois GM
Ducharme AHL head coach
Keep julien with clear development mandate (& short leash)

Pre-draft trades:
- Patches for RNH + khalifa
- Benn for 3rd or 4th
- Schlemko for 4th or 5th
- Alzner (dump to a team with a shorter contract dump & D need)
- Shaw (for anything but cap dump)

UFA signings:
1-2 vet dmen on 1-year deals, reclamation and/or late career high quality pro's
1 vet top 9 fwd (same criteria)

Price
Lingren

UFA/Mete - Weber
UFA/Mete - Petry
UFA/Valiev - Juulsen

Drouin - RNH - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galch - Byron
Hudon - Danault - Scherbak/UFA
Deslauriers - JDR - Khalifa/Rychel

During the season:
Trade Weber, Byron & all 3 UFA'S for mix of high picks & quality prospects.
(2x 1sts +)

after 18 & 19 drafts we'd have added two lottery picks + 5-7 other top-60 picks...

With that, we should be able to hit 2019-20 season with enough top 6 & top 9 talent to build with and complement what we'd keep from now (after above trades):
Top 9
Drouin, Galch, RNH, Gallagher, Danault, Lekhonen

Top 4
Petry/Mete-Juulsen (confident at least 1 of 2 will succeed as a top 4, if not both,)

Leaves us with 9 top 60 picks and
Scherbak/ikonen/poehling/vejdemo/Evans/Juulsen/Valiev/Fleury to fill out those 5 skill roster spots... 17 shots for 5 spotst, not to mention UFA signings to close out any gaps or bridges as prospects get to NHL.

A good management team could build a team ready to contend in front of Price in that 2020-2025 window... But next two summers are crucial, and Molson's already committed to waisting one... So odds are this dumpster fire will keep burning for a while before we can even think of rebuilding

For Lemaire, I'm tot sure of this one and I don't think he gonna leave Lou and the Leafs I would prefer Jacques Martin I think

and I would add Joel Bouchard as assistant GM and Laval GM to replace Larry Carriere, Derek Clancy as assistant GM to replace Scott Mellanby and John Ferguson Jr as Sr. VP of Hockey Operations to replace Dudley but for the rest I'm pretty in agreement with you

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If it was easy to get two top 6 C's and a top pairing PMD.. they would have done it by now.

It's not easy and you only get it by the draft and using those assets to develop one or trade for one.

Sergachyov was moved for a winger. There's your potential top pairing PMD or trading piece for a top 6 C.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I 100% next season to be our 13-14 Toronto Maple Leafs season. After making the playoffs in a shortened season, Nonis went "all in" by adding Bernier and Bolland in trade and signed David Clarkson with a big buyout for Mikhail Grabovski. Nonis also gambled on letting Clarke MacArthur go and replaced him with Mason Raymond, who wasn't bad, but he wasn't as good as MacArthur. While it's a different situation with this club bottoming out, I expect Bergevin to find "needs" in a top six centre and a top four defenceman (like Nonis did with Bernier and Bolland), make a big free agent splash, and let go of some players he felt were a problem and replace them with guys he thinks will be a solution. It won't work.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's been 6 years with Bergevin and he's created holes at #2C and #1LD

And you are aware that you just listed.. two of the three most difficult things to get in the league.

Literally every team in the league is 3 major pieces away from being cup contenders, lmao.
Bergevin is here to stay so what makes you think he can handle a rebuild better than getting those three pieces? Not lmao.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bergevin is here to stay so what makes you think he can handle a rebuild better than getting those three pieces? Not lmao.

He can't handle any of it. Everyone but Molson knows this. If he was capable we wouldn't be in this mess.

He's going to move draft picks and overpay for lesser quality UFAs this year to desperately try to get back into the play-offs. He will fail because he sucks at identifying legitimate talent and then he will be canned. Hopefully the next person is A - Capable, B - Visionary and C - Allowed to properly rebuild.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
What's missing from that lineup to make the Habs a competitive team? Two legit top six centers and a top pair PMD.

They're lacking the prospects to fill these positions and a re-signed Pacioretty makes it tough to afford them in free agency.

If MB wants to pin their hopes on the free agent market then fine, but he's running out of time and chances. Can't afford more misses or mistakes like Alzner. Anything short of a Tavares signing sets the team's hopes on fighting for a playoff spot, at best.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Maybe we have different definitions of core pieces. Neither guy plays really big minutes and they aren't the highest paid guys on the team.

Alzner has played the most minutes of any Habs defenceman this season by almost 300 minutes. Average wise he'd be #3 behind Weber and Petry but the idea he doesn't play big minutes is incorrect. Shaw isn't a "pillar" or anything but he was signed for six years and plays #6 forward minutes despite having the skill of a third line winger who is often better suited for the fourth line.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They're lacking the prospects to fill these positions and a re-signed Pacioretty makes it tough to afford them in free agency.

If MB wants to pin their hopes on the free agent market then fine, but he's running out of time and chances. Can't afford more misses or mistakes like Alzner. Anything short of a Tavares signing sets the team's hopes on fighting for a playoff spot, at best.
They can fill those three holes by signing a UFA, trading Pacioretty and using their top pick this year.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Wow. Tons of doom and gloom in this thread. We have a lot of good pieces. I’m for holding the course right now. Including patches. Try and add Tavares or Stastny (or both). Draft bpa. And continue to develop.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
As opposed to those stupid proposals to unload all our "older" players for a bunch of maybes, hopefuls and wannabes?

This team is closer to the top than it is to the bottom despite what the standings say.

What's missing from that lineup to make the Habs a competitive team? Two legit top six centers and a top pair PMD. Seeing as Alzner's game has improved head and shoulders playing next to Juulsen we can slot him as the fifth d-man. Depending on the trades and draft pickups this team could be anything from a strong playoff performer next year to even a contender

Now you can tell me that The Idiot & his band of bumbling morons are incapable of discerning the holes in this team let alone filling them but I can counter with what makes you think they can handle a rebuild?

Aside from the trades and draft pickups the team also needs to make changes in the coaching and management staffs. If I were MB or Geoff two individuals I would hire immediately are Ducharme and Bouchard. Those two were mainly responsible for building two great junior Canadian teams that won gold and silver during in the past two Championship at a point in the talent cycle when Canada is on a downswing. I would put those two in charge of the Rocket. Also, Julien needs to bring in his own assistants and the pro scouting needs a revamp.

It's what I think to but 2 top 6 C is not easy to found ... just one is really difficult and it's the same thing with top 2 D-man ! the only thing that could make us contender is that we win the lottery and we find a way to sign Tavares.. but I think that we should do like Boston a little rebuild restructure of the team

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
With Molson latest support of Bergevin.
Comments from Julien about getting better players.

And Molson comments about this year being an exception not the rule (and pointing out Tampa Bay).

It's quite obvious they did not get the memo that this team is poorly build with a rotten core and bad contracts.

They won't rebuild for sure.. just delay the inevitable.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Why do people insist on torturing themselves with threads like this? Anyone who's been a fan of this team for longer than the last 5 minutes knows full well that they will never commit to a proper rebuild or even admit that a rebuild is something they need to consider. This is a team that is expected to provide playoff gate revenue to its owner by whatever means necessary. If that means destroying their prospects for a true contending team 5 0r 10 years down the road by mortgaging that future for a modicum of short-term success, they will do it without giving it a second thought. The owner wants to be in the playoffs and the GM and coaching staff need to be in the playoffs to remain employed. Unless or until you address the problems with ownership and management it's never going to matter which bums you have in the dressing room or behind the bench. Like I've said before, this is organizational malaise. It's a rotten corporate culture from which this rancid product issues forth.

We need an owner who cares more about winning than about just making a buck and selling condos. We need an owner who cares more about winning than he does about placating the Francophone media when he makes hiring decisions. We need an owner who cares more about winning than he does about allowing his GM to not spend over $8 million in cap space for what I predict (after Tavares doesn't sign with us) will turn out to be no apparent reason. Get yourself an owner who cares about winning above all other things and don't worry. He'll make sure to hire a GM who cares about the same thing and he, in turn, will acquire coaches, players and scouts who share those beliefs.

Fans always tend to focus on the middle to lower rungs of the organizational ladder (i.e. the players and coaching staff) but what many of them fail to take into account is that if the top of the ladder (management and ownership) is out to lunch, nothing you do about the middle and lower rungs is ever going to make much of a difference.

We need a new and better owner than the one we've got right now. It's that simple.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015

What's missing from that lineup to make the Habs a competitive team? Two legit top six centers and a top pair PMD. Seeing as Alzner's game has improved head and shoulders playing next to Juulsen we can slot him as the fifth d-man. Depending on the trades and draft pickups this team could be anything from a strong playoff performer next year to even a contender

Aside from the trades and draft pickups the team also needs to make changes in the coaching and management staffs. If I were MB or Geoff two individuals I would hire immediately are Ducharme and Bouchard. Those two were mainly responsible for building two great junior Canadian teams that won gold and silver during in the past two Championship at a point in the talent cycle when Canada is on a downswing. I would put those two in charge of the Rocket. Also, Julien needs to bring in his own assistants and the pro scouting needs a revamp.

Not sure MB can get 2 top6 centers, let alone a top3 and a borderline top6 one. With a top5 pick we can probably get a top2D ready in 3-4 years. Only way to be in the mix next year is the combo Dahlin/Tavares. Hopefully, if we don't get either one, they will go with a full rebuild, not signing Statsny to a 7 years deal.

We might not need 2 top6 centers, if AG27 can play 2nd line C role. Can't be worst than Drouin and we have to many wingers anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad