Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse at Vegas | 01/08/19 - 10PM - MSG PLUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Only two thoughts after this one:

1) I'm ok losing 4-2 or 4-3. not blown out, and we net a few to get our guys get points. I dont like losing 2-0 or 7-1.

2) **** boys, we might actually be on track for a top-2 pick this summer.

What are the odds of this clueless FO picking another BUST with that said pick?! A rhetorical question, of course.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Langdon really struggled with the super heavyweights at times - McCarthy, Grimson, a few others.
Yup at times he would bite off much more than he could chew . If I remember correctly Grimson gave him a real bad beating . Grimson must have had an eight inch reach advantage . Give McQuaid credit...he faced it as he always does . He is likely hurt again .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Colton Orr vs Reaves.PPV. Boom.

That would be interesting on two fronts.

Orr, for as big as he was, also tended to struggle against a lot of the super heavys.

His big saving grace was the fact that he was capable of cracking a skull with a single punch.

Reaves doesn't really face that threat in today's NHL and fights with an open style that would leave him dangerously vulnerable if someone even snuck a punch in.

Could Orr can get in close enough to land the punch? Could Reaves adapt his style and be effective if he wasn't wailing away.

Neither guy is necessarily a great technical fighter, they rely on a particular attribute that overwhelms the opposition. So it would be intriguing to see how it played out.

Reactions: mrmovies779

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

Orr, for as big as he was, also tended to struggle against a lot of the super heavys.

His big saving grace was the fact that he was capable of cracking a skull with a single punch.

Reaves doesn't really face that threat in today's NHL and fights with an open style that would leave him dangerously vulnerable if someone even snuck a punch in.

Could Orr can get in close enough to land the punch? Could Reaves adapt his style and be effective if he wasn't wailing away.

Neither guy is necessarily a great technical fighter, they rely on a particular attribute that overwhelms the opposition. So it would be intriguing to see how it played out.
I would certainly pay to see it.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York

I think the helmets and visors also give these guys a sense of security in these bouts.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the helmets and visors also give these guys a sense of security in these bouts.

It's the same argument that was made when helmets and pads really became a thing in the late 70s and early 80s. It added a sense of recklessness to the sport.

You could probably make the argument that helmets to protect from head injuries actually did more to cause subsequent head injuries than other single factor.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that if Reaves faced some of the heavy weights of the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s, his career would have been cut very short.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think that if Reaves faced some of the heavy weights of the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s, his career would have been cut very short.

Not an unreasonable expectation.

His career would've been short, or he would've had to adjust.

And that's why it's hard for me to accurately gauge today's fighters, there's so few of them, and they're plying their trade post- Golden Age.

In many ways, it's like comparing today's heavyweight boxing landscape, or boxing in general, to previous decades.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He only took two short shifts after that. Although the Rangers were trying to catch up in the 3rd so giving more TOI to 22 and 77 would make sense.
20182019-20666-shiftchart.png

Ouch he played after that punch? Not good.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yea exactly, and the story of his Rangers career so far is exactly what happened on that last goal. He makes a nice play to Boo Nieves wide open in front of the net. Then Boo f***s it up (goes off his face I think), yet HE ends up getting the assist, rather than DeAngelo, whose play made the goal happen (Boo should have scored anyway, but he has awful hands). Agree that his emotions get the best of him. Such a shame. Talented hockey player, but he needs to calm down a bit.
Perfect example of what i wish for the league to change how they do the scoring. Delegate that authority to the official scorer on who he deems DESERVES the assists. In another scenario.... does Hank deserve an assist by dropping off the puck to Pionk going all the way, just because he touched it?
A double deflection, a guy gets an assist. What about the 2 nice passes BEFORE the actual shot?

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Reaves fights all out.

He's the best fighter in the NHL and it's really not even close.

Though I do wonder how he would've fared against someone like Laraque, or even someone like Kocur or Twist who you do not want to fight an open style with.

It's so hard to judge a lot of today's top heavyweights because of how the sport's changed. So some guys who get recognition, would not have been top guys in certain eras (Lucic). Other guys, like Reaves, would've been dangerous in any era, but may have struggled against guys who really had the fighting down to a science, or in an era when there was more than 1 or 2 guys in the entire league who gave you legitimate concerns about your health and well-being.

But in terms of how he punches, it's really nothing new. We've just become so conditioned to not see it anymore because we don't have the Twists, Kocurs, etc. like we used to.

The time Shanahan gave it to Brashear at MSG (NYR/WSH) is one of the more heroic moments I’ve ever seen. All heart.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Better find a church and pray for this team. But seriously, Dolan, even better find a good coach, Joel Quenneville is available, you missed out on getting him couple of times, looks like you will miss out this time as well.
Might sound crazy but, wouldnt it have made more sense in hiring Quinn as Hartford coach and say Q....... for the Rangers?
Quinn coaching Chytil, Howden, Lias down there in what should become a winning atmosphere for a couple to 3 years and then bring them up (with Quinn) when ready?
We really let AV off the hook. He should have been held responsible for this and suffer like we all are now.
He's even getting paid to do nothing......right?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Brashear was such a tough guy to embrace, even when he wore a Rangers jersey.

Too much history there, and the fighting style didn't win many fans even in those circles.

I remember the Rangers tried sending him out to meet and greet fans and it was just DOA.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I was there that game. It was my birthday.

The building was shaking it was so great.

I think the last time I went to a game was that season, Shanny ended it in OT against MTL..(we just were not beating them back then, they f***ed us up every time we met back then)... Whatta game - in the blue seats which were extra racist and insane that night, crazy time. ‘07 ‘08? ‘09?! No idea.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Brashear was such a tough guy to embrace, even when he wore a Rangers jersey.

Too much history there, and the fighting style didn't win many fans even in those circles.

I remember the Rangers tried sending him out to meet and greet fans and it was just DOA.
Yeah because he literally just broke Blair Betts’ face in the playoffs a few months prior. I’ll never forget that dirty cheap play, go watch this clip, the asshole chants from the crowd, the MSG crowd isn’t the same anymore. Brashear is a really bad person, he got arrested a few years ago in Canada for trying to run an opposing player over with his car. I’ll never forget when we let Orr walk and signed this clown. I actually rooted for Orr against him even though he was wearing a Rangers sweater when they fought.

Last edited:

EEDAWGZ

Feb 14, 2010
Queens,NY
I think people are more upset that a lot of players got worse and the prospects look underwhelming(not accounting for age and what not).

People expected Chytil to light the world on fire, we clearly over hyped him on the board.
Lias is still in the AHL despite being "the most NHL ready prospect in the draft"
Buch doesn't seem to be taking the next step in his development.
Zucc has lost a step
Shattenkirk looks like hot garbage
Smith is still garbage
Both the dman adds are non-factors taking time away from ADA
and i'm sure some people thought hajek would make the team this year

Happens every year , in the past two decades only two prospects lived up to their hype on these boards , McDonagh and Krieder

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think people are more upset that a lot of players got worse and the prospects look underwhelming(not accounting for age and what not).

People expected Chytil to light the world on fire, we clearly over hyped him on the board.
Lias is still in the AHL despite being "the most NHL ready prospect in the draft"
Buch doesn't seem to be taking the next step in his development.
Zucc has lost a step
Shattenkirk looks like hot garbage
Smith is still garbage
Both the dman adds are non-factors taking time away from ADA
and i'm sure some people thought hajek would make the team this year

I think we did overhype Chytil but hes still going to be a very good player. I actually thought Hajek earned a spot on the opening roster. As far as Claussen,hes been our most consistant dman, and mcquaid hasnt hurt us but ideally hes your 3rd pair but do to Smith, Shattenkirk and DeAngelo failing to make a difference he isnt. I expected us to be here, I cant believe anyone would expect otherwise. As far as Lias goes, his biggest problem is fixable much like Boyle and Hayes got their skating fixed he can too. Everything else about him is fine but he seems a little bit behind and maybe trying to do too much. The rebuild is actually going great especially if we end up with a top 3 pick and maybe another 1st or 2 in this draft. I cant complain. If they could rid themselves of 1 or 2 of Staal, Smith or Shattenkirk it would be a huge win.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The fact McQuaid went toe-to-toe with Reaves and really held his own until he was trying to get his elbow pad off was impressive. I knew he could fight, but not like that. There was no hesitation, he was throwing bombs and really connected on more than just a couple. A team like Toronto I am sure will take notice. Maybe Buffalo. Anyone in the East who has to play Washington is going to look at that and say, there's an answer to Wilson. Let McQuaid go after him and play a hard grinding style on our back-end

Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Happens every year , in the past two decades only two prospects lived up to their hype on these boards , McDonagh and Krieder
That’s the thing, the hype. Gauging success against their highest potential, not against their draft positions.

Pavel Buchnevich: At age 23, he has all but solidified his role of, at worst, a scoring 2W. 75th overall. If you got that kind of value out of every draft pick, you’d have a contending team within a handful of years. Even in a success case like this, it still wasn’t until 4-5 years after his draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad