The premature "Blow It Up" thread

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
It's way too early to give up, and I still believe 35+ wins is possible, however some changes are definitely necessary. I still think we are three years away, but we will never make playoffs if we don't add some sandpaper guys. So here's my attempt at blowing it up:

- Eakins fired. Bylsma hired.

- Eberle, Roy, 2016 3rd for Simmonds

- Petry for Darren Helm

- Marincin, 2015 2nd for B. Schenn, L. Schenn, 2015 3rd.

- Yakupov, Fayne, Gernat for Myers, Stewart.

Hall - Nugent Hopkins - Simmonds
Perron - Schenn - Stewart
Pouliot - Helm - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Joensuu

Draisaitl to PA or Europe

Nikitin - Myers
Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Schenn
Ference

How would you blow it up?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Fix coaching and management before fixing the players. This is a better roster unfortunately the coach/GM don't have a clue what they're doing.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Thats not really blowing it up, you are basically trading 2 underachieving talented players when their trade value is at it's lowest.

If you really want to blow it up, trade RNH plus whatever to NEW jersey and get Adam Henrique and Larssson. I have been proposing this trade for some time now and its something that makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Henrique is exactly what this team needs, He can be your 2nd line center for the next t5 years. Henrique is going to be a much better 2nd line center than RNH a first line center. He is also a great 2 way player.

Larsson make sense simply because he has a lot of talent at a positon of need and we can afford to take a chance on him.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'd fire Eakins and MacT right now and replace them with Bylsma and Shero. Then if there is no improvement of the team players should get traded.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Honestly?
Burn it to the ground and salt the Earth it was built on.
I actually do not see this team making the playoffs in 5 years barring a miracle. Absolutely no progress in the past 5, why start now?

McDeathbyCheerios*

We should pull a Columbus, trade a star for 2/3 of a top 9.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Fire Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Scott, Carriere, Sillinger, Moores, Buchberger, Eakins, Acton, Chabot, Dellow and all of the scouts. Demote Thompson back to AHL.

Replace with actual experience and proven personnel. NO OLD BOYS. Ramsay stays.

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
Fire Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Scott, Carriere, Sillinger, Moores, Buchberger, Eakins, Acton, Chabot, Dellow and all of the scouts. Demote Thompson back to AHL.

Replace with actual experience and proven personnel. NO OLD BOYS. Ramsay stays.

Isn't Ramsay the oldest of those boys?

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
My firing line looks like this. In order:

On the chopping block - Kevin Lowe. If there was ever any doubt that he needs to go, I think that has been removed. Even if he isn't the major cause for all the problems - as many suspect - I think the perception that he is has created too big of a black cloud to be ignored. Things flared up last year and they will bubble to the surface again. The best way to truly clean the slate is by parting ways with Lowe.

On the plank - Dallas Eakins. The only reason he's lasted this long is because we swapped out so many coaches before him. The sharks are circling below and if he can't right the ship within the first 10-15 games, yet another coaching change is in order. This may not be THE solution but other coaches achieved more with lesser rosters, so his leash must be short.

On the hotseat - Core players. Yes, there has been a lot of turnover but there are some core guys that have not done much to establish themselves as winners. Although a severe lack of mentoring may be to blame, it could be time to trade away a young star. The return must be right - a stud center or top pairing D - but all options must be considered. Everyone has their whipping boy, be it Hall, Nuge, Ebs, Yak, Petry, Schultz, etc. I would move Eberle first, but again, it depends on the return.

On the backburner - Craig MacTavish. A lot of people have him in their sights but I actually would give him a bit more leash. I think his biggest mistake was hiring Eakins and, man, what a massive blunder that has turned into. But I mostly like the roster moves he's made. I'd rather see him stay on with a different coach. He's not the highest priority firing IMO. I would move out the above first.

I can't really nominate our scouts or other staffers, because I'm not sure how at fault they are. But If you address the personnel above, I'm pretty sure it would have an impact.

All that said, who effing knows? This team is so messed up.

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
It's way too early to give up, and I still believe 35+ wins is possible, however some changes are definitely necessary. I still think we are three years away, but we will never make playoffs if we don't add some sandpaper guys. So here's my attempt at blowing it up:

- Eakins fired. Bylsma hired.

- Eberle, Roy, 2016 3rd for Simmonds

- Petry for Darren Helm

- Marincin, 2015 2nd for B. Schenn, L. Schenn, 2015 3rd.

- Yakupov, Fayne, Gernat for Myers, Stewart.

Hall - Nugent Hopkins - Simmonds
Perron - Schenn - Stewart
Pouliot - Helm - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Joensuu

Draisaitl to PA or Europe

Nikitin - Myers
Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Schenn
Ference

How would you blow it up?

None of these trades are possible. Marincin for two NHL players, including a good 2C? Eberle and some dryer lint for one of the best power forwards in the NHL making 4 million a year for the next 5 years? IF the Oilers rebuild through trades and liquidation, it's going to involve risk. These trades don't -- they're fantasies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like our roster. Its all coaching and management.

Marincin is blowing the doors off of expectations and should be in this line up AND IMO might have been the difference in our first 2 losses.

Our Center depth when healthy is actually fine.

RNH is supposed to be our #1 that won't change.
Arco has stepped in and played very well.
Leon has been sheltered and played ok to date.
Gordon has been great.

Yakimov/Acton is a bit rough but I do not think the Center position is as weak as we thought.

Its our defence that is being overwhelmed.

Nikita and Fayne are not as good as we hoped. Ferrence has continued his downward trend from last year. Marincin is in the minors... Petry is being shopped. Nurse looks too raw to be in the NHL still. Hunt is absolutely terrible outside of the PP.

Goaltending has been a bit worse as well.

Fire Chabot and Eakins to start.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Keep her going for one more year! Then trade the parts and pieces that dont fit. Great draft on the way, even our management couldn't screw this one up could they?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Whatever the opposite of whatever MacT wants to do is.

RNH for Seth Jones.
Hall for Myers and Girgensons.
Eberle and Schultz for ROR.
Send Drai and Nurse down for the year. Keep everyone down in juniors/AHL while we trap the **** out of the West for a year and a half.
re-sign Petry.
Trade Klefbom for the first available young blue chip goalie.
Waive Ference, Hunt, Acton.
Fire Eakins, Acton.
Hire Keenan and ask him to trap like hell.
Hopefully luck into Eichel or McD.

two years;
ROR-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Pouliot-McDavid-Perron
Moroz-Girgensons-Purcell

Myers-Jones
Marincin-Petry
Nurse-Fayne

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Whatever the opposite of whatever MacT wants to do is.

RNH for Seth Jones.
Hall for Myers and Girgensons.
Eberle and Schultz for ROR.
Send Drai and Nurse down for the year. Keep everyone down in juniors/AHL while we trap the **** out of the West for a year and a half.
re-sign Petry.
Trade Klefbom for the first available young blue chip goalie.
Waive Ference, Hunt, Acton.
Fire Eakins, Acton.
Hire Keenan and ask him to trap like hell.
Hopefully luck into Eichel or McD.

two years;
ROR-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Pouliot-McDavid-Perron
Moroz-Girgensons-Purcell

Myers-Jones
Marincin-Petry
Nurse-Fayne
Seriously?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Keep her going for one more year! Then trade the parts and pieces that dont fit. Great draft on the way, even our management couldn't screw this one up could they?

lol you know that they definitely can.

I'll also keep saying it until the Oilers do the Oiler thing and hire him: NO. BYLSMA.

Eirhead*

Our biggest issue is how many wingers we've drafted. Eberle, Yakupov, Hall & MPS in 4 of our last 7 first rounds. You see other teams will have 9 of their 12 forwards are drafted as centers, then they just play their best forwards and move centers to the wing.

We got a team built on wingers and we wonder why our team defence sucks?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I like our roster. Its all coaching and management.

Marincin is blowing the doors off of expectations and should be in this line up AND IMO might have been the difference in our first 2 losses.

Our Center depth when healthy is actually fine.

RNH is supposed to be our #1 that won't change.
Arco has stepped in and played very well.
Leon has been sheltered and played ok to date.
Gordon has been great.

Yakimov/Acton is a bit rough but I do not think the Center position is as weak as we thought.

Its our defence that is being overwhelmed.

Nikita and Fayne are not as good as we hoped. Ferrence has continued his downward trend from last year. Marincin is in the minors... Petry is being shopped. Nurse looks too raw to be in the NHL still. Hunt is absolutely terrible outside of the PP.

Goaltending has been a bit worse as well.

Fire Chabot and Eakins to start.

Don't really agree on the centre thing; still need a vet 2C. It's by far the biggest hole.

As for the D it's hard to make any judgments since Eakins has been working his magic on the roster. Put everyone where they belong with a coach who has a clue and things would look a lot better.

I don't think it's as bad as all that. Only question is: will they pull the plug on Eakins in time to save the season or will the ride him all the way to another bottom five finish?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Don't really agree on the centre thing; still need a vet 2C. It's by far the biggest hole.

As for the D it's hard to make any judgments since Eakins has been working his magic on the roster. Put everyone where they belong with a coach who has a clue and things would look a lot better.

I don't think it's as bad as all that. Only question is: will they pull the plug on Eakins in time to save the season or will the ride him all the way to another bottom five finish?

I know its been a long time without playoff hockey and we are all sick of it, but if there is a season to tank bottom 5 this is the year.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Petry for Helm?
Even with the lack of NHL defenders on the team, sign me up. Helm would be a great addition to the team. Proven winner who earned his spot on the NHL roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad