The Pittsburgher Thread - The standard is the standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Yes the purgatory is real. As soon as Mikey gets those 8 wins on the season, he’s set and is playing with house money from there on out...

Even if he went 6-10 in a season, I don’t think he’d lose his job, so he’s set.

So rooting for individual wins on the regular season, just to know that the playoffs will be an unmitigated disaster anyway makes no sense. I’d rather three 0-16 seasons in a row to get rid of him for good, than this regular season slog fest to hear about how he’s up there with Shula and Bellichick as the greatest ever...

Yeah that's the part that is nauseating...

Edit: I mean everything else you say above is pretty much too

Reactions: ColePens

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I’m a Tomlin hater resigned to reality.

As awful as he is most NFL teams would kill for a coach that can go 8-8 with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges. That’s why we’re going to be stuck in purgatory for as long as Tomlin wants us to be.

It was one year and I bet you there is no repeat performance there.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Bro, most media caught on to him a couple years ago... even the Steelers minority owners wanted Tomlin fired.

Rooneys don’t fire their coaches.

I bet there isn’t a living soul who posts on here who ever saw a Steelers coaches fired.

Tomlin will spew out garbled nonsense and Rooney will buy it, because he’s the only one that has to believe the silliness out of dude’s mouth.

Being angry every week won’t change Tomlin purgatory.

Check back with me in January if you don’t believe me.

He won’t ever go 0-16... or have bad enough seasons to get fired.

So why root for the impossible and be so miserable?

Each win is something to celebrate and enjoy in its own separate vacuum when you are in Tomlin Purgatory.

Eventually you will hopefully figure that out, or you are going to give yourself a stroke.

It would be easier to have this attitude if I didn't watch every game. Same as it was in the Bylsma era - I skipped more than I watched and just was ambivalent about the entire deal until the playoffs. Watching the Steelers every week and seeing the talent being held back by simpletons is just maddening no matter how zen I try to be about it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m a Tomlin hater resigned to reality.

As awful as he is most NFL teams would kill for a coach that can go 8-8 with Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges. That’s why we’re going to be stuck in purgatory for as long as Tomlin wants us to be.

Tomlin Purgatory has two simple rules, but they are extremely difficult for many Steeler fans to accept:

- No SBs
- He will never be fired

So getting mad when they are like 11-1 and losing a game, is silly.

They lost tonight so ya we don’t get to enjoy a win, but it’s not like a losing streak to end this season is costing them a SB.

Why - oh, Tomlin Purgatory!

Wait, I’ll just root for them to lose so he gets fired!

Nope, he won’t get fired no matter what.

Why? Tomlin Purgatory.

Being a Steeler fan is simple when you accept Tomlin Purgatory.

Win a game, enjoy it in a vaccum for a day or two, in the long run of the season it means nothing though.

Lose a game, who cares? It’s not like it means anything either.

tenor.gif

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Tomlin is done after this year folks. Him coming back was always contingent on the team winning something. Maybe losing in the AFCCG to the Chiefs would have been a pass, but it's not going to come to come to that. He was extended 1 year with an ultimatum to win. He's not going to deliver. They'll probably finish the regular season 12-4 after an 11-0 start and get bounced in the first round. And that will be that. Colbert only has a few more seasons left in him and he wants to go out on top. Art II isn't a spring chicken and if he cares at all about his legacy will want to strike while the iron is hot. Letting a guy go after 15 seasons isn't against the Steelers way, and they've given him a decade of super talented teams to win something - he hasn't. So, this is it.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Tomlin is done after this year folks. Him coming back was always contingent on the team winning something. Maybe losing in the AFCCG to the Chiefs would have been a pass, but it's not going to come to come to that. He was extended 1 year with an ultimatum to win. He's not going to deliver. They'll probably finish the regular season 12-4 after an 11-0 start and get bounced in the first round. And that will be that. Colbert only has a few more seasons left in him and he wants to go out on top. Art II isn't a spring chicken and if he cares at all about his legacy will want to strike while the iron is hot. Letting a guy go after 15 seasons isn't against the Steelers way, and they've given him a decade of super talented teams to win something - hasn't. So, this is it.

I'd take that bet.

I don't think there's any way the Steelers fire Tomlin after this year. Though if someone offers us some serious draft compensation for him I hope we'd take it.

Reactions: domaug

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I'm sure they'll dress it up as much as they can, thank him for the years and two SB appearances. But after 10 years of inadequate results, they will move on.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
He isn’t going anywhere.

Art 2 will accept the excuses for injuries and schedules being screwed up and COVID and extend Tomlin another 5 years for that 11-0 start.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I haven’t watched the Steelers in 3 years. I’m waiting for Tomlin to get the axe. I’ve come close to watching a few times this year but I see now the December is here, hell has been unleashed.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
He isn’t going anywhere.

Art 2 will accept the excuses for injuries and schedules being screwed up and COVID and extend Tomlin another 5 years for that 11-0 start.

Coblert and Art would have given him a long-term contract if it's a leave-when-you-want-to situation. It's not. He's gone after this season if he can't bring home the goods.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hmmm

Jank and Matheson haven't even stepped on the ice and you are bugging out about that...yet you havent given up on Tomlin?
I gave up on Tomlin long ago; I haven’t given up on the team finding a way to win despite him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Since the Indians are changing their name, are we no longer allowed to reference Major League?
Watch the Blackhawks continue to justify using a logo that is offensive and pretend their newfound outreach makes up for their usage of the logo with the name.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I haven’t watched the Steelers in 3 years. I’m waiting for Tomlin to get the axe. I’ve come close to watching a few times this year but I see now the December is here, hell has been unleashed.
Tomlin will get more rope then you and I want. If Ben hangs it up after this year, then it's "we never gave him a decent Qb" and it goes another 2-3yrs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well lads, the 11-0 part was fun.

It'll be the usual MT and RF getting excuses from injuries. It's the same shit Bylsma skated by with and Sully the last 3yrs.

I hear it's the standard in Pittsburgh.

Unless it's the Pirates ownership, they don't understand a damned thing.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'd take that bet.

I don't think there's any way the Steelers fire Tomlin after this year. Though if someone offers us some serious draft compensation for him I hope we'd take it.

Yeah but they wouldn't be firing him. Not renewing the contract isn't the same thing. It probably will look better publicly and in the media rather than firing him

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Tomlin will be here next year.

We'll be one and done in the play offs.

We need to fire Fitchner and draft a QB to replace Ben in the future. Rudolph and Dobson are not good enough

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Only way he leaves is if he wants to. He’s a winning coach, at least regular season, and as much as I hate to bring it up...He’s the shining example of the Rooney rule. The Steelers would rather lose in the playoffs than fire the winningest black head coach in history after a 12 or 13 win season. They’d get absolutely roasted.

I wish as a society we were beyond that. But if you look around, we absolutely are not. 2020 put an even bigger light on some issues. You can’t push for more diversity and fire him in the same breath when he has the W/L record he does.

So I guess accept it and move on. It’s not like we go 6-10 every other year or anything, so at least we get to enjoy W’s more often than not.

Reactions: Bingo71

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Only way he leaves is if he wants to. He’s a winning coach, at least regular season, and as much as I hate to bring it up...He’s the shining example of the Rooney rule. The Steelers would rather lose in the playoffs than fire the winningest black head coach in history after a 12 or 13 win season. They’d get absolutely roasted.

I wish as a society we were beyond that. But if you look around, we absolutely are not. 2020 put an even bigger light on some issues. You can’t push for more diversity and fire him in the same breath when he has the W/L record he does.

So I guess accept it and move on. It’s not like we go 6-10 every other year or anything, so at least we get to enjoy W’s more often than not.

It really has nothing to do with the Rooney Rule.

Tomlin could be fired in January and not a soul could ever have a legit complaint about his firing being race related.

The Rooneys simply don’t fire coaches. Period.

Again, who up in here has ever seen a Steelers coach get fired?

We still have people above living in a dreamworld and not accepting Tomlin is here until he chooses to move along ala Noll and Cowher.

Rooney after the season:

“He went 12-4/13-3... he lost Bush and Bud... maybe next year...”

Tomlin has to be fed up and want to move on, find another challenge, but he knows he won’t be afforded the luxuries of failing over and over with another org.

So why would he ever want to leave, exactly?

Reactions: OnMyOwn

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'll be shocked if we win another game all year.

Coaching has once again ruined what should have been a legitimate contender. Injuries only come into play so much.

There isn't a legitimate title winning coach anywhere on this franchise. Not at the top, not at the coordinator level.

It's a good ole boys network of supreme ineptitude.

Reactions: Bingo71

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry, but injuries have done more to ruin this than any coaching decision.

I think people put too much stock into the 11-0 run to start the season. I have no doubt the Steelers would have lost a game or two along the way if they had been playing in full stadiums. And thus, the expectations would be way more reasonable.

I'm happy the team is making the playoffs and will have a shot at winning a championship. But as long as Mahomes is around, I can see the chance of that is extremely low. He is just on another level. And I'm going to enjoy the Steelers season as much as I can and not worry about the outcomes. Because, I honestly, have no say in them, so why get worked up about it.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Only way Tomlin isn't here next season is if he chooses. And that's only happening if we win the SB (hahahahahahaha) and/or Ben hangs it up.

edit: The "and/or" is for the Ben decision. I could see a scenario where he leaves if we don't win. Tired/injured/ready to retire.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad