"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
giphy.gif

A2BU.gif

source.gif

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

If you think those are bad did you watch the Spain Iran game today? lol, I haven't seen this much diving in an Olympic high dive competition.
Bodies are flying this game and if it wasn't such a deliberate fake it would be amusing.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Iran played very well, that's a brutal way to lose against Spain - via a deflected goal by a Brazilian.
Iran played good defense. They did nothing else the entire game aside from that offsides goal they scored and had over turned.
71 minutes possession for Spain and 21 minutes for Iran.

Iran got stomped.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Iran played good defense. They did nothing else the entire game aside from that offsides goal they scored and had over turned.
71 minutes possession for Spain and 21 minutes for Iran.

Iran got stomped.

Spain had good possession. They did nothing else the entire game aside from that deflected goal that they scored. They had 5 shots on goal with 78% possession.

Of course Iran set up defensively, they'd be insane not to. They still attacked when the opportunity presented and they had a number of good scoring chances.

1-0 is not a stomp. Empty possession is nothing to be proud of.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Even Penaldo was flopping today. I wish they would get rid of the theatrics than it would be a beautiful game.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
It's pure rubbish. I appreciate the skill and endurance it takes to play and succeed at soccer but I hardly get excited for it, outside of the WC and other large international tournaments. Mainly because of that kind of nonsense.

I understand that perspective. It's still my favorite sport, but sometimes it's just brutal watching these guys act like they took a .50 cal to the chest. Same thing with the NBA.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I understand that perspective. It's still my favorite sport, but sometimes it's just brutal watching these guys act like they took a .50 cal to the chest. Same thing with the NBA.

I'll watch Premier League or international stuff over the NBA. I just can't anymore with that league. I'm a golden age guy. MJ, Magic, Bird, Stockton, Malone, etc, etc. The shit today is unwatchable. Soft, more perimeter than ever, etc.

BTW, the only people who say LeBron James is better than Jordan are A, too young to remember Jordan at all or certainly during the mid 80's through dynasty years, and B, use the misguided, "well James is so much bigger, stronger, faster, blah, blah, blah"....

Jordan was all world everywhere on the court and had the greatest killer instinct I've ever seen from any athlete, anywhere, ever (I'm well into my 30's). You think any Jordan led team would have been embarrased like the Cavs just were? Noooope. Plus the depth of talent in the 80's and 90's/very early 2000's was vastly better than the past decade. IMHO. I could go on and on, but shouldn't really need to.

Edit: BTW, I wasn't a fan of the Bulls or Jordan at all. Couldn't stand them. But damn did you simply have to respect Mike. To me, watching him growing up would have been like a older kid-younger man watching Babe Ruth in his prime.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I'll watch Premier League or international stuff over the NBA. I just can't anymore with that league. I'm a golden age guy. MJ, Magic, Bird, Stockton, Malone, etc, etc. The **** today is unwatchable. Soft, more perimeter than ever, etc.

BTW, the only people who say LeBron James is better than Jordan are A, too young to remember Jordan at all or certainly during the mid 80's through dynasty years, and B, use the misguided, "well James is so much bigger, stronger, faster, blah, blah, blah"....

Jordan was all world everywhere on the court and had the greatest killer instinct I've ever seen from any athlete, anywhere, ever (I'm well into my 30's). You think any Jordan led team would have been embarrased like the Cavs just were? Noooope. Plus the depth of talent in the 80's and 90's/very early 2000's was vastly better than the past decade. IMHO. I could go on and on, but shouldn't really need to.

Edit: BTW, I wasn't a fan of the Bulls or Jordan at all. Couldn't stand them. But damn did you simply have to respect Mike. To me, watching him growing up would have been like a older kid-younger man watching Babe Ruth in his prime.

There's certainly a strong argument to be made for LeBron, but I'm not a fan of comparing players across eras. There are too many variables so the entire exercise ends up being extremely subjective.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Spain had good possession. They did nothing else the entire game aside from that deflected goal that they scored. They had 5 shots on goal with 78% possession.

Of course Iran set up defensively, they'd be insane not to. They still attacked when the opportunity presented and they had a number of good scoring chances.

1-0 is not a stomp. Empty possession is nothing to be proud of.
They got stomped I say because they had no possession and lost. Hard to win when you never had possession. Not to mention half that possession they did have was in the defensive zone.

Spain didn't set up any good chances you are right. But for Iran to win that game they had to do much much more.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
They got stomped I say because they had no possession and lost. Hard to win when you never had possession. Not to mention half that possession they did have was in the defensive zone.

Spain didn't set up any good chances you are right. But for Iran to win that game they had to do much much more.

They were millimeters away from a draw and another inch or two away from a win with the shot that hit the side netting. They really didn't have to do that much more to win.

I understand your point regarding possession, but there is literally no other way to play Spain. They're a side that is built from the ground up to dominate possession, there are only maybe 2 or 3 teams in the world that have the ability to beat Spain at their own game. Iran played to their strengths and almost won. They deserved a point IMO.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
They were millimeters away from a draw and another inch or two away from a win with the shot that hit the side netting. They really didn't have to do that much more to win.

I understand your point regarding possession, but there is literally no other way to play Spain. They're a side that is built from the ground up to dominate possession, there are only maybe 2 or 3 teams in the world that have the ability to beat Spain at their own game. Iran played to their strengths and almost won. They deserved a point IMO.

Yeah, you're right. I don't act like I know national futbol teams strengths weaknesses and that would explain why Iran did what they did. I just comment on what I seen.

For how good Spain was with possession they really had no good chances. Iran almost tied it with that header that missed by 2-3 feet near the end there too.

Do the top two teams progress to the knockout stage or only the top team?

Reactions: Brandinho

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yeah, you're right. I don't act like I know national futbol teams strengths weaknesses and that would explain why Iran did what they did. I just comment on what I seen.

For how good Spain was with possession they really had no good chances. Iran almost tied it with that header that missed by 2-3 feet near the end there too.

Do the top two teams progress to the knockout stage or only the top team?

Top 2. The next round is the round of 16.

Reactions: shoplifter

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Jordan>Lebron

Lebron is a generational player.
Just like Jordan.

But he will never be Jordan, and I can admit that growing up during the Jordan era i may just be a little biased because as a kid he was just.... WOW.

Lebron has had big moments but I was never in aw of him like i was watching Jordan.

Last edited:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Jordan>Lebron

Lebron is a generational player.
Just like Jordan.

But he will never be Jordan, and I can admit that growing up during the Jordan era i may just be a little biased because as a kid he was just.... WOW.

Lebron has had big moments but I was never in aw of him like i was watching Jordan.
"Just wow" and "in awe" isn't a real argument.

Lebron makes his teammates better and processes the game at a level Jordan simply couldn't, on top of being possibly the greatest athlete to ever walk this earth.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Jordan dominated a better era of basketball with a good, not great, supporting cast. I think it's silly for anyone to even argue that Lebron is in Jordan's league. But people do because of recency bias and the clicks

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
"Just wow" and "in awe" isn't a real argument.

Lebron makes his teammates better and processes the game at a level Jordan simply couldn't, on top of being possibly the greatest athlete to ever walk this earth.

Ill easily concede that Jordan wasnt as much a physical specimen that Lebron is. But he wasn't lacking in that department I mean the dude dunked from the free throw line.

I will disagree though that Jordan couldn't process the game like Lebron. They both have/had super high IQ levels.

The difference is Jordan was selfish and always wanted to be the guy to take the shot regardless of whether it was the best look or not. Most of the time that being a good decision because his clutch level was off the charts.

Lebron will actually look to see what the best shot on the court is, before making his move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad