OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
full

The Buffalo Bills are 6-6 with a +101 point diff.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are 7-4 with a -23 point diff.

Crazy.

OL and CB are the top 2 priorities and nothing is close. People bitch about Johnson and Pickens, but they are good enough to win with. Tomlinhater saying no one gets separation is amusing since DJ is among the best in the NFL at getting separation - he has issues, but that's not one of them. They need to upgrade at 3/4 from Robinson and Austin but compared to the need to replace Cole and Moore and Peterson, it's a distant 3rd at best. I'm going to need to see a few more weeks of this from Pickett (and not against the 31st ranked D in the NFL) to buy in, but if hopefully he plays well enough the focus can be on surrounding him.

Mr Hyperbole using the “best at getting separation” cliche when DJ has the lowest YPC of any leading Steelers receiver in 50 yrs is cute.

Huge difference between route running separation and running away from guys, which DJ rarely does, being a slow possession receiver avg a 50 year low 10 YPC.

Hence “getting separation and making consistent big plays”.

I know that’s tough for certain posters who exaggerate all the time to comprehend.

No one makes big plays in an offense when they've had no QB throw the ball downfield since 2018 and dipshit OC's running the show. Johnson has a lot of issues - drops, attitude, running backward, etc. - but to say he doesn't make big plays when put in an offense specifically designed to prevent them and saying he doesn't get separation when he's elite at doing it is dumb, even by your standards. But sorry - please get back to your 3820th Tomlin rant. Didn't mean to interrupt.

Diontae Johnson labeled most open receiver in NFL in 2022

He was good in coverage in college. How he blitzes is very reminiscent of the 90's Steelers teams when Lebeau came back in the fold. He's so explosive that inside zone blitzes with him would be fun to watch.

I don't think they will move him inside, though I do believe he would be outstanding there. I don't know if KP is wrecked. I think yesterday showed that he can do what he needs to do. He needs to build on that going forward. Yesterday was day 1, and it was better. We need progression weekly now.

It is truly insane how this team has been able to win. There was a stat based on offensive futility that was posted, and there were 7 teams posted - of the 7 team, I believe there was 1 win between them...and then there was the 2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. It defies all logic.

I think Johnson just won't realize his potential here. Him and KP have never been on the same page. His play yesterday encompassed everything that is frustrating about him. Has some great plays, then doesn't even attempt to run block, runs backwards after a catch, and doesn't chase down a fumble.

I've never been the biggest fan of him and I don't think he realizes his potential here.

Hilarious they put up 400 yards in the very first game without Canada. I called it (as I'm sure a lot of people did), but it was also hilarious for the first play to be a completed pass over the middle. That seemed like it was a "f*** you" to Canada from everyone involved. Canada is such a joke. He should never work in the NFL or D-1 college ever again. Just completely exposed.

That's not to say the offense was perfect. They left points and big plays out there (Johnson's TD, Warren's fumble, Pickett missing Pickens badly on what would have been a big play), but they moved the ball. Finally. Clean up a few things and they might even score 30!

Mr Hyperbole going on and on with more nonsense, yet the facts show DJ has a paltry career avg of 10.9 YPC.

It’s him. He’s slow.

That doesn’t even begin to touch on his other issues as well.

Go make another post full of your silly cliches and non-stop exaggerating trying to explain that reality away.

Do you even watch games or do you just sit and yell at your kids about how bad Tomlin is? Anyone who is actually arguing that Johnson is slow and doesn't get open clearly does not. This explains a lot, really.

They have been on the field as much as any defense in the league. If the offense can sustain Time of Possession like they were able to yesterday, the defense should get better just by not being absolutely gassed.

Do you just sit in your basement all day thinking up things to exaggerate about?

Reading comprehension goes a long way.

I said he doesn’t get separation and make consistent big plays.

That’s not hard to understand for most people, and backed by facts (career 10.9 YPC) but here you are still confused and posting links about route separation and completely clueless.

If the alternative to DJ is trading him and signing someone like Boyd, sign me the f*** up. I hate players like DJ.

If it's dump him and then use a 1st or 2nd on a WR, hard pass.

This team has focused on skill positions far too much in recent years. Time to rebuild the lines (particularly the OL), ILB, CB, and S. If they want to draft an overlooked, but talented WR in the 6th round like they did with AB, whatever, sure. But it's pretty far down on the priority list for me.

This was cincy defensive rankings not the Steelers

Steelers aren't that far off.

I don’t know if he’s wrecked and I’m not going to judge his mental toughness because he seems to be a brawler type in that sense.

I’ll have to actually see if he can overcome the incompetence he was surrounded with, and that’s a tough ask for any young QB, even the bluechips.

I just don't think they could afford taking a WR in the top 3 rounds unless a guy like Nabers drops in the 1st. He's a bonafide #1.

This has been a tough year for him, but yesterday they finally got him to a place where he is able to get into some sort of rhythm. This should get better from week to week.

4th in the redzone and 7th in scoring and have only given up 20 points 4 times they will feast on the next 5 opponents

I don't watch enough college football to know anything about him, but if he's really that good, him dropping to wherever the Steelers are likely to be picking would be a major red flag. Never say never, but I just can't imagine a scenario where I'll be happy taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd or probably even 3rd.

This draft is really deep in many positions we need. Really good players are going to drop. MLB is really the weakest position followed by IOL. There really aren't any stud centers. Really good tackle class. Really strong DB class.

that looks good to me, or am i reading it wrong?

What he was inartfully saying, I think, was that we should slow down on the optimism on the Steelers offense because Cincinnati's D sucks.

Yes they are ranked 30 in total defense we don’t play a good defense until bmore the pats are ranked 16th everyone else is 24 or lower

With a slew of bad Ds lined up it should give him a chance to rebuild his confidence, but it will only take one bad game for Yinzers to turn on him again and things to go south.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kevin Dotson and Quinn Meinerz in the top 3 guards in the NFL currently. What a botch job that's looking like.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
People like to use "imagine _____ Steelers player under Andy Reid".

Well, imagine DJ on the Chiefs. 90+ catches every year for sure. He certainly isn't remotely a perfect player but people fixating on him generally are doing so to excuse players on the team they like better.

And say what you want about Pickens, but laying out so hard you hurt yourself is something you do if you want to win. Get these guys the rock.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Kenny certainly looked better yesterday. He passed down the field and in the middle of the field. Why he did it this week versus previous weeks when there were plays to be made, I don't quite understand.......

He still needs to get better in the redzone. Throwing TDs, when the field is compressed separates good QBs from mediocre to backups. And he has struggled with it from the start. The pass to DJ was a great pass and DJ needs to hold onto the ball. I want to see more throws to the endzone from 25 yards and in. Like the throw that Love made to Reed against the Steelers. That is the type of throw he needs to make to convince me he is the long term answer. I think he did have his best day as a pro. Now let's build on that.

As far as DJ, I'm kinda done. I said I would give him this season and he has been mediocre to MR Mistake. The talent is there but the head is not. I would offer him a 1 year extension that reduces his cap hit for 2024 or I would cut him. Funny enough though, his receptions are down but his yards per reception are up, 12.8 YPC.

I do think they need to sign a WR in the offseason, I'm hoping they go after Michael Pittman, Gabe Davis or Mike Evans. If they don't sign a decent guy they definitely need to spend a decently high pick on one. Because the rest of the room is less than mediocre at best.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
DJ wouldn’t do any better on the Chiefs, because he’s f***ing slow - how hard is this to understand?

He caught 107 balls two years ago and avg 10.9 per catch because he’s… slowwww…

Him making volume catches isn’t something he hasn’t done in Pgh.

Let’s not pretend he hasn’t gotten plenty of opportunities to make plays in Pgh and he hasn’t consistently done it, despite being their X and getting the lion’s share of the targets.

Mahomes can’t make him run faster being that he’s s-l-o-w.

He can’t run away from people, because guess why?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
DJ wouldn’t do any better on the Chiefs, because he’s f***ing slow - how hard is this to understand?

He caught 107 balls two years ago and avg 10.9 per catch because he’s… slowwww…

Him making volume catches isn’t something he hasn’t done in Pgh.

Let’s not pretend he hasn’t gotten plenty of opportunities to make plays in Pgh and he hasn’t consistently done it, despite being their X and getting the lion’s share of the targets.

Mahomes can’t make him run faster being that he’s s-l-o-w.

He can’t run away from people, because guess why?

You need to talk to a therapist about this.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel pretty sure I just saw Pickett and Johnson make a big play just yesterday with that deep ball. There have been other opportunities where Johnson's burnt his guy but Pickett hasn't been throwing those balls.

I can't say I'm massively enthused about keeping him but DJ can do a lot of work here.

And in terms of his performance and whether this team needs another high pick WR... yeah, I'm not feeling it. Particularly after a day where Muth came back and acted like the number one guy. Would getting the next AJ Brown or Davante Adams (or Pickens without Pickens' headcase qualities) help? Yeah. But the OL is a bigger deal. The secondary really needs some help. The DL needs another Benton. Maybe some guys will step forwards and it'll look better elsewhere but right now that's what I see.

Oh and re this one being easy because the Bengals suck -

Yeah, true. But this team has made bad defences look good before this season.

Also interesting little nugget on some of the stuff that needs clearing up

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
The WRs don’t lack talent. The fact they’ve put up what they have given a young QB and one of the worst OC in league history is solid proof of that. They definitely need to mix up the routes. I’m tired of seeing DJ run go routes that should be run by Pickens or Pickens on a little comeback that should be run by Austin or DJ.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You need to talk to a therapist about this.

Ohs nos, dude is busting out the 8th grade rips.

Let’s ignore the asinine comment you made about a guy who has 500+ targets the last four seasons getting more opportunities with the Chiefs.

He caught 107 passes and had a historically low YPC.

The longest catch of his career is 50 yards.

Maybe next time think before you hit the post button.

Going on the Chiefs won’t gift him more targets or make him faster.

Typical Yinzer logic.

He’s a slow possession receiver that lacks focus and the explosiveness to run away from people.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Pit Dionte in SD and hes posting Allen type numbers. Whos is actually a slow reciever btw.

Imagine being so far up your own ass that the hill you want to die on is bitching about big plays about a WR half his routes
are 5 yard outs and hitches.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Najee needed a game like yesterday also. He finally looked to have some pop. He has looked totally checked out.

Dude has to find a way to get down to 220 this offseason. His career would take on a totally different light.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bobby Spillane is having a year for himself in Vegas - 105 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 4 pass defs, 3 int's.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Mary Kay Cab0t

@brownsforlife9
·
1h
Updated: Brown’s star pass rusher Myles Garrett feared to miss the rest of this season, potentially part of next season, after receiving the MRI results following the loss to Denver on Sunday. This comes after Garrett stated he “felt a pop” in his shoulder Myles Garrett: ‘I felt a pop’ in left shoulder during loss to Broncos; MRI Monday but plans to keep playing

Wow I feel really bad for Jussie Smollett

Najee needed a game like yesterday also. He finally looked to have some pop. He has looked totally checked out.

Dude has to find a way to get down to 220 this offseason. His career would take on a totally different light.

I think it was more of the type of game that Harris thrives in: a slippery track where nothing was really going to be busted outside and it favored inside man on man schemes.

On turf or nice days, Warren should still remain the featured back

Reactions: Coastal Kev

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I just think seeing Najee be engaged in the game. I have said before, Najee isn't your typical NFL RB - he's very intelligent, he knows what is going on, and he's very much a thinker. You can tell this season was really dragging him down, and h e looked to have a bit of life yesterday.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I just think seeing Najee be engaged in the game. I have said before, Najee isn't your typical NFL RB - he's very intelligent, he knows what is going on, and he's very much a thinker. You can tell this season was really dragging him down, and h e looked to have a bit of life yesterday.
Its funny you mention that because I agree he's a thinker. That's also what caps his ability to be elite. He thinks too much and doesn't have the instinct to hit holes fast enough.

He's certainly got all the tools and athleticism. But he's frustrating to me. I like him in this split duty roll. The issue is I believe he thinks he's a "Bell Cow" and should be paid as such.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A few things I noticed after Matt Canada was fired that I liked and it was clear coaching is such a hugely important thing that the Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates really don't get how it works and prefer a likeable bloke that they want to be loyal to, vs the coach that gets the most out of the team first, personalty second.

* Kenny Pickett threw more and when he was in a groove, he was playing well, the previous issues all seemed to melt away Sunday, he threw for the most yards so far this season and even that is well below what most throw.
* The running game looked good, Harris had his best game of the year so far, first 90+ yard game in since January of this year, last season.
* Diontae Johnson is not someone I have ever liked and it's clear he is a f***ing loser still and needs to just f*** off. I have never seen him as a #1 WR, he's small, drops the ball a ton and has the attitude of someone that you'd think was a star in this league but is barely a starter on most teams. He can go f*** off, that pathetic play that we all are pissed about was a clear indication that he plays for himself, not for the others on the team. f*** him and he can go f*** off.
* Offense looked good, the Good Mike Sullivan really showed what he can do with this offense and is just getting started. I think Kenny will be a lot better here on out and I am kind of excited to see that.

I still don't see Kenny as a great QB, but under a better OC, he is capable of more consistency and he started to show that in this game and it's a sign of good things. I think if you can improve at his position, you still do, but until then, I think he's capable of being better and is showing he can after Sunday's game where the clouds parted for him and he was throwing well, he was actually throwing that ball with authority and decisiveness, he still has some knee jerk reactions that he needs to be patient on and is patient when he shouldn't be, but I think it's obvious it can be coached out of him.

Whereas with Matt Canada, it seemed like we were all duped into thinking Kenny could be an adequate QB, under Good Sully, he is showing he can be better than average.

PS - DIONTAE JOHNSON SUCKS, HE'S BAD AND HE MAKES BAD PLAYS AND IS JUST A SELFISH :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Najee’s problem has always been that he doesn’t use his physicality enough. He’s had some great moments this season, but then he’ll follow it up the next game reverting back to old bad habits (trying to be Lev Bell). I hope he can build off of this game.

Our only chance of making a post season run is through the defense playing lights out and Najee/Warren running it 30 times a game effectively, controlling the play clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad