Tribute The Rebuild Poll: 2023-24 Playoffs or Tanking?

What side of the fence are you on?

• Team Tank (sell everyone born before Y2K)

• Playoffs Bandwagon (maybe not buyers but definetly feeling it)

• The Muddy Middle (not sellers or buyers- the whatever approach)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
2025 is the first key offseason date. Dvorak, Armia, Evans, Pezzetta, Kovacevic, Savard and Allen all becoming UFAs, if still Habs by then.

The 2027 offseason is the other. Both Gallagher and Anderson becoming UFAs, as well as Montembeault, if they are still with the team.

The offseason in between these two key dates sees Matheson becoming a UFA and Price's contract finally coming off the books.

Personally, Price retiring as a Hab is fine and I'm positive Matheson will either have been kept and re-signed, or traded for an interesting future before he becomes an UFA (I prefer to see him traded).

The 2024-2025 season should have seen a few veterans get moved at the trade deadline, provided they remain healthy. I suspect Kovacevic, Savard, Allen, Dvorak and Armia would all be serious rental candidates if they haven't been moved before. I'm really not sure what Pezzetta's value would be?

Any 2nd round picks coming back (doubt those players gets a 1st round pick, but who knows) would be welcome to add to the two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks we already have for the 2025 draft.

That will add depth of higher draft picks to enable the Habs to still draft decent prospects if they opt to trade high draft picks, along with, perhaps a veteran like Matheson, and a prospect or two in order to acquire an elite forward.

On top of having prospects gain experience, Hughes should have the cards to add a missing element up front with a mixture of quality draft picks, a quality veteran and quality prospects to trade AND Cap space to sign a high end forward that was acquired.

The 2027 offseason, IMO, following the potential trade of Anderson as a rental at the 2027 trade deadline and the expiration of Gallagher's contract in the 2027 offseason will provide an added 12M in Cap space, on top of any added space under the Cap ceiling.

IMO, the 2027 offseason will be the time to either add a missing piece or two via the UFA market, or add missing pieces via a trade by taking on shorter term Cap for talented depth veterans from a team/teams that is/are forced to make difficult decisions.

Key long term addition(s) during the 2025 offseason.

Tweaking the roster into a projected contender, perhaps via the UFA fronting the 2027 offseason.

Adding a key piece in the 2025 offseason, along with the progression of the talented youth, should help make Montreal a more attractive destination for younger UFAs that might fit a longer, mid term Cup window (three to four years)

Like the idea of seeing what gives by the 2027-2028, with all of the albatross contracts gone, replaced with younger, talented players.

Suzuki (28), Caufield (26), Dach (26), Salfkovsky (23), Newhook (26), Roy (24), Beck (23), a young, high end forward acquired in the 2025 offseason via a trade and another high end UFA forward in the 28 yr-old range acquired on the UFA front in the 2027 offseason should go well as a top-9 with our developing D-Corps.

Caufield - Dach - 2027 UFA acquisition
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - 2025 trade acquisition
Newhook - Beck - Roy

Guhle- Reinbacher
Hutson - Engstrom
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Considering how hard it is to sign big UFAs in Montreal, i hope they go hard after talent upfront starting 2024 summer. Of course it's starts with 2024 1st pick which i hope will be top 10 or even top 8. We should be able to get a pretty solid offensive prospect out of it.

Then we have UFAs. I think Reinhart and Nylander will want to get paid and will hit the market. I wouldn't pay extra bucks (we know we have to to attract players in MTL) to bring Reinhart but Nylander? I definately would. I'd give a mid round pick to Leafs after the season for his negociation rights and give him 8 X 11M$.

Since it probably won't happen, 2025 will also saw great potential in quality signings.

Now on the trade front, our multiple quality draft picks in 2025 and 2026 and depth in young quality defensive prospects should make it possible to go after a great youngish top 6 scorer. And that time, i wouldn't go after a reclamation project like Newhook or Dach. I would go for a known commodity. Like a 25-26 yo on his last contrat year that we can trade for and sign to an extension immediately.

What we need to compete is top more top 6 talent, one of which needs to be a top line scorer.

Add that to 2024 1st pick and the inclusion of Hutson, Reinbacher and possibly Mailloux on defense and Beck and maybe Roy up front and we become relevant starting in 2026.

Were so screwed with this coaching group,nice job Kent/Jeff.We can't put two solid games together,boring predictable fly off the seat of your pants pond hockey,but no worries Molson magoo says were headed in the right direction
We miss talent up front. That's easy to understand.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We will be sellers again......................but that doesn't mean tank at all.
Selling off vets, Monahan, Savard etc gives us more draft capital. Draft capital that should be used to aquire a good young forward via trade.
Adding a ufa is very hard, and tricky for the habs.

I think we are seeing some improvements, in certain players, more recently our D and Slaf........
Trust the process guys.......I think HuGo knows where we are heading.

Reactions: WinterLion

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The odds of missing the playoffs are much higher than 50/50. I still think the Habs get a top 5-7 pick.
110%

The 50/50 is me still not sure if we push or tank. By push it doesn't mean we have to make the playoffs this year, I'd still like to be aggressive if the right moves can be made going forward

Reactions: Tyson

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Sell? Yes.
Tank? Nah. Start implementing a winner mentality. The current youngster needs to learn how to win for the next wave of addition to the team.

There's still a lot of trimming to do, but the boys can't start losing interest in winning like last year.
Anderson, Dvorak, Savard, Monahan(due to contract), Allen, Armia(even if not possible) and Pearson all need to leave tho.

Fire sale all you can at the TDL.

Then this summer, you start adding up to start competing for playoffs.

Reactions: Zorro

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Sell? Yes.
Tank? Nah. Start implementing a winner mentality. The current youngster needs to learn how to win for the next wave of addition to the team.

There's still a lot of trimming to do, but the boys can't start losing interest in winning like last year.
Anderson, Dvorak, Savard, Monahan(due to contract), Allen, Armia(even if not possible) and Pearson all need to leave tho.

Fire sale all you can at the TDL.

Then this summer, you start adding up to start competing for playoffs.
Winning by stealing points, you might as well not win if that's all you do. We're bottom5 in GF, GA, SF, SA... what winner mentality is this? Inconsistent special teams, no system (this is by design)... I don't know man. If they were scoring and peppering shots then at least maybe I'd understand.

As for 'firesale', I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's amazing how many dead weight vets are on this team.
We badly need a superstar or star to put the team on his back. Absent that, everybody will look like dead weight because we don't have talent depth.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Winning by stealing points, you might as well not win if that's all you do. We're bottom5 in GF, GA, SF, SA... what winner mentality is this? Inconsistent special teams, no system (this is by design)... I don't know man. If they were scoring and peppering shots then at least maybe I'd understand.

As for 'firesale', I wouldn't hold my breath.

We badly need a superstar or star to put the team on his back. Absent that, everybody will look like dead weight because we don't have talent depth.
So badly need a superstar and a better pp coach...
Starving

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
They will sell at the deadline and have a lottery pick. Plus they have many young players developing nicely. I just hope they can get some decent assets at the deadline.

So badly need a superstar and a better pp coach...
Starving
Or we need Lane Hutson...?

Reactions: Milhouse40

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed

But no prospect in the system that will be a superstar...lack that bad..
Got the #1 pick the wrong year

I agree that it is unlikely, but not impossible...

Maybe Hutson? Possibly Reinbacher? Real longs shots Konyushkov & Fowler?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
They will sell at the deadline and have a lottery pick. Plus they have many young players developing nicely. I just hope they can get some decent assets at the deadline.
Kent Hughes can't sell what nobody wants. Last year his bozo staff allowed Monahan and others to play injured and so Hughes blew it at the deadline and the Bedard sweeps. This year we can't expect much more, can we?

UFAs: Pearson, Monahan, Mitchell Stevens, and Chris Wideman
RFAs: Lindstrom, Barron, Ylonen

And which buyer wants these players with term: Gallagher, Armia, Anderson, Dvorak, Savard, Allen?

Maybe Jordan Harris (1.4m till '25) can get something...

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Kent Hughes can't sell what nobody wants. Last year his bozo staff allowed Monahan and others to play injured and so Hughes blew it at the deadline and the Bedard sweeps. This year we can't expect much more, can we?

And which buyer wants these players with term: Gallagher, Armia, Anderson, Dvorak, Savard, Allen?

Can't be worse than last year!! Right!??!?

We will see...

I think Pearson and Monahan will have takers. I actually think Allen will get us a positive even though I'm in the minority.

We will probably get more Dvo and Anderson in their Ufa years.... Savard could definitely be moved, but I think we keep him until next years deadline.

I could see us moving someone like Pezzetta or Evans at the deadline to make space.

I could see us added a few decent assets, but really clearing out some space is the most important thing because we have a bunch of guys who will need icetime soon.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

Reminder: Hughes was offered a 1st for Josh Anderson and declined

Bozo GM, expectations are in the basement rn

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Can't be worse than last year!! Right!??!?

We will see...

I think Pearson and Monahan will have takers. I actually think Allen will get us a positive even though I'm in the minority.

We will probably get more Dvo and Anderson in their Ufa years.... Savard could definitely be moved, but I think we keep him until next years deadline.

I could see us moving someone like Pezzetta or Evans at the deadline to make space.

I could see us added a few decent assets, but really clearing out some space is the most important thing because we have a bunch of guys who will need icetime soon.

It can be worse than last year......good thing is, we have 22 picks in the next 2 draft already.
Monahan, Pearson, Allen and Kovacevic are probably the only one I could see getting traded.

We sadly have another full season ahead of us before new management can complete the work of getting us rid of Bergevin's mess.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Considering how hard it is to sign big UFAs in Montreal, i hope they go hard after talent upfront starting 2024 summer. Of course it's starts with 2024 1st pick which i hope will be top 10 or even top 8. We should be able to get a pretty solid offensive prospect out of it.

Then we have UFAs. I think Reinhart and Nylander will want to get paid and will hit the market. I wouldn't pay extra bucks (we know we have to to attract players in MTL) to bring Reinhart but Nylander? I definately would. I'd give a mid round pick to Leafs after the season for his negociation rights and give him 8 X 11M$.

Since it probably won't happen, 2025 will also saw great potential in quality signings.

Now on the trade front, our multiple quality draft picks in 2025 and 2026 and depth in young quality defensive prospects should make it possible to go after a great youngish top 6 scorer. And that time, i wouldn't go after a reclamation project like Newhook or Dach. I would go for a known commodity. Like a 25-26 yo on his last contrat year that we can trade for and sign to an extension immediately.

What we need to compete is top more top 6 talent, one of which needs to be a top line scorer.

Add that to 2024 1st pick and the inclusion of Hutson, Reinbacher and possibly Mailloux on defense and Beck and maybe Roy up front and we become relevant starting in 2026.

We miss talent up front. That's easy to understand.
We definitely agree that we are missing talent up front. We just don't agree on the timelines. Adding Reinhard -- or Nylander -- right now, IMO, is too early to add players in that age bracket.

We need to remain patient since the situation on D and at G is still years away from being resolved.

I don't believe that Hughes will be in a position to add a youngish, know quantity that is a bonafide top line scorer in 2024 via a trade. I'd rather use our picks on forwards in this, the third draft of the rebuild and add more top picks for 2025.

That offseason should lend itself more to adding a young impact forward via the trade route. We will have more strong picks to deal, more polished prospects to dangle, more Cap space to extend any acquisition long term and veterans either becoming rentals(easier to move) or coming closer to the end of their contracts that remain value contracts (Matheson could fetch another 1st round pick for the 2025 draft and an interesting prospect in the 2025 offseason, or at the 2024-2025 draft deadline).

In the 2025 offseason, Montreal will have both the assets and the Cap space to be part of many conversations. Their are legitimate odds of having three first round picks, three or four 2nd round picks and three or more third round picks (we already have two of each and several rental players to trade at the 2025 trade deadline), with something important panning out on the trade front, IMO.

Getting an established, youngish scorer should be the top priority in that offseason. As you say, one on an expiring contract that can immediately be extended long term.

Picks from 2022, 2023 and 2024, for the most part, even if they make the team beforehand, aren't likely to have a confirmed impact until the 2027-2028 season, even if they show positive signs before that in the 2026-2027 season.

Contrary to popular belief, it's really not a high percentage of prospects that have a high end impact at the NHL as 20, 21 and 22 year old players.

Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux, on D, may make the team in 2024-2025, 2025-2026 (more likely), or after that, but making the team does not represent having an impact worthy of a contending team.

In 2027-2028, a 23 year old Slafkovsky will be something else to watch. 26-year old Dach, Caufield and Newhook should be in their prime, or, at the very least, entering their prime.

What we get from Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson and Mailloux, at that point, will also be more significant than what we seen now from Guhle and what we will see fromtheothers in their first few years at the NHL level.

The beauty of this team is that the prospects should be fully developed by the 2027-2028 season. The performances the ice, especially if we have added an impact forward in 2025, should make Montreal an attractive team for UFAs at a time where Montreal will just have freed up 12M - 15M, depending on what is done with Montembeault at that point.

Steady but surely. The bonus would also be that the prospects drafted in 2024, 2025 and 2026, could also potentially add cheap, talented depth over a 3-year window when we are ready to compete for a Cup.

It's a rebuild and waiting a bit for a finalized roster is only normal. Furthermore, being patient and lining up assets as prospects get evaluated over time will provide Hughes with bargaining chips to make meaningful changes and additions to the roster.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Every team has a shot at winning a Cup in a half decade span. Vegas won a Cup in five years of existence. Meaningless statement.

Buffalo has failed to win a single playoff round in over a decade. The notion that a roster can win the Cup (ie four rounds of playoff games) without having won a single one before is unheard of.

Winning the Cup is surprisingly iterative. Walk before you run. Buffalo hasn’t even walked yet.

Okay I’ll put it another way, I would take Buffalos roster over our in a heartbeat. It’s considerably stronger and we could only hope to acquire that kind of talent.

Everyone pointing at buffalo as a reason not to tank is ridiculous to me.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Okay I’ll put it another way, I would take Buffalos roster over our in a heartbeat. It’s considerably stronger and we could only hope to acquire that kind of talent.

Everyone pointing at buffalo as a reason not to tank is ridiculous to me.
No, they’re pointing at Buffalo’s last 15 years as a reason not to tank.

Reactions: DAChampion

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Reminder: Hughes was offered a 1st for Josh Anderson and declined

Bozo GM, expectations are in the basement rn
that was nothing more then a rumour that could of been starting by our management to gain interest

Anderson was always overrated by Habs fans i dont believe for a second that a GM offered a 1st for him yes hes big but he barely hits i wouldnt call him a PF

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
that was nothing more then a rumour that could of been starting by our management to gain interest

Anderson was always overrated by Habs fans i dont believe for a second that a GM offered a 1st for him yes hes big but he barely hits i wouldnt call him a PF
He sucks shit

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
Can we rebuild a rebuild?

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Benstheman

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
It doesn’t matter which position Habs will draft. With Bobrov having influence, it won’t make a difference.

Bobrov has a terrible track record.

Not that I believe our recent first round picks will bust, I just don’t see them as game changing, franchise players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad