Not open for further replies.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets are 1st in division
2nd in conference
3rd in league
Wheeler is tied for 7th overall in the points race.
Helle is tied for 1st in winning %, 7th in GAA and is tied for 3rd for most wins.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nice to see Chiarot and Poolman playing so well, for the injured Buff and Enstrom. Shows you how much depth we have and what a good job the scouting people have done. It looks as though we could go with these 2 guys and not miss a beat.

Nice win over the Oil, considering they have the best player in the world !!!

Happy new year to everyone :)

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Is this for the full season?

If so how the hell did the Jets manage to pull themselves from being the worst shot metric team in the NHL to this?

Wait.... *Checks the roster..... Matthieu Perrault, Adam Lowry....

I know this sounds crazy but, I think the Jets are better equipped to handle the Chef injury than they would be loosing either of those guys for 2 months.

Oh yeah... The score effects and continual use of raw Corsi at the start of the season probably had something to do with it too.

Reactions: Flair Hay

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Chevy and the scouts deserve huge credit for assembling this team and finding the talent that gives us so much depth.
We could be a contender for many years to come.
Well done Chevy!

Well said Turtle !!! and so very true about what you say about Chevy. Along with having a keen eye for talent --he's really kept the contract signings "reasonable". This will allow us to keep our "depth talent" and not lose them because we're over the Cap.Again I say-"great job " Chevy--we have a real winner of a GM in Winnipeg. !!!

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Perhaps my favorite thing about the positivity thread has been to allow me to appreciate some of the HF Jets regular posters whom I thought were much happier watching us loose so they could bitch.

I was wrong about a number of people whom I thought thrived on the negativity.... I was right about a couple others but that's not the point.

Happy new year's everyone. Fun season to be a Jets fan. Even more fun to share it with you folks.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If so how the hell did the Jets manage to pull themselves from being the worst shot metric team in the NHL to this?

I know this sounds crazy but, I think the Jets are better equipped to handle the Chef injury than they would be loosing either of those guys for 2 months.

Oh yeah... The score effects and continual use of raw Corsi at the start of the season probably had something to do with it too.
Yes, this is season to date.

I think score effects evened out, Perreault and Lowry have been beasts, and Scheifele and his line have improved their overall play.

Still, it's pretty unusual for CF% not to be predictive of future CF%, even with a 10-20 game sample at the beginning of the season. I think the Jets took a while to really start clicking and they now have the system and their lines humming.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Yes, this is season to date.

I think score effects evened out, Perreault and Lowry have been beasts, and Scheifele and his line have improved their overall play.

Still, it's pretty unusual for CF% not to be predictive of future CF%, even with a 10-20 game sample at the beginning of the season. I think the Jets took a while to really start clicking and they now have the system and their lines humming.

Then again the Oilers, Habs and Canes were some of the best CF% teams at the start when we were among the worst.

They haven't really picked it up. Strange times we are living in regarding fancy stats. Maybe everything isn't as it seems.... Or maybe goaltending is the ultimate equalizer.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Then again the Oilers, Habs and Canes were some of the best CF% teams at the start when we were among the worst.

They haven't really picked it up. Strange times we are living in regarding fancy stats. Maybe everything isn't as it seems.... Or maybe goaltending is the ultimate equalizer.
It must have been tough for PMo to insert so many rookies (10-11) into the lineup for three years, like last year they almost wrote the year off to give Helly the experience he needed. Now Helly is making the coach look good but that is not before a few bumps in the road and allowing for experience and that mustve not been easy. I really like how the organization told PMo insert all these rookies and we will stick with you thru those tough times and allow you to see the wins come to fruition. The patience has finally paid off and I like everything about the Jets right now! We are one good hockey team and I would not want to play us come playoff time.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

We are pretty freakin deep at C now. I think we have about 15 guys between the Jets/Moose that you could call natural C. Almost half of them could play it at the NHL level imho. To your point, I suspect that PM considers 85 and 17 to be his two most useful F, even if not the best.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
December was a shaky month, some big wins over top teams like Vegas, Nashville and St.Louis, and then some stinkers in Detroit, against Chicago and the Islanders.

The month felt like it was going to be hard to manage a .500 record, but we ran the table, winning the last 3, to give us a 8-5-2 record.

We handled the absence of Buff and Toby extremely well. Poolman has continued his very steady play, and Chairot has been actually pretty steady himself. They are keeping it simple, and now that Poolman is gaining confidence he is starting to branch his play out, getting involved in the rushes more.

Can’t say enough about Wheeler filling in at the C position, we haven’t skipped a beat through 3 games. Connor is blossoming into a top line player, driving the play, making plays, he is having a hell of a rookie season at the mid mark. Won’t surprise me to see him challenge in the Calder race in the second half. He is gaining confidence by the minute, and getting stronger every shift.

Hats off to True North, top to bottom. They painfully stayed the course, and we are now enjoying the fruits of this labour. We are not a house of cards, no this was built foundation first, strong and stable able to support and hold for a long time.

Structurally we have talent at all levels of this organization, and we can remain patient in developing them. This organization is becoming a hockey factory, solid drafting and excellent development of these assets, gives us amazing value for our picks.

We have a ways to go this season, but we are handling adversity well so far, and are entering an easier part of the schedule that should help lessen the blow of the Scheifele injury.

Happy New Years to all the positive posters on this forum. We stood behind this team through the hard times, and can smile now that the wins are verifying what we always knew, we had the makings of a pretty damn good team.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Lots to be positive about!

Having Matthias and Dano go straight from the pressbox to score the game opening goals two games in a row shows what kind of depth the Jets have up front.

Having Poolman and Chiarot step in competantly for Buff and Enstrom has been something no one would dare expect of them.

And huge shout out to Helly. The Jets most improved player this year is also the most important player on the team. A bonified #1 starter for the first time in frnachise history and he's only 24!

The farm team goes from embarassment last season to top dogs and has some serious talent developing that could step into the NHL at any time.

Stanley, Vesalainen, and Foley took leaps this season and will challenge for spots sooner than later.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
Yesterday I bought a pair of tickets for my wife and I to go to the Cavalia show later this year (we also went the first time is was in Winnipeg - it makes her happy and it's a pretty good show).

The dates are late May and early June. So I picked June 2. Shortly after completing the transaction, I realized that this would be during the Stanley Cup Finals. And I panicked a bit - What if this interferes with a Jets game in the SCF?

And then I smiled.

Having these positive feelings at this advanced point in the season is new to me.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Grateful for the winning season
Notice the tank threads have started in other team forums for the Dahlin sweepstakes

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yea at first I thought Connor fit nicely on the top line as a good third wheel. Is it just me or is he starting to drive that line more and more as the games go by?

I doubt that its just you. KC can deflect shots with the best of them. His quickness is moving that line nicely at present.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Leadership and trust have been the brightest spots for me. The coaching staff trusting the young players to carry a heavier load, the players trusting the system and each other, led by Wheeler busting his ass night in night out.

Oh, depth and talent has played a pretty big role too :)

Reactions: YWGinYYZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad