Pre-Game Talk: The playoffs are coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
So with Toronto taking it to Tampa tonight, we're 7 up on Toronto and 9 on Tampa and Boston. Tomorrow is now the biggest game of the season to this point. Win and we're 8 or 9 clear of 2nd with 12 games to go. Lose in regulation and it's as low as 5 with another game against Toronto.

Not many excuses either. They'll have an AHL goalie in on the 2nd of a traveling back to back
That AHL goalie looked really good last night taking bombs from Kucherov and Stamkos. I wouldnt be so confident about it, he was very solid. I think scoiting is suggesting right now to nlock his view and get in close to him, he was easily taking shots from Tampa as routine saves.

Last edited:

needforspeed

Mar 20, 2021
The good thing about going into playoffs is that we can absolutely beat any team we are facing, heck we might even be the favourites in most of the match-ups

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Toronto is peaking at the right time

Hilarious that people are down talking them cause of previous exits.

Hell, they have more experience than us and we have gone just as far when we do make it.

Their PP will obliterate our PK
Mathew is scary good in front of the net, he scored 3 last night and could hve been 5, we need Gudas to give him the bussiness very early and repeatly, he needs a defenseman like an inch away from him.

Last edited:

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Good test for the Panthers.... we have been playing pretty mediocre against "lesser" teams since the TDL, and downright bad when we last played the Leafs. Hope they get up to play this game and stop with allowing bullshit first goal of the game.

Reactions: Panteras

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Man, I hope you are right. I’m so tired of the doom and gloom.
While we are far from perfect. We are the best we have even been.

So some people are afraid of playing other teams. I get it.
But what teams really want to play us?
I wouldnt say is Doom and Gloom right now, this is the point of the season where one can give a more accurate perspective using stats and momentum. It also helps to watch the other teams games to give you a better sense of reality, right now, honestly, we are one of many good teams, and in the East is even worse, A playoffs round is a very short span to bounce back from a couple of bad games.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
As much as I love the Marchment-Lundell-Reinhart line I’m starting to really warmup to the idea of at least trying Huberdeau-Giroux-Reinhart, keep the first line as is, stack that second line, gives us a really strong top-6 with Barkov, Huberdeau, Giroux, and Reinhart all there.

Lundell and Marchment would still be together on the 3rd, Lomberg and Hornqvist together still on the 4th, then just a matter of inserting Bennett and Loustarinen/Acciari.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Acciari was eased back in after his injury, but he was back on the PK recently.

Bruno uses 3 pairs generally Barky Lundy Huby Benny Luo and now Acciari/Lombo
Isn't G getting some PK time too? Makes sense for the face-off as well

Reactions: Chaos2k7

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Lundell is the key to our success. if he is healthy I feel everything else falls into place. he is arguably our best pker. solidifies our lines defensively and scoring... Ekblad coming back seems to kinda important too..

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Toronto was good yesterday BUT on the other hand, Tampa played very poor defense. For example, Matthews’ redirection goal was a complete breakdown, both D were in lala land and Stamkos, who had ample time to correct the defense by skating to Matthews didn’t take a stride until he realized “oh shit he’s open” and tried to catch up in vain.

We are poor enough defensively that Toronto may well blow us out too, BUT if the coach makes some adjustments defensively, we can make it hard for Toronto. We need to limit their goal mouth presence, we need to be physical, Bob must be sharp, and most of all, everyone needs to skate their asses off all game.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Toronto was good yesterday BUT on the other hand, Tampa played very poor defense. For example, Matthews’ redirection goal was a complete breakdown, both D were in lala land and Stamkos, who had ample time to correct the defense by skating to Matthews didn’t take a stride until he realized “oh shit he’s open” and tried to catch up in vain.

We are poor enough defensively that Toronto may well blow us out too, BUT if the coach makes some adjustments defensively, we can make it hard for Toronto. We need to limit their goal mouth presence, we need to be physical, Bob must be sharp, and most of all, everyone needs to skate their asses off all game.
If you noticed, Mathew also tends to stay away from the play similar to Stamkos, I think an adjustment would be to have someone following Mathew around and making it impossible to make a play or shoot, then I think we stand a good chance, and for the first time in awhile, please, lets score the first goal. I am asking for a friend.

Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
If you noticed, Mathew also tends to stay away from the play similar to Stamkos, I think an adjustment would be to have someone following Mathew around and making it impossible to make a play or shoot, then I think we stand a good chance, and for the first time in awhile, please, lets score the first goal. I am asking for a friend.
And, as pointed out by the play by play guy on NHL network (I think), Matthews has a slick shot in that he glides the puck with it stick blade like everyone except at the last second pulls the puck in 6-12inches or pushes it out the same amount, changing the angle for the goalie enough, takes the shot, and some/most goalies don’t adjust quick enough. Other players do it too but Matthews does it more/wider. So our D needs to simply keep his angles bad and stop/block his shot as much as possible.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
And, as pointed out by the play by play guy on NHL network (I think), Matthews has a slick shot in that he glides the puck with it stick blade like everyone except at the last second pulls the puck in 6-12inches or pushes it out the same amount, changing the angle for the goalie enough, takes the shot, and some/most goalies don’t adjust quick enough. Other players do it too but Matthews does it more/wider. So our D needs to simply keep his angles bad and stop/block his shot as much as possible.
I was listening to the explanation myself, Ovechkin and Stamkos score with bombs, Mathew is more cerebral about it.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Yup so let’s have Gudas take out his brain.
I just had the talk with Gudas, we are on the same page. He said that he will get the message to Chiarot with a secret handshake.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Playoffs gonn be short with the way we play

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Like some have said, Toronto is peaking at the right time and we havent played our best 60mins of hockey every gameday. This is a huge game to slow Toronto down and legitimize our place atop the east. I really pray we dont lay a stinker tomorrow

I think we can say it’s done now. We’ll finish first in the east.

We’ll play Washington in the first round.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Isles lost. Capitals are almost a lock at this point to be WC2.

IMO, Washington is the weakest of the 8 teams in the very strong Eastern playoff group, and I like how Florida matches up against them. Panthers now must aim to win enough games to take that first seed.

Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad