The problem is...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Next year is going to suck if they can't get a starter. The Greiss contract is another awful Snow Special. It might be unpopular, but I'd go after Fleury.

I don't mind having Greiss with his contract, I just want a legitimate starter to play with him...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I'm more worried about the hole JT's departure would create vs the hole Jaro's departure would.

That goes without saying, personally I think JT resigns...
Which still leaves us with a career backup goalie as the best option in net baring a trade...

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Honestly, even if JT resigns, are you happy with Greiss and Soderstrom next year???

I'm not the biggest Greiss fan in the world, but I don't know who is available that is an upgrade. I'd personally rather keep Halak than Greiss.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
It's still too early, but 3 main issues I see:

1. The power play hasn't been good enough (duh).
2. Goalies haven't been good enough (league average 5 on 5 SV%).
3. Faceoffs haven't been good enough (league average 5 on 5 FO%).

I don't think #3 will get better this year with Barzal and some combination of Nelson or Beau taking a half of our draws. I think we can overcome this if it stays at league average, though.

For #2, getting rocked in opening night certainly skews this with the small sample size, but the eye test shows both goalies have been pretty sub par. I think this will get better as well.

For #1, this is definitely a scary piece. It's not like we are getting unlucky. Sure, we aren't getting lucky either, but luck won't work over an 82 game season. It's scary that so many elements of it look like garbage. The entry is terrible. The movement when we are in the zone is non-existent. The personnel set up is all in the wrong spots. And the execution of any type of plan is trash. This absolutely has to get fixed for the team to overcome some of its other weaknesses. We could be 3-1 if we could score a damn PP goal.

Again, all small sample sizes, but the other stats are all positive and reminiscent of the 2014-15 team that looked good all year and were mostly dominating every game in terms of possession. We are top 10 in SAT%, USAT%, ZS%. We are outshooting and outchancing (and this includes getting destroyed in game 1). And this is with a pretty tough schedule -- I'm not seeing this posted much. 3 games in less than 4 nights to start the season, including STL and CBJ, and then a West Coast trip. Even the West Coast trip is tough on us this year going from Anaheim and then up to SJ and then back to LAK back to back. Then back to the east coast to play the Rangers at MSG. Not making an excuse here, all teams have tough patches and they need to overcome them and pick up points -- but I'm just factoring it into the initial analysis.

Lastly, outside of the goalies, three players are playing far below their expectations: Tavares, Leddy, and de Haan.

Tavares needs to be a lot better, period. He was terrible in Anaheim and has barely generated chances in most of the games he's played. He's been bad.

Leddy just doesn't seem like a difference maker on offense and frankly, I don't think he ever will be. He desperately needs a #1 defenseman ahead of him on the roster -- someone to take the attention and pressure off of him on the offensive side. He's more of a sneak attack type of player rather than a control the game and eat minutes type of player. And he is definitely not a PPQB. With the current personnel, the team needs to run the power play through a playmaker on the half wall and put someone who can shoot on the point. Leddy can't shoot and he can't create while standing still. I think Pulock is the shot answer but not the QB answer, and currently a liability mostly everywhere else. I'd like to see Tavares or Barzal set up on the half wall to QB (on their correct side god forbid), and look for options. Boychuk can rip it with Lee in front. Eberle can roam and make space, including below the goal line, as he's one of the only one's on our team that has the vision and hands to do it. And they really need to think about setting up Beau in the faceoff circles to blast one timers on seam passes (as opposed to the Boychuk screen shots). This gives us numerous options, and we never see the Beau play from this team. So many goals are created by that shot going in on its own or the side-to-side havoc it creates for the defense and goalie even if it is saved or blocked. Lee can clean up in front and Tavares can live on the opposite wall to bang in rebounds kicked out further.

de Haan just looks like a #7 defensman right now. Not just terrible for him and what we saw last year., but just terrible in general. If I put a tinfoil hat on, it almost looks like he threw the game against CBJ. He was downright awful and hasn't gotten much better since. He needs to pick his game up, quickly.

Way too early to draw too many conclusions, but I think this team is all what we thought it was: a middle of the pack playoff bubble team. The biggest issue facing this team is that after decades of losing and being clouded with doubt and ineptitude, any initial turbulence means doom for this team. Pittsburgh can let up a touchdown and a field goal in game 1 and be fine -- they have an above average team and know how to win. NYI can lose 4 of 5 to start the season and be toast before they are done trick-or-treating.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not the biggest Greiss fan in the world, but I don't know who is available that is an upgrade. I'd personally rather keep Halak than Greiss.

Th best ufa's are Lehtonen, Ward and Lack...

I like Greiss but the tandem next year can't be him and Soderstrom or any of the above...

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Snow shouldn't have given $3.3M to Greiss. Another overpay.
Griess got going rate for a goalie of his caliber, he is better than a backup but probably not a starter. They do have Soderstrom coming over next year but who knows if he is ready. The problem right now is the power play, its killing them as with a decent power play they might be 3-1 right now. The problem is they have a kid in Pulock who could help but they obviously dont trust to play a regular shift on D right now, that and the D has been ok in the last three games after banishing Seidenberg to press box so who would come out for Pulock anyway. They also need JT to be their best player and he was awful the other night.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Leddy just doesn't seem like a difference maker on offense and frankly, I don't think he ever will be. He desperately needs a #1 defenseman ahead of him on the roster -- someone to take the attention and pressure off of him on the offensive side. He's more of a sneak attack type of player rather than a control the game and eat minutes type of player. And he is definitely not a PPQB. With the current personnel, the team needs to run the power play through a playmaker on the half wall and put someone who can shoot on the point. Leddy can't shoot and he can't create while standing still. I think Pulock is the shot answer but not the QB answer, and currently a liability mostly everywhere else. I'd like to see Tavares or Barzal set up on the half wall to QB (on their correct side god forbid), and look for options. Boychuk can rip it with Lee in front. Eberle can roam and make space, including below the goal line, as he's one of the only one's on our team that has the vision and hands to do it. And they really need to think about setting up Beau in the faceoff circles to blast one timers on seam passes (as opposed to the Boychuk screen shots). This gives us numerous options, and we never see the Beau play from this team. So many goals are created by that shot going in on its own or the side-to-side havoc it creates for the defense and goalie even if it is saved or blocked. Lee can clean up in front and Tavares can live on the opposite wall to bang in rebounds kicked out further.

From an outsider's perspective, Leddy to me doesn't seem to be a great offensive defenseman. He seems to excel as a transition guy, but isn't that great when the puck is actually in the offensive zone. He'll get his points because of his ability to move the puck in transition, as well as because he's a fixture on the top PP unit. But I don't know if he's necessarily a natural in the offensive zone like most of the PP QBs around the league are at generating chances once set up in-zone.

Reactions: Svengoolie

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I agree. Leddy doesn't seem to have a high offensive IQ to QB a PP. His decision making on the point doesn't look natural. His shot is avg., passing avg., vision avg. Better suited for second pairing.

Reactions: dood and Svengoolie

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
From an outsider's perspective, Leddy to me doesn't seem to be a great offensive defenseman. He seems to excel as a transition guy, but isn't that great when the puck is actually in the offensive zone. He'll get his points because of his ability to move the puck in transition, as well as because he's a fixture on the top PP unit. But I don't know if he's necessarily a natural in the offensive zone like most of the PP QBs around the league are at generating chances once set up in-zone.

Agreed (as I think you were agreeing with me). He's a transition player.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
PP is the biggest issue. It's to hard to lose the special teams battle and then have to make up the difference through 5 v 5 on a nightly basis.

Outside the PP I see some positives in this team. Other then the CLB game I think you could make an argument they were the better team in every game. The first period in ANH was one of the better in a long time (minus the first minute). I think the D has looked pretty good. We are generating opportunities; just can't score. Barzal is as advertised. JHS provides another weapon. Eberle looks way better then imagined.

Need to clean up the mistakes, make another save, and find a couple goals. All possible. I'm quietly opportunistic that good results are to come.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Let's not try to over simplify the issues with the Islanders and just come up with one answer. Getting Martin Brodeur from 1995 isn't going to solve the PP issues. There are multiple things to fix, but of course improving anything is a good start as everything effects everything....

• Make a key save...Team gets lifted
  • Win a faceoff...Team has more possession
  • Score a PP goal...Lifts the team
  • Score a shorthanded goal...Deflates the other team

There is no one problem right now - There are several because overall you're looking at a very average team based on the 30 in the league. Nothing is really good enough to be true Cup contenders and everything needs various levels of improvement. Again this all comes down to the GM who is responsible for everything, but when you have an average GM, stands to reason you're going to have average results. That is why I believe until snow is replaced we're going to continue to have more threads about what's wrong with the Islanders as opposed to what's right.

Reactions: redbull

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Garth Snow has been and will remain the problem.

So obvious. He's not the worst GM in the league, but he's nowhere near what you need from a GM if you want to win the Cup - And that's all I care about.

The frustrating thing is that regardless if Tavares stays or goes, a handful of fans will justify Snow staying when we've basically wasted the first 8 years of JT's career...And may lose him for nothing basically making the entire rebuild a total waste of time should it happen.

Reactions: redbull

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Staple raised a good issue we haven't really brought up, lack of offense from the defense

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
The power play can be fixed with adjustments...
Barzal can potentially solve the 2C problem...
The D can be fixed with some proper coaching...

But the goaltending has no solution other than a trade...
The question is for who???

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Staple raised a good issue we haven't really brought up, lack of offense from the defense

Not exactly that enlightening. We all see the struggles the D is having in their own zone. So when you can't get out of your zone/don't have possession then you can't play in the offensive zone.

Want to know what shape the D is in? It's bad now and yet when we lose de Haan next year to FA it's going to be worse.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The power play can be fixed with adjustments...
Barzal can potentially solve the 2C problem...
The D can be fixed with some proper coaching...

But the goaltending has no solution other than a trade...
The question is for who???
LOL. The goaltending situation is set for the year. Give it a rest.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
periferal on a roll today.

Any average team can be dissected with several things not working in any given game or stretch of games. That's why they are average teams. There's a lot of parity in hockey and although the gap between best and worst seems narrow, especially when you exclude the top 3-4 and bottom 3-4 teams.

Isles are not a great team. If all goes well, they can maybe make the playoffs.

Each game will have some flaws and some highlights. When we win, we'll focus on the highlights and when we lose it'll look like it's all gone to hell - and it's neither, it's somewhere in the mediocre.

Garth Snow had EIGHT YEARS since bottoming out to build a contending team, with enough top picks to be the envy of almost all other GMs and a franchise player, a centre, who's been a perfect player and leader for this team, never complaining even though he's been a superstar with zero support compared to other superstars in this league.

Take Tavares out and what's left? Take Stamkos off TBay and what was left? Karlsson from Ottawa?

We've gone through waves of "what if" and "if this guy steps in and...." and "if this guy can stay healthy" and "if this coach played these lines" - and yet, here we are. The guy driving the bus is why we're lost right now.

We cannot ask Ho-Sang to play like a 3-4 year veteran, he'll continue to make terrible mistakes and turn the puck over. Beauvillier will be better in 2 years, but not now. Barzal plays like he's in junior, he'll be much better after a year or two - for now, growing pains. Our defense is the definition of average, at best. Superlatives are limited to "he's not bad" or "i didn't notice him, and that's a good thing" - that's what deHaan, Hickey, Pelech, Mayfield and Boychuk are. And in Pulock, let's not pretend he's the next Al MacInnis, it's too bad he isn't better than he is - but he's not.

It's all on Snow. He's accountable for all the decisions leading us to this day.

Sadly, I think it's better for the franchise to fire Snow today, even if it means losing Tavares. I've seen what the Leafs have done with new direction and leadership at the top and yes, they got Matthews, but that team is far more than just him.

Maybe this team will get it all together, they've looked amazing in spurts, awful in others, but I suspect what we see is what we'll get. Ups, downs, disappointment with a sprinkle of hope. And excuses from the top. Maybe a new arena in 3-4 years.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
periferal on a roll today.

Any average team can be dissected with several things not working in any given game or stretch of games. That's why they are average teams. There's a lot of parity in hockey and although the gap between best and worst seems narrow, especially when you exclude the top 3-4 and bottom 3-4 teams.

Isles are not a great team. If all goes well, they can maybe make the playoffs.

Each game will have some flaws and some highlights. When we win, we'll focus on the highlights and when we lose it'll look like it's all gone to hell - and it's neither, it's somewhere in the mediocre.

Garth Snow had EIGHT YEARS since bottoming out to build a contending team, with enough top picks to be the envy of almost all other GMs and a franchise player, a centre, who's been a perfect player and leader for this team, never complaining even though he's been a superstar with zero support compared to other superstars in this league.

Take Tavares out and what's left? Take Stamkos off TBay and what was left? Karlsson from Ottawa?

We've gone through waves of "what if" and "if this guy steps in and...." and "if this guy can stay healthy" and "if this coach played these lines" - and yet, here we are. The guy driving the bus is why we're lost right now.

We cannot ask Ho-Sang to play like a 3-4 year veteran, he'll continue to make terrible mistakes and turn the puck over. Beauvillier will be better in 2 years, but not now. Barzal plays like he's in junior, he'll be much better after a year or two - for now, growing pains. Our defense is the definition of average, at best. Superlatives are limited to "he's not bad" or "i didn't notice him, and that's a good thing" - that's what deHaan, Hickey, Pelech, Mayfield and Boychuk are. And in Pulock, let's not pretend he's the next Al MacInnis, it's too bad he isn't better than he is - but he's not.

It's all on Snow. He's accountable for all the decisions leading us to this day.

Sadly, I think it's better for the franchise to fire Snow today, even if it means losing Tavares. I've seen what the Leafs have done with new direction and leadership at the top and yes, they got Matthews, but that team is far more than just him.

Maybe this team will get it all together, they've looked amazing in spurts, awful in others, but I suspect what we see is what we'll get. Ups, downs, disappointment with a sprinkle of hope. And excuses from the top. Maybe a new arena in 3-4 years.

We really dont know how good pulock is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad