OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

That play specifically is really hard to call a fake slide, but I also get why a defender could think it's going to be one. The slide really is a nightmare when a QB is also a runner. This stuff happens so fast. Any hesitation by a D when they don't slide will make you look stupid like we did on the TD run (not saying it's why the run worked. We miss tackles without any help, but it could factor in), and going for a hit without hesitation will make you look stupid if they do slide like we did on the penalty.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
With Philly losing they now pick 20th.

One of the RT may slip to them. And puts them right in the range of the CBs. There are a host of edge rushers this draft but they don’t need one. And 20 is right about when the second group of receivers is positioned…..,

Reactions: T1K

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
People that think we just need to build the line and run the ball just don’t understand how you win in the current NFL.

But that's the problem with this coach: that is his philosophy. He believes it's still 2008 and you win with running and defense.

Everyone knows this except for the man running the team

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I know right,

Now Make that man 2 life-sized statues. Statues so big you can see them from 38,000 feet in the air

With the Lions winning a playoff game, now 23 teams have won a playoff game since Tomlin last did.

Under Tomlin, the standard has gone from model franchise to “we are better than the Browns!”

And they really aren’t, given the Browns mud stomped them in the playoffs.

Soon it will be “we are better than The Jets!”

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
While the team wholeheartedly lobbied for Tomlin, Harris also hinted at some discourse behind the scenes. Harris emphasized the coaches weren't the problem, but Harris said he wants to see changes to the team's structure and discipline.

"Obviously, this is my third year," Harris said. "I have my opinions on things, but I'm just a player. But if we want to elevate and get where we're at, there's got to be some in-house things that need to change. I feel like Coach T always tells me, 'Just play running back' -- and that's some little inside thing that we have too. But if we want to elevate and get where we are and achieve those goals that we want, we have to change some in-house stuff."

Harris elaborated when asked what needed to change.

"It's just the rules that are in the building," Harris said. "We got to be more disciplined. We got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but just coming from a place that has structure and just seeing we probably could get help in these areas. It might make a change. I think that that's something we could help. I'm not saying nothing about coaches or anything like that. I'm just saying more of just in-house rules.

"I'm just a player, but the guys in that building know what I'm talking about."

• Wow
Reactions: pistolpete11

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
To me, it’s just time to move on. I actually think Tomlin will succeed elsewhere, but it’s not working here.

It’s the same season over and over and over, and to expect anything else is Einstein’s definition of insanity.

I would rather them try to find a different coach to become a championship contender and fail; than to see them accept this as the status quo.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
To me, it’s just time to move on. I actually think Tomlin will succeed elsewhere, but it’s not working here.

It’s the same season over and over and over, and to expect anything else is Einstein’s definition of insanity.

I would rather them try to find a different coach to become a championship contender and fail; than to see them accept this as the status quo.

Yep.

I saw an interesting stat this morning ... 23 teams have won a playoff game since the last time the Steelers did. That just shouldn't be allowed with the rosters that this team has had.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
While the team wholeheartedly lobbied for Tomlin, Harris also hinted at some discourse behind the scenes. Harris emphasized the coaches weren't the problem, but Harris said he wants to see changes to the team's structure and discipline.

"Obviously, this is my third year," Harris said. "I have my opinions on things, but I'm just a player. But if we want to elevate and get where we're at, there's got to be some in-house things that need to change. I feel like Coach T always tells me, 'Just play running back' -- and that's some little inside thing that we have too. But if we want to elevate and get where we are and achieve those goals that we want, we have to change some in-house stuff."

"It's just the rules that are in the building," Harris said. "We got to be more disciplined. We got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but just coming from a place that has structure and just seeing we probably could get help in these areas. It might make a change. I think that that's something we could help. I'm not saying nothing about coaches or anything like that. I'm just saying more of just in-house rules.

I don’t even understand what the hell he’s saying.

He hints at discipline issues and rules and such, but says it’s not on the coaches.

So it’s the players fault? And they need to create player rules or wha…?

Isn’t the coach responsible for creating the culture around the team?

Reactions: Night Shift

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

He hints at discipline issues and rules and such, but says it’s not on the coaches.

I think he's frustrated and saying the truth, but also at the same time not trying to completely throw Tomlin under the bus

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I don't expect a current player to say "It's Tomlin's fault!", but this happens all the time. Fans and especially media list off a bunch of things wrong with the team that are the coach's responsibility and then follow it up with "but it's not Tomlin."

Rules in the building. Discipline. Commitment. Structure. If this isn't on Tomlin, who's it on?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think he's frustrated and saying the truth, but also at the same time not trying to completely throw Tomlin under the bus

I don’t know how else to interpret this part:

We've got to be more committed. I'm not saying that we're not, but coming from a place that has structure and coming and just seeing, we could probably get help in these areas; make a change.

That means things were buttoned up at Alabama and under Tomlin he’s see concerning issues with the culture of the team.

No idea how else to read that.

Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Foster said Tomlin always left the film studying up to individual players and position groups. Each group had a leader who enforced the film study. The o line always meet on Thursday at pouncey to watch with the rb and oc.
Ben was in charge of leading film study for QB room.
Each position group would watch with their position coaches every player watches film differently and somet watch it less.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I’m just curious what type of OC is going to want to hitch their wagon to this QB situation.
I think it's a low risk-high reward situation for an OC. The bar has been set so low that any improvement is going to be seen as "job well done" and if they continue to suck then they have the QB situation as an excuse.

Reactions: Peat and Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

"This isn't the problem, but seriously, it is the problem."

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Foster said Tomlin always left the film studying up to individual players and position groups. Each group had a leader who enforced the film study. The o line always meet on Thursday at pouncey to watch with the rb and oc.
Each position group would watch with their position coaches every player watches film differently and somet watch it less.

Whatever he’s doing isn’t working.

3-9 in his last 12 playoff games.

I’d list out the rest but everyone else knows it by heart by now… just add another +1 to the playoff win drought.

In big news, Cook, who has always been terrified to say Tomlin needs fired, just found his courage:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
But that's the problem with this coach: that is his philosophy. He believes it's still 2008 and you win with running and defense.

Everyone knows this except for the man running the team
They want to be the lions. The Lions offense is still run 1st. They have a great o line 2 good running backs and a defined pecking order Brown Laporta then Williams they give goff half field reads off of play action they were doing this with mason,

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
How teams come out of the gates...especially in the playoffs.....is a direct indication of coaching preparation, game plan, scheme, creating mismatches, taking advantage of weaknesses, element of suprise, crisp play, execution, play calling, timing, tone, edge, passion,,,,,,, etc. Etc.

The Steelers have stated their last 5 playoff games in holes real fast.

That's 115 -7 in last 5 playoff games....

Historically bad.
Unmatched.
Will NEVER be repeated.

Down 10-0 to Pats in 2016
Down 21-0 to Jags in 2017
Down 28-0 to Browns in 2020
Down 35-7 to Chiefs in 2021
Down 21-0 to Bills in 2023.

115-7.....
And the 7 points.... was a TJ defensive touchdown

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think Jones laid a finger on him either but at the same time, if the QB has eyes on the guy he needs to make the best decision he can. I don't think he did.

Okay, 3:12 on the highlights -

Pause at about 3:14, it's clear the Buffalo rusher is getting past Jones, he's about 4 yards away from Rudolph and Rudolph looks like he's looking right at him. Throw it away there and then.

Pause at about 3:14 again, just a fraction later, and the rush is now clear of Jones and you can see Rudolph shifting his weight to try and outrun him. He very clearly is aware of the problem and making moves. But it's a bad move. He can't outrun the guy. I think he has time to sling it out of bounds in the vague direction of what I think is Muth heading towards the sideline and avoid the sack, but he's never outrunning the dude.

Yeah, the OL shouldn't put him in that situation (part of me wonders if the call was for Daniels to slide over and Jones left that hole there because he didn't expect it to be a hole, but I've no way of knowing). But insofar as the QB has control over his destiny, he exercised it very poorly. Not a huge deal given his body of work today, but that one is what it is.
I can't watch the video right now, but you're reaching here, man.

He's looing downfield and expecting the 6'5" 300+lb guy standing directly in front of the defender to at least slow him down. It's a blown block. Period.

I know after watching Ben for all those years and Allen yesterday, we're used to seeing QBs get out of stuff like that, but 99% of the time that's a sack.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

And how is that approach been working for Tomlin?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Whatever he’s doing isn’t working.

3-9 in his last 12 playoff games.

I’d list out the rest but everyone else knows it by heart by now… just add another +1 to the playoff win drought.
Yeah he definitely needs a real oc so he can be the ceo of the team thst oc would handle the day to day stuff with the younger player. D

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Who built the team? Chose the QB? Called the D? Chose the strategy on O? Who coached this team to losses vs two 2-10 teams that put them in the position of going to Buffalo? Name that coach.
And really, how are they attracting an OC that anyone wants? They don't have a settled QB position. The head coach is a stone age control freak. There is going to be a lot of turnover this offseason with 8-10 head coaching jobs opening up. Even if Tomlin suddenly decided he wanted to be a 21st century coach and cast a wide net for the OC position, it's going to be really hard to get anyone worth having in this building given the circumstances.

Reactions: Andy99

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

None of us know what’s actually going on but there probably needs to be a middle ground between whatever is actually going on in that building and what Najee is referencing at Alabama.

There’s a reason that guys like Saban and Meyer are successful in college but can’t hack it in the NFL. You can’t treat 18-22 year old kids the same way you treat an NFL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad