The players should fire Bob Goodenow - hire Brian Burke and hockey is back next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The players need a voice of reason, a person that is respected by both sides and a person that has the experience and ability to do the Executive Director's job without neglecting the good of the game and the wellbeing of ALL OF HIS PLAYERS = BRIAN BURKE
:handclap: :handclap:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
This is a dumb thread.
They might aswell hire Gary Bettman.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why not fire Bettman too? Oh wait, I forgot, you're not an objective thinker in this lockout. God forbid Bettman does something wrong. :rolleyes:

Lanny MacDonald*

eye said:
The players need a voice of reason, a person that is respected by both sides and a person that has the experience and ability to do the Executive Director's job without neglecting the good of the game and the wellbeing of ALL OF HIS PLAYERS = BRIAN BURKE

I think we all know you are pro-owner. There is no doubt about it. But do you have to keep throwing these inane thread starters up here every day? Really?

On to the topic, if I were the players I would turf Greedenow. I think the game has passed him buy and he is not in tune with the economic realities of the game or the world. I would bring in a new guy, likely a high powered agent, if I could convince one to take the job. The guy has to be respected and needs to be in touch with the real world. He also has to be a progressive thinker and a great communicator. He has to be likeable and not perceived as a snake. To me there is only one man for the job, if he would take it. That's Rich Winter.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
I think we all know you are pro-owner. There is no doubt about it. But do you have to keep throwing these inane thread starters up here every day? Really?

On to the topic, if I were the players I would turf Greedenow. I think the game has passed him buy and he is not in tune with the economic realities of the game or the world. I would bring in a new guy, likely a high powered agent, if I could convince one to take the job. The guy has to be respected and needs to be in touch with the real world. He also has to be a progressive thinker and a great communicator. He has to be likeable and not perceived as a snake. To me there is only one man for the job, if he would take it. That's Rich Winter.

If my thread starters are so insane why respond? For the record I havn't been that impressed by Rich Winter's interviews of late.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
If my thread starters are so insane why respond? For the record I havn't been that impressed by Rich Winter's interviews of late.

#1 'inane' is a different word than 'insane'

#2 why keep starting them when they all say the same thing?

Lanny MacDonald*

go kim johnsson said:

Exactly. :clap:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:

Actually they may sound the same to some narrow minded thinkers that don't take enough time to evauate them or look a little deeper into the meaning of a thread starter but to me every topic I have posted has had a different meaning or purpose. They may be subtle but they are different. You may draw the same conclusions especially if your so entrenched into a position that you fail to consider all the underlying factors that have led me to my viewpoints.

I can say the same about almost every poster on this board these days. Everyone seems so entrenched in their position that there has been very little movement either way. Sound familiar?

This is a discussion board isn't it? Feel free to ignore if my posts bother you that much.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We all don't start threads about it. You seem like that you're on a mission to get your point across. We get it already. You don't see the rest of us starting threads and cluttering the board with dysentary of words.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
My feeling is both will get the axe in the next few years. They will be the fall guy even though Bettman is following the owners order and Goodenow is following what most of the players tell him to. It's always easier to blame someone else than yourself.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think Goodenow will be axed, because the players are going to have to accept a cap eventually.

Somebody will have to take the fall.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
JWI19 said:
My feeling is both will get the axe in the next few years. They will be the fall guy even though Bettman is following the owners order and Goodenow is following what most of the players tell him to. It's always easier to blame someone else than yourself.

Do you honestly believe that most players are telling Bob Goodenow what to do? If true why ist it that not one player has been able to explain why they won't work under a cost linkage system other than to say "we don't believe in it". This is all Bob.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
eye said:

I think you're missing the obvious here:

Why would the players hire Brian Burke? He doesn't support their agenda.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Shane said:
I think you're missing the obvious here:

Why would the players hire Brian Burke? He doesn't support their agenda.

Exactly. Burke wouldnt want to work for the players and the players wouldnt want Burke negotiating for them.

Wetcoaster

PepNCheese said:
Why does everyone think that Brian Burke is such a genius?

Based on his history I have no idea. his record as GM in Vancouver has been for the most part abysmal as the team has succeeded in spite of him.

He was the main negotiator of the 1994 CBA for the NHL and look how that turned out. He may be one of the worst negotiators ever seen (next to Pat Quinn) and manages to personalize negotiations and turn them nasty (Murray Baron, Andrew Cassels, Scott Lachance, Peter Schaefer and RJ Umberger come immediately to mind). Fortunately most negotiations were left in the hands of then assistant GM (now GM) Dave Nonis who actually did most of the GM work on the hockey operations side. This was acknowledeged at the press conference when Nonis was named GM in place of Burke.

He totally screwed up the Krutov transfer fee dispute and cost the Canucks millions. His record as GM has been poor to be charitiable and it was Dave Cobb and not Brian Burke who oversaw the financial turnaround of the Canucks. There were very good reasons that Orca Bay replaced him. If the mantra for a GM is to get rid of an overaid under-performing asset- then Orca bay simply follwed that precept in showing Burkie the door.

Mind you he thinks he is great - just ask him or his PR flack (errr idependent journalist) from the Vancouver Sun, Gary Mason. A bully and blowhard whose PR vastly overshadows his accomplishments.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eye said:
stoopid thread - burke is great but he is management - the other side - i can give a few million reason's why the player's should stick with bob for a while at least - they've made a lot more than they've lost - hello -

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
EYE....could you start your own official thread with all your Pro-owner rants? Everytime I come to the buisness section there is like half the messages by you about something negative players or pro owners. I know a Mod also told you to do this.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
eye said:
Actually they may sound the same to some narrow minded thinkers that don't take enough time to evauate them or look a little deeper into the meaning of a thread starter but to me every topic I have posted has had a different meaning or purpose. They may be subtle but they are different. You may draw the same conclusions especially if your so entrenched into a position that you fail to consider all the underlying factors that have led me to my viewpoints.

I can say the same about almost every poster on this board these days. Everyone seems so entrenched in their position that there has been very little movement either way. Sound familiar?

This is a discussion board isn't it? Feel free to ignore if my posts bother you that much.

it's not just the narrow minded pro-PA thinkers that see the same thing over and over when they read your threads, i for one have for the large part have mainly come to these threads to read responses before actually reading the thread starter.

many of us who frequent this board, whether we started out heavily pro owner or heavily pro PA have generally drifted to the general middle of the road now. we just want to see something done so we can finally see hockey again... you're one of the few who never drifted and reading the same thing day after day thread after thread gets very old. hell, for a time even DR was drifting to the middle of the road.

this is not meant as an attack or anything, just letting you know that all your threads have sounded the same, if you meant for them not to sound alike then it's all good, we all make mistakes from time to time, but 99 % of the threads you've started here DO sound the same

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Players should have listened to this sound advice weeks ago. See you all next year under a cost certainty system that pays you all about 55% of less than 1 billion in revenues and an average salary just over 1/2 million. Mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad