The problem is...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I don't know why everyone is concerned with upgrading the 2nd line C spot, or winger for JT, or the defence when the real problem is goaltending...

Jaro is a #1 on the decline and a ufa this summer, and Greiss is a great backup, no more...

There is no one in the system ready to play next year, and Halak is the best ufa available...

Garth should forget about all the Duchene's of the world and start looking at a major trade for a goalie, you know, the position he used to play himself...
Thoughts...​

Reactions: Konk

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Well, I think our goalie situation is "ok"...Halak is notorious for having slow starts...the guy needs at least 10-15 games to get into it.

Greiss, I have no idea why he looks this bad...he's a much better goalie than he is showing he is right now..this can only mean that he slacked off during the summer as some players do and that's why consistency is not there.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Aside from the Columbus disaster (in which NYI were shut out anyway), Islanders have given up 3, 2 and 3 goals in the next three games. Hard to say goaltending (or even defense) is really the issue. They need to score more whether on the powerplay or on 5 v 5.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
You can win in this league with average goaltending. Of course, they need to step up in the playoffs, and Halak and Greiss are known to do that. Goaltending should be one of our lesser concerns for now. I'm more concerned about the defense outside of Leddy and Boychuk, but I think after Pulock comes in and gets comfortable we'll be fine.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The main problem is that we're not scoring. That gets magnified by some of the bad goals both our goaltenders have given up.

Reactions: france62

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We're not getting another goalie. The goalie tandem is set. Are we going to trade everyone if they have a bad game or two? Jaro is 32, usually peak years for a goaltender. And a motivated player in a contract year is usually a very good thing. Greiss has demonstrated he can be more than a backup. I wouldn't want him getting 65 starts but I'm fine with him in a platoon situation with Halak.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The main problem is that we're not scoring. That gets magnified by some of the bad goals both our goaltenders have given up.

Yep. It's hard to always play from behind as well, but if they can get more offense they'd be able to put a few more in the back of the net. Wouldn't mind a top end defenseman being added to the roster, but that's less likely than am impact forward.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yep. It's hard to always play from behind as well, but if they can get more offense they'd be able to put a few more in the back of the net. Wouldn't mind a top end defenseman being added to the roster, but that's less likely than am impact forward.
Honestly, we could use one more top end player in net AND on D, as well as another impact forward.

We're close. Just 3 players away.:thumbu:

Jethro

Another relic...
Oct 9, 2015
S. Florida
NYI_PP_Chart.jpg
Power play is by far our biggest issue....always has been and always will be

We were in the middle of the pack as recently as three years ago. From 1977-1993 (16 seasons) we had the 2nd best power play in the league, averaging 24.2%, and although the chart attached doesn't show it (NHL stats on website for PP start @1977) the 1975-76 Islanders had the 2nd best powerplay of ALL TIME (31.7%).

Yes, it's another lifetime, but you did say "always".

(Rank graph line is % rank; 100% means we were #1 that year)

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
For the record, I'm not concerned about this season, it's next season that worries me...

There is no one available to play with Greiss, not in system or in the FA market...

We have legit prospects on F and D that can help ASAP...
But baring a trade or a Sorokin miracle, it's Greiss or bust...

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Next year is going to suck if they can't get a starter. The Greiss contract is another awful Snow Special. It might be unpopular, but I'd go after Fleury.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For the record, I'm not concerned about this season, it's next season that worries me...

There is no one available to play with Greiss, not in system or in the FA market...

I think it's been rumored that Soderstrom is coming over next season.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
I'm yet to see a smooth entry into the zone with 2 or 3 crisp passes and a blast into the back of the net.

Instead, the dump in attempt bounces off someone's skate, slides into the side boards, a sumo wrestling match breaks out for possession of the puck, the puck then gets kicked into the near corner, a pass attempt gets flubbed and rolls into the far corner, another attempted pass to an open man in front of the net is shot into the skates of the defender, then ricochets and bounces off the stick of an unsuspecting Islanders player with his back to the play and his eyes firmly focused on the ceiling tiles, and miraculously, it angles on goal and slips under the pads of an unsuspecting goalie.

These awesome scoring opportunities could be part of the problem. Maybe.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Honestly, we could use one more top end player in net AND on D, as well as another impact forward.

We're close. Just 3 players away.:thumbu:
We're only a Carey Price, PK Suban and Alex Ovechkin away from being really competitive.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I'm more worried about the hole JT's departure would create vs the hole Jaro's departure would.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know why everyone is concerned with upgrading the 2nd line C spot, or winger for JT, or the defence when the real problem is goaltending...
Thoughts...​
The real problem is that the Isles have one elite player. If you make a list of the top 100 players in the league, JT would make the list and Leddy might sneak in towards the end. That's it. Contending teams have multiple guys on such a list. So, non-elite goaltending would be okay if they had more elite forwards or defense. But they don't. Everything is meh. The real problem.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The real problem is that the Isles have one elite player. If you make a list of the top 100 players in the league, JT would make the list and Leddy might sneak in towards the end. That's it. Contending teams have multiple guys on such a list. So, non-elite goaltending would be okay if they had more elite forwards or defense. But they don't. Everything is meh. The real problem.

Mediocre roster.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The season just started. the sample size is too small and the problem the team is having this year (TO ME) is the same as last. It's building chemistry which is why Ladd and Chimera too ages to convert, but now they seem (for all intents and purposes) fine.

With Barzal in there, learning to play with the others and different D combos etc etc..it will take about 25% - 50% of the season to kick it into high gear. The key is to hold onto a decent position (standings) until they are able to jump out of the gate every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad