Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gaudette is two years (and three drafts) younger than Kerfoot, is 3 inches taller and 15 lbs. heavier, and has more pro-projectable tools than Kerfoot. He's a better prospect right now by a fairly wide margin.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Gaudette is two years (and three drafts) younger than Kerfoot, is 3 inches taller and 15 lbs. heavier, and has more pro-projectable tools than Kerfoot. He's a better prospect right now by a fairly wide margin.

I never said he wasn't.

I just happen to agree wit BG on the point that at this point in their careers automatically assuming Gaudette would be ahead of Kerfoot on Vancouver's depth chart, or have an advantage due to being younger, is putting the cart before the horse.

Especially since Gaudette is at least a college season away from going pro.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Not that I think Gaudette won't be better, but that doesn't refute BGs statement.

It might make it more likely that Gaudette becomes the better player, but for all intents and purposes BG is correct—they're both unproven prospects who've had promising college careers to date and proven nothing.

Certainly doesn't warrant a "lmao."

Actually pretty much EVERY site you can think of rates Gaudette (and Lockwood) ahead of Kerfoot as a prospect.

As far as unproven prospect, thats correct except remember Gaudette scored 52 pts last year vs Kerfoot 45 (30 in his second season as a comparison). That isn't a small difference, that's a huge difference.

So when comparing their NCAA career to date, you have a good career (Kerfoot) vs a great career (at least so far). Kerfoot really is more of a comparable to Molino (in terms of career/NCAA prospect ranking/etc) than Gaudette or even Lockwood. And i'm not just saying this because we didn't sign Kerfoot... i said similar things in his thread (comparing Kerfoot to what JS is now except younger, i.e. a AAAA player or inbetween AHL/NHL).

Gaudette is someone who should get the Boeser treatment this year (like Lockwood likely in 2018-19). That is he finishes his season with us (Van) after his NCAA season ends. He likely starts next season with a spot to lose (like Boeser this year). I have little doubt that if Gaudette and Kerfoot were on the same team, Gaudette would instantly be ahead of Kerfoot without playing a game.

Also remember Gaudette's game isnt' even just about scoring... he's much better defensively than Kerfoot. Kerfoot is "acceptable" defensively in the NCAA level, which means he probably needs to improve for the NHL. Gaudette is considered a good defensive player in the NCAA level meaning he'll likely be good enough to not be a liability in the NHL even right now. So even if he doesn't score, he could contribute (and again his scoring numbers are actually a lot better than Kerfoot).

The question really is how much of Gaudette's number is actually inflated due to Sikura or Reese (since he spends a lot of time with one or the other). Of course you can make the argument of how much their number are influenced by Gaudette (who is ranked by most NCAA scouting sites as the best prospect out of the 3).

Side note on Sikura, he will be a UFA on Aug. 15 next year (if Chicago fails to sign him)... i wonder if we'll be in on him. Not as good as Reese but projects to be a decent 3rd liner. Could be a good prospect to have with AG at the start of his career (since odds are they'll play together a lot more next season). He looked very good at the Hawks prospect camp (based on reports). Something worth tracking at least. :laugh:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Actually pretty much EVERY site you can think of rates Gaudette (and Lockwood) ahead of Kerfoot as a prospect.

As far as unproven prospect, thats correct except remember Gaudette scored 52 pts last year vs Kerfoot 45 (30 in his second season as a comparison). That isn't a small difference, that's a huge difference.

So when comparing their NCAA career to date, you have a good career (Kerfoot) vs a great career (at least so far). Kerfoot really is more of a comparable to Molino (in terms of career/NCAA prospect ranking/etc) than Gaudette or even Lockwood. And i'm not just saying this because we didn't sign Kerfoot... i said similar things in his thread (comparing Kerfoot to what JS is now except younger, i.e. a AAAA player or inbetween AHL/NHL).

Gaudette is someone who should get the Boeser treatment this year (like Lockwood likely in 2018-19). That is he finishes his season with us (Van) after his NCAA season ends. He likely starts next season with a spot to lose (like Boeser this year). I have little doubt that if Gaudette and Kerfoot were on the same team, Gaudette would instantly be ahead of Kerfoot without playing a game.

Also remember Gaudette's game isnt' even just about scoring... he's much better defensively than Kerfoot. Kerfoot is "acceptable" defensively in the NCAA level, which means he probably needs to improve for the NHL. Gaudette is considered a good defensive player in the NCAA level meaning he'll likely be good enough to not be a liability in the NHL even right now. So even if he doesn't score, he could contribute (and again his scoring numbers are actually a lot better than Kerfoot).

The question really is how much of Gaudette's number is actually inflated due to Sikura or Reese (since he spends a lot of time with one or the other). Of course you can make the argument of how much their number are influenced by Gaudette (who is ranked by most NCAA scouting sites as the best prospect out of the 3).

Side note on Sikura, he will be a UFA on Aug. 15 next year (if Chicago fails to sign him)... i wonder if we'll be in on him. Not as good as Reese but projects to be a decent 3rd liner. Could be a good prospect to have with AG at the start of his career (since odds are they'll play together a lot more next season). He looked very good at the Hawks prospect camp (based on reports). Something worth tracking at least. :laugh:

I explained my view above.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
And i explained why MS is right... AG should be ahead of Kerfoot as soon as he turns pro (if they were in the same team.. lets hope that doesnt happen anytime soon lol).

Until Gaudette decides to play pro hockey and signs, I don't even consider him on the depth chart.

Gaudette is the better prospect—that goes without saying. I don't really need an essay telling me that. I follow enough prospect sites.

I honestly hadn't read back far enough to see the context of what I'd commented on—thought it was about Gaudette potentially blocking Kerfoot's route to an NHL roster spot.

I don't really see him as an obstacle to Kerfoot until he's commited to the Canucks.

But it's a moot point anyway, since Kerfoot commited to the AVS.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
No one should lose sleep over Kerfoot. We are after all talking about a slightly a over average NCAA player who more than likely won't be an NHL player. He small, soft and timid and it's not like the Canucks need any more of those players. Vancouver will be fine without AK going forward and the AVS won't improve with him on their squad. Dime a dozen player who'll be out of the NHL quicker than it takes for the Nucks to reach the playoffs.

Move on, nothing to see here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

And I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but Griffin Molino is the same age and just as good a prospect as Kerfoot imo....Linden saying as much on with Price-Sekeras, commenting that Molino was a kid they'd targeted as a college UFA all season long.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
And I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but Griffin Molino is the same age and just as good a prospect as Kerfoot imo....Linden saying as much on with Price-Sekeras, commenting that Molino was a kid they'd targeted as a college UFA all season long.

I actually think Molino is actually a better prospect but that's mostly because i might be higher on him than most of the board (i ranked him much higher than most during prospect polls too lol).

I don't think Molino is as good offensively as Kerfoot but he's a better skater and better in his own end. Probably won't score as much as Kerfoot but could contribute more in other areas.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Congrats to Zukenov. I hope he gets better and comes over to us after this deal. I think he has what it takes

Except we lose his rights June 1st 2019... basically the same time his contract ends (well one month after but it would make sense for him to wait for UFA status)

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
Jasek added another assist yesterday against Cardiff. Liberec won 7-3.

He has 3 assists in 3 games. Next game is against the Vaxjo Lakers.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Here's another one. This one played Canadian Jrs. He's of AHL age and he signs in the KHL.

Again what is it with Benning that his European prospects dodge the AHL or does he decide they are better off over there and if so why?? First Rodin and Tryamkin. Now, more so with Zhukenov, Jasek, Dahlen, Gunnarsson, Lakatos, and Palmu. All are eligible for the AHL and are 20. The age that good Canadian players enter the AHL if they don't make the parent club.

Also keep in mind that Europeans can play in the AHL or NHL as early as 18. Not saying these guys were ready then, but if they are on an NHL track they should be in the AHL at 20, playing the NA game on smaller rinks, adjusting to greater physicality, and bonding with their future teammates.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Here's another one. This one played Canadian Jrs. He's of AHL age and he signs in the KHL.

Again what is it with Benning that his European prospects dodge the AHL or does he decide they are better off over there and if so why?? First Rodin and Tryamkin. Now, more so with Zhukenov, Jasek, Dahlen, Gunnarsson, Lakatos, and Palmu. All are eligible for the AHL and are 20. The age that good Canadian players enter the AHL if they don't make the parent club.

Also keep in mind that Europeans can play in the AHL or NHL as early as 18. Not saying these guys were ready then, but if they are on an NHL track they should be in the AHL at 20, playing the NA game on smaller rinks, adjusting to greater physicality, and bonding with their future teammates.

I'm pretty sure they just didn't want to sign Zhukenov.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Dahlen to miss YoungStars with Mono

lmao

You have got to be kidding me. This is really horrible news. It will mean a year of recovery even after "recovering" and all of the slow start, poor result, complaints about his development. The "Luck" this organization has is absolutely abominable. Very depressing. Almost a guarantee he heads back to Europe for this season now if it wasn't already. So sad

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
You have got to be kidding me. This is really horrible news. It will mean a year of recovery even after "recovering" and all of the slow start, poor result, complaints about his development. The "Luck" this organization has is absolutely abominable. Very depressing. Almost a guarantee he heads back to Europe for this season now if it wasn't already. So sad

- - - - me gently :amazed::(

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC

McCann was diagnosed with Mono and missed the young stars tourney in 2014 as well, bu he went on to have a very good draft+1 year. Hopefully Dahlen feels better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad